SAT II AMERICAN HISTORY- How is Barron's?

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: SAT/ACT Tests and Test Preparation: April 2004 Archive: SAT II AMERICAN HISTORY- How is Barron's?
By Netmet (Netmet) on Friday, April 02, 2004 - 03:07 pm: Edit

Hey guys----I'm planning on taking the SAT II in USHISTORY in May and am planning on studying for it primarily out of Barrons SAT II Rev book...Has anyone used Barrons for USH Sat 2? How did it work out? Thanks..any response would be helpful.

By Antique (Antique) on Friday, April 02, 2004 - 10:42 pm: Edit

I'm wondering about the same thing. Is REA's any better than Barron's?

By Aspirer42 (Aspirer42) on Friday, April 02, 2004 - 11:28 pm: Edit

The study guide is a nice summation and a decent resource, but please take every last one of the diagnostic and practice tests, rip them out of every Barrons' book (including the ones in the store, if you wish), and burn them completely at your first opportunity. They are inane, pedantic, and have little to no correlation to the actual SATII in US History.

That said, I used Barrons', AMSCO, and my trivia-collecting brain and got something around a 780 on the test last December--halfway through the class, no less. I didn't use REA, but I would highly reccomend buying AMSCO if you don't have a good review book in your hands already.

Hope some of that helps. Anyone else is more than welcome to agree with or completely bash what I have to say.

By Spright (Spright) on Saturday, April 03, 2004 - 09:20 am: Edit

So do you find the Barron's tests overly difficult or just inane?

I've been doing horribly on them, and thought I was actually fairly decent at US History...

Where can you get the AMSCO book?

By Milltime51 (Milltime51) on Saturday, April 03, 2004 - 09:23 am: Edit

I am looking for a book and don't have one already. Should I not get Barron's? is AMSCO definitely the best? I've never even heard of AMSCO...

By Crypto86 (Crypto86) on Saturday, April 03, 2004 - 10:36 am: Edit

I have the AMSCO book for AP US. It's really good. Better than Barrons I believe.

By Aspirer42 (Aspirer42) on Sunday, April 04, 2004 - 06:00 am: Edit

Spright: Both. Princeton Review seemed to have somewhat accurate questions, but I literally just skimmed through it a couple of days before the test...

AMSCO is the book many APUSH classes are asked to buy for supplemental reading. I would guess Amazon would have it, or you could find your local AP US Hist teacher (if you have one) and ask him/her where to buy it.

I wouldn't not recommend Barrons' outright; I just think there are better resources you can get for your money.

By Tallyrand (Tallyrand) on Sunday, April 04, 2004 - 06:46 am: Edit

Get Barron's. I used it, and it was super-helpful. The questions are harder than those on the SAT, and that prepares you well for the exam.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page