AP Biology - Overwhelmed

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: SAT/ACT Tests and Test Preparation: April 2004 Archive: AP Biology - Overwhelmed
By Number9 (Number9) on Friday, April 02, 2004 - 08:57 pm: Edit

Right now, our class has just started getting into populations and such. I've been reading chapters on my own, and will probably finish the rest of my book by the time the class finishes the end of the unit. I've picked up Cliff's AP and have been going over the first few chapters, and I am incredibly overwhelmed.

I just cannot see how I can know all this abstract stuff. It isn't easy like history or something like that. I'm really striving for a 5 because I need as many good test scores because my rank and ECs are mediocre (in my view at least).

Can anyone ease my fears (or perhaps make me even more scared straight) by telling me good strategies and ways to maximize my learning (especially from Cliff's). I've been taking the multiple choice questions at the end of Cliff's sections, and been getting a majority correct, however a majority of time, they are uncertain half-guesses.

So can anyone tell me how to approach this exam from their experience?

By Scorp (Scorp) on Friday, April 02, 2004 - 09:16 pm: Edit

Oh please man, We're did not start ecology, the unit on evolution, or anything -- so relax. Read on your own, rock on.

By Number9 (Number9) on Friday, April 02, 2004 - 10:03 pm: Edit

Its not so much the fact that the class is behind, but the fact that Cliff's contains so much ideas and vocabulary, that I just cannot finding myself remembering most of it.

By Best_Wr (Best_Wr) on Saturday, April 03, 2004 - 03:20 am: Edit

i just got into ecology (by myself-my class is almost useless), and i'll finish just 3 wks before the test. just going over the cliffs and I think cliffs is way simpler than the book. it just has core concepts (i use sixth edition of some big book and read it all). just know them.

By Skiowad (Skiowad) on Saturday, April 03, 2004 - 09:04 am: Edit

my school is block schedule and i had biology first semester and we never did alot on the last few parts(pops, animals, plants, etc). so i know how u feel. i can do the MC's pretty well, i think i can get a 3 just w/ the MC part, but the essays is where it gets me cuz then u have to know the sequences and stuff. does anyone have any good tips? thanx

By Texas137 (Texas137) on Saturday, April 03, 2004 - 10:40 am: Edit

Number 9 - I bought one of those red boxes of flash cards for bio. It's all vocab and key concepts,like Cliffs, but it's easy to arrange the cards into little piles and deal them in and out as you master the info on them. Of course, making your own cards would be even better. Sometimes just figuring out what to put on the card and writing it out is all that you need to fix it in your mind. But if you're unsure what's most important, the commercial ones seem to be pretty good.

By Number9 (Number9) on Saturday, April 03, 2004 - 11:39 pm: Edit

Any idea who makes the cards, Mr. Texas?

By Texas137 (Texas137) on Sunday, April 04, 2004 - 12:51 am: Edit

There might be other versions of the same thing. The one I bought is "Aces Exambusters Biology Study Cards", available on Amazon.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page