New SAT question

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: SAT/ACT Tests and Test Preparation: April 2004 Archive: New SAT question
By Titanz05 (Titanz05) on Friday, April 02, 2004 - 11:18 pm: Edit

I understand that the "new SAT" will being in March 2005. It will have no analogies, more math, and an ESSAY.

i'm a sophmore and graduating high school in 2006; will i have to take the "new SAT" ?
I really dont wanna be the first class to take the new SAT because itd we weird and i wouldnt know how to prepare for it ahead of time.

should i / can i take the SAT before March 2005 and would it be cool with colleges?

I also heard colleges REQUIRE sophmores to take the new SAT..

any remarks apprecaited.

By Haithman (Haithman) on Friday, April 02, 2004 - 11:28 pm: Edit

Well I am also a sophomore but I just plan on taking the current SAT in June because I feel I can score pretty high. The UC's will require the New SAT but from what i've heard all other schools will still accept the current SAT as long as you also supply an SAT II Writing component.

By Songster87 (Songster87) on Saturday, April 03, 2004 - 04:39 pm: Edit

If you live in a Northeastern state where the SAT dominates and you opt to take the ACT instead...colleges aren't stupid. They'll knew something is up.

Likewise, if you're in the sophomore test and you try to rush in and take the old SAT to avoid the new one, colleges will be very wary and suspicious of you.

If you study the same way as for the old SAT and for the SAT II writing, you should be fine. Everyone's standards will be lower, as well. And since everyone will do worse, you will be at no disadvantage.

In fact, an argument can be made for the BENEFIT of the new SAT. Because the new SAT means that studying will hard to do, which means you won't feel obligated to study as much. =)

By Xiggi (Xiggi) on Saturday, April 03, 2004 - 05:34 pm: Edit

Colleges will not hold a pre 2005 score AGAINST you. There are many student who used sophomores and junior scores as their final scores. It is a good idea to have a game plan that entails mutliple sittings for SAT and SATII. The earlier you start the better it is. In case you happened to score your target score, you are done and can focus on other elements like SATII or AP.

We all know that most schools will require a writing test. There is nothing against presenting a combo of SAT1 and SAT-II writing. Except for the UC system -the usual genius of the SAT- I do not believe that there are any other schools who have made the post 2005 SAT mandatory.

This being said, I still believe that the post 2005 test will be easier for most students who apply to selective schools. The material is not that harder, there will be less tricky questions, and, most importantly the average score HAS to remain in the 500-520 range. This should all point out to a more generous curve similar to the Math-IIC.

In my book, the best options seem to prepare for one or two winter 2004 SAT and also take the March 2005 test. Options galore!

By Magoo112 (Magoo112) on Saturday, April 03, 2004 - 06:15 pm: Edit

NO ANALOGIES?!?! MORE MATH?!?! omg I wish I was a year younger =(

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page