APES help

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: SAT/ACT Tests and Test Preparation: March 2004 Archive: APES help
By Emmittsmith (Emmittsmith) on Tuesday, March 30, 2004 - 07:03 pm: Edit

I'm not sure if I've learned enough to do well on the AP enviro science test. My teacher is good, but this is his first year doing this. The class took a portion of a Barron's practice test and no one did really well. I know Barron's is unnecessarily hard in some cases, but I'm still concerned.

Does anyone have any advice on how I should go about prepping for the exam? Anyone know any good review guides?

Thanks in advance!

By Xjay2max (Xjay2max) on Tuesday, March 30, 2004 - 07:35 pm: Edit

Well, my teacher has been doing APES since it has been instituted in my school and she has a 90% rate for 4+ on the AP exam for the past 3 years.

I am assuming that you are using Miller - Living in the Environment.

I only know of Barron's that is out at this moment; however, my teacher told us that the book is absolute crap and should be used for multiple choice (even this is in question) for the test.

She has made us outline every chapter in the book; in the end, the APES exam as of now is basically the Miller textbook, which is the reason so many high school APES classes use it.

By Emmittsmith (Emmittsmith) on Tuesday, March 30, 2004 - 08:00 pm: Edit

Actually, my teacher has two copies of the Miller book and said it was very good, but the book we're using now is crap (we only have it because the past teacher got it).

Hm so do you think I should skim through the Miller book? I only have a month though :/

By Emmittsmith (Emmittsmith) on Wednesday, March 31, 2004 - 03:44 pm: Edit

bump

By Miamiman (Miamiman) on Wednesday, March 31, 2004 - 07:22 pm: Edit

Hey

I took APES last year as a sophomore and I'd like to let you know that the BARRRONS book is SUPER EXACERBATINGLY EXCRUCIATINGLY OVERANALYZING IN THE SUBJECT. basically it goes into way way waaaaaaaaaaaay too much detail. The only study guide you can use is the Miller textbook.

We didnt have a teacher last year (maternity leave) so we were left with a sub and the miller textbooks. I just picked up and read a dozen or so pages a day and took some notes (study the Cycles!!!!!!!, and the 8 main enviro problems - Overpopulation, Global Warming, Nuclear issues, acid rain, ozone depletion - just to name a few)

anyways use the miller textbook. study it well and you'll get a 5 just like i did

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page