Real SATs, Barrons or Princeton Review?

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: SAT/ACT Tests and Test Preparation: March 2004 Archive: Real SATs, Barrons or Princeton Review?
By Marestar20 (Marestar20) on Monday, March 29, 2004 - 02:42 pm: Edit

Which books would you guys reccomend for studying for SAT I and IIs - Real SATs, Barrons or Princeton Review?

- Mary

By Hegemony (Hegemony) on Monday, March 29, 2004 - 02:48 pm: Edit

Theyre all boring, read real books and place all your stake in the verbal section

Seriously, burn all guides.

By Songster87 (Songster87) on Monday, March 29, 2004 - 03:22 pm: Edit

It takes maybe 10 hours to read a real book. It takes 2.5 hours to take a 10 Real SATs practice test. You can either take 8 practice tests or read two real books.

The extra two books aren't going to help. The verbal section boils down to three things: logic, reading comprehension, and vocabulary in that order. If you checked EVERY SINGLE WRONG answer you got in a verbal section (as well as look up ALL unfamaliar words found in EVERY test). And then if you realize why you got it wrong and why the correct answer is correct, an 800V is guaranteed after 10 practice tests.

Most people make the mistake of blindly doing them, correcting them, and not bothering to see what they got wrong and WHY. Also, make sure you check the ones you guessed on but still got wrong.

There is no substitute for real SATs to practice on because Barron's and PR and every other company's tests have distinctively different styles and they are more of a hindrance than a help.

If you're still not scoring perfect 1600s consistently by the end of the 10 Real SATs, you can contact Xiggi to order more old SATs not in 10 Real SATs.

As for vocabulary, I actually would reccomend the PR's book "Word Smart." But do NOT make flash cards and do NOT pore and labor over it. Instead, what I did was divide it into 3 chunks and then read and go over each chunk twice in 1.5-2 hours. That was 5 hours total. Then, after knowing the entire book, I waited about a week and then spent 1.5 hours to read the entire book again. Waited another week, and then spent another 1.5 hours to read the entire book. That was just 8 hours total and in that time, I knew all 800+ words in the book by heart. Again, you don't want to labor over the words and the examples if you already know them or more or less know them. That was a good vocab foundation and unlike Barron's 3500 word list, I actually remembered the words. I also spent the night before the SAT skimming through Word Smart 2, but that wasn't as important.

Anyway, come test time, I knew all but the 1-2 hardest vocab words on the test and real SAT practice allowed me to guess correctly the ones I did not know.

By Mrbesch (Mrbesch) on Monday, March 29, 2004 - 04:11 pm: Edit

Hey Songster, which Word Smart book(s) did you use? How did you do on the SAT? Did you memorize each word, or read the word and move on?

Your technique sounds interesting. How did you start out in terms of your score, math and verbal and how did it increase as you took practice SATs?

By Firebird12637 (Firebird12637) on Monday, March 29, 2004 - 06:01 pm: Edit

10 Reals > PR + Barrons.

By Flameball63 (Flameball63) on Monday, March 29, 2004 - 06:04 pm: Edit

Don't say that guys...
My Rec: (I didn't do so hot, but I know that if I really have followed through with these books, it would have been...HEAVEN...!!!).
Use: Grubers for Math. Princeton Review for Verbal Practice and some quick math review.
10 Reals is the best...but, use it along the previous too. If you like word lists, use Kaplan's 2000+ words(I knew all the words on this March SAT)...I loved the list.

By 5sjoh (5sjoh) on Monday, March 29, 2004 - 06:21 pm: Edit

what if you already finished 10 reals ?
should i go back and do those problems again and again? because i didn't really go back and study
over them especially those critical reading problems and i'm really bad at critical reading and analogy
oh btw for those of u who got 700-800 in verbal
any tips on how to improve ur score on critical reading and analogy? I'm really struggling in critical reading :(

By Shaka (Shaka) on Monday, March 29, 2004 - 06:52 pm: Edit

All i can say is...bad planning...cuz i saved a couple tests for my 2nd try at SAT1 next semester ;)

By Ecnerwalc (Ecnerwalc) on Monday, March 29, 2004 - 07:03 pm: Edit

"you can contact Xiggi to order more old SATs not in 10 Real SATs. "

Will he charge?

By Marestar20 (Marestar20) on Tuesday, March 30, 2004 - 06:23 pm: Edit

Bump

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page