Statistics class enrollement- should I do it?

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: SAT/ACT Tests and Test Preparation: April 2004 Archive: Statistics class enrollement- should I do it?
By Ecnerwalc (Ecnerwalc) on Thursday, April 01, 2004 - 11:34 pm: Edit

When registering for my classes next year, I found that my school will offer a new class- statistics. I have always been planning to take Calculus senior year and now I don't know what to do with this new class. Can anyone tell me what statistics is like? How hard is it compared with Calculus? Do you think that I should take both classes?(if possible -likely)

By Andrew123s (Andrew123s) on Friday, April 02, 2004 - 03:36 pm: Edit

Do not take Statistics instead of Calculus (it will look lightweight to adcoms).

By Ecnerwalc (Ecnerwalc) on Friday, April 02, 2004 - 06:33 pm: Edit

How light is the coursework in Statistics? I will take calculus no matter what. I was just wondering whether I can take two ap math classes in one year. I am doing fine in precal now.

By Hollaratme (Hollaratme) on Friday, April 02, 2004 - 06:47 pm: Edit

yeah im doing ap calc AB and ap Stats next year

stats is supposed to be a joke

By Nlkrueger (Nlkrueger) on Saturday, April 03, 2004 - 03:25 pm: Edit

I, like Ecnerwalc, am perhaps going to try taking it as a senior along with Calculus (BC) AP.

Does anyone have any information about the coursework, difficulty of the class and the AP test?

By Anijen21 (Anijen21) on Saturday, April 03, 2004 - 06:20 pm: Edit

I'm a junior and I've been taking AP Statistics and Pre-Calculus

It's not too bad. It's hard to have two math classes in one year because it gets...boring. But AP Statistics isn't any harder than any math class I've had before. Unlike most math classes, it's a lot of writing sentences rather than math work, but your calculator can basically do everything and you really don't have to memorize any of the formuals. Provided you have the time in your schedule, I would definitely advise taking both AP Statistics and AP Calc.

By Captcalculus (Captcalculus) on Saturday, April 03, 2004 - 06:39 pm: Edit

ap stat is a joke. i slept through it all, made b's in the cclass and got a 5 on the AP

By Nlkrueger (Nlkrueger) on Saturday, April 03, 2004 - 08:57 pm: Edit

That helps me a bit.
I'm 95% sure I'll take it now, but it's the rest of my schedule that worries me.

By Feuler (Feuler) on Saturday, April 03, 2004 - 11:06 pm: Edit

I would recommend learning AP Stat, but not taking the class. I took Calc BC in 10th grade and thought about doing Stat 11th grade, but decided to be on newspaper staff instead (and to take math online through EPGY at Stanford); I have not regretted the decision in the least.

However, fearing it would look bad, I decided I would learn AP Stat anyway and picked up a Barron's review guide. The material is very easy, and I am almost positive I'll get a 5 on the AP. However, the material is also very interesting and applicable, so I would recommend that anyone learn it, but I don't think spending all the time to take a class is worth it.

By Yoyomama04 (Yoyomama04) on Saturday, April 03, 2004 - 11:43 pm: Edit

In my school statistics has a lot of homework. I signed up to take statistics the same year as trig, but they gave them to me in the same semester and I had to drop statistics - I had more than 90 minutes of homework every night for that class, when I already had AP and honors classes out the wazoo.

I would not want to take stats and calculus at the same time, unless you're a math genius or don't have a life. If you have to choose, definitely take calculus. You can take statistics in college.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page