TI-89 Functions

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: SAT/ACT Tests and Test Preparation: April 2004 Archive: TI-89 Functions
By Mrbesch (Mrbesch) on Thursday, April 01, 2004 - 10:59 pm: Edit

Hi,

I recently purchased a TI-89 (not for SAT I, for precalc class) and I know it has many useful, time saving features on it that are great for SAT I questions (most notably the solve( function). I have yet to discover them all because I've had the thing for about 2 weeks. Does anyone know any helpful "shortcut" functions, or functions they found useful besides the "ON" function and the "ENTER" function?

Also, is there a Mario game for the TI-89? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

One last thing- Am I the only one who would never do it with Whoopi Goldberg, not even to preserve humanity?

By Neelesh (Neelesh) on Thursday, April 01, 2004 - 11:04 pm: Edit

go to

www.ticalc.org/pub/89/

there, you will find basic, and asm programs..you will figure out the difference...
that site has a ton of games and programs..the best site
get smq, the best mario game ever created. it has a ton of levels, and its hard to beat, and very fun to play...its called space monkey quest, but its actually mario.

just practice using ur 89 on problems, and just explore your calc, also, read your user manual on the basics of the calc, its good.
i have an 89, and i did just that, now im like an expert on my 89..its very useful..good luck to you

also, i would do it if it was to perserve humanity...i mean, come on, its humanity!

By Mrbesch (Mrbesch) on Friday, April 02, 2004 - 04:30 pm: Edit

*bows to Neelesh* Thank you.

By Songster87 (Songster87) on Friday, April 02, 2004 - 06:47 pm: Edit

I have a TI-89, but I like it mainly for its user interface more than anything else...

It takes about twice as long to type an SAT I equation into the TI-89 than it does to solve it by hand.

Of course, the TI-89 is faster at some things, like maybe factoring, solving, or expanding polynomials of power 3 or greater... but how often does that show up on an SAT I?

By Succor101 (Succor101) on Sunday, April 04, 2004 - 04:44 pm: Edit

89 has some cool math functions:

factor(n)------factors integer n into primes

lcm(a,b)-------least common multiple of a and b

gcd(a,b)-------greatest common denominator of a and b

anyway, 89 won't be really useful until calc for you 'cause it does symbolic differrentiation and integration

I agree w/ neelesh in that the best mario for 89 is smq. However, smq requires a shell like doors or universal, so be aware of that. If you don't want to install a shell, you can get the lame "anothermario"

finally, about whoopi goldberg, you should realize that she is prbably too old to "preserve humanity"...

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page