VOCAB LIST----> HELP PLEASE!!!!!!!

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: SAT/ACT Tests and Test Preparation: April 2004 Archive: VOCAB LIST----> HELP PLEASE!!!!!!!
By Foreigngirl (Foreigngirl) on Tuesday, March 30, 2004 - 04:58 pm: Edit

can anyone recommend a good vocab list for the SAT 1 test? On the internet or available in stores? Internet would be better for me since I dont live in the US. THANKS

By Yermama (Yermama) on Tuesday, March 30, 2004 - 08:34 pm: Edit

hm, not sure about internet...but i used SAT Verbal Workbook from Kaplan. Didn't use it for anything else but memorizing words (don't use it for anything else, it's bad). And I am positive my score jumped a LOT. it really helped, i'll let you know how much i went up when i get my score next week

By Arow (Arow) on Tuesday, March 30, 2004 - 09:44 pm: Edit

ugh..

the last thing we need is some encouragement for people to memorize 3000words.

You should know that memorizing those wordlists won't earn you 1600 or whatever you want.

By Songster87 (Songster87) on Wednesday, March 31, 2004 - 04:27 am: Edit

People tend to bash vocabulary lists too much.

But the fact is, the SAT verbal is a combination of three things: logic, reading comprehension, and vocabulary. If you lack in any of the three, you won't do well.

The best evidence supporting vocabulary's importance on the SAT is the fact that they're revising the SAT in order to de-emphasize vocabulary... implying it has too much emphasis currently.

I can list several people off the top of my head (including myself) who got 800V's despite reading only for school (and not even always that...sparknotes) and using word lists.

The hard way to get an 800V is to read voraciously.

The easy way is to think logically on every question, be able to perfectly understand the passages (which are about the level of 9th english class), and having a decent vocabulary.

I used Word Smart to build vocab and it's very nice. Pure word lists are forgettable but Word Smart is memorable.

By Shhh (Shhh) on Wednesday, March 31, 2004 - 02:55 pm: Edit

how about the UP YOUR SCORE vocab list? Anyone have any comments on that?

Actually you can probably make up for your lack of vocab by using logic. I have a miniscule vocab and only missed 3 analogies on my SATs.

By Shhh (Shhh) on Wednesday, March 31, 2004 - 02:56 pm: Edit

Songster- its not so much reading comprehension as the ability to stay awake during really REALLY boring passages... thats what hurt me lol

By Songster87 (Songster87) on Wednesday, March 31, 2004 - 06:17 pm: Edit

Yeah, that happens to me during practice SATs. But I'm a really strong test taker and I can make myself focus for that brief span of 3 hours. =P While doing homework or studying, however, I have the attention span of a three-year-old.

By Arow (Arow) on Wednesday, March 31, 2004 - 07:58 pm: Edit

what is wordsmart?

By Yoyomama04 (Yoyomama04) on Wednesday, March 31, 2004 - 09:18 pm: Edit

I have Word Smart and would suggest that book. Great word list.

By Yoyomama04 (Yoyomama04) on Wednesday, March 31, 2004 - 09:29 pm: Edit

Hey, Arow, I didn't see your post somehow and just suggested the book you asked about...Word Smart is a vocab book that also has tips for learning and memorizing new words. It's extremely useful.

By Impatheticiknow (Impatheticiknow) on Thursday, April 01, 2004 - 01:59 am: Edit

ARCO words for smart test takers...it is the only word list you need

By Mrbesch (Mrbesch) on Thursday, April 01, 2004 - 11:01 pm: Edit

Hey Songster, which Word Smart book(s) did you have? Edition 1, edition 2, or both?

By Poison_Ivy (Poison_Ivy) on Friday, April 02, 2004 - 05:11 pm: Edit

Here is the best I can do..... sorry if its not enough.

http://img.sparknotes.com/buy/testprep/sat.vocab.pdf

By Neelesh (Neelesh) on Friday, April 02, 2004 - 09:06 pm: Edit

i suggest Hot Words for the SAT I, created my Linda Carnavle (or something like that) its made by barrons, and i memorized all the 350-380 (how many?) words, and guess what, A LOT of these words showed up on the real exam. you may know some of these words, but the book is realy good. i liked it. i like its word clustering-it organizes the words into similar meaning sections, and so it really helps when your memorizing them...this book is really good, also, Princeton Review's Hit Parade from the SAT I book is also really good, many of the words were on the test also...

good luck!

By Foreigngirl (Foreigngirl) on Saturday, April 03, 2004 - 06:09 pm: Edit

Thanks a lot for all of your help, especially you Poison Ivy, I printed all those pages (wow, that was A LOT!!! LOL)...anyhow, I also have an SAT book, which is called "SAT SUCCESS" by Liza Kleinman and Maureen Steddin, appeared in Peterson's/Thomson Learning. Does anyone of you know that? Is it good, can you recommend the wordlist in there?

By Captcalculus (Captcalculus) on Saturday, April 03, 2004 - 06:52 pm: Edit

to get from 1150 to 1410, i studied vocab words and did practice tests from real sats. also, from now on whenever you are reading, make sure to look up words you dont know.

By Yermama (Yermama) on Sunday, April 04, 2004 - 01:05 am: Edit

despite people bashing vocab lists, they really do help...why not raise your score a few points if you can, just by glancing over a few words everyday? even if you don't memorize the definitions (i certainly didn't), you feel much more confident if youve seen the word and have a general idea of what it means, and it will be in context on the SAT so there's no need to go memorizing like crazy

By Feuler (Feuler) on Sunday, April 04, 2004 - 01:29 am: Edit

On the topic of people bashing vocab lists- while I agree with the pragmatic stance that you might as well raise your score, I also think that memorizing vocab is useful for more that just the SAT.

I memorized a bunch of words for the purpose of raising my SAT score, and it did, but I also noticed that I saw the words a lot in documents and literature, thus I had to do a lot less running to the dictionary.

So memorizing vocab can be helpful in LIFE (as long as you read a lot too), not just on the SAT.

By Stanforduniv (Stanforduniv) on Monday, April 05, 2004 - 06:18 pm: Edit

People used to tell me that 800 verbals are only possible if you read a lot. Well frankly, I dont. Actually, I dont read at all. Basically, I couldnt see myself getting a perfect SAT verbal score with all the pessimistic talk people were giving me. I studied vocabulary from a Kaplan workbook, (mind you I worked like a beast 4 hours a day for 12 days) but I got a 790 on the verbal section. Reading defintely helps, but dont get down thinking its the only way to do well on the SAT.

By Studyguy346 (Studyguy346) on Monday, April 05, 2004 - 10:52 pm: Edit

Something I found helpful was to find relatively small lists of "common SAT words" (about 100-200 words each) and look them over. When I was confident with a word on the list, I crossed it out. When I took the SAT in March, I knew most of the words on the exam.

By Feuler (Feuler) on Tuesday, April 06, 2004 - 12:20 am: Edit

If you're still looking for more places, www.number2.com worked pretty well for me for a way to learn vocab (I got 790V and barely read at all).

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page