For those who got a 1400-1600 on the SAT!!!

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: SAT/ACT Tests and Test Preparation: March 2004 Archive: For those who got a 1400-1600 on the SAT!!!
By Flipdude04 (Flipdude04) on Monday, March 29, 2004 - 02:31 pm: Edit

hey guys, i just want to know how you guys studied for the SAT test...if you could recommend something to underclassmen...what would it be? how's your social life? do you watch t.v.? go out a lot? etc. pls. i need some insight....(most specially on verbal SAT section...how'd you study for that?)...thank you....

By Chen (Chen) on Monday, March 29, 2004 - 02:42 pm: Edit

Reading won't help you now. Just take the tests multiple times and check each and every one of your answers, reading explanation for why teh answer is right or not (don't pour over them tho!). My social life is OK. I watch a lot of TV. A lot of people get good scores, and they have great social lives.

By Skiowad (Skiowad) on Monday, March 29, 2004 - 03:26 pm: Edit

i got a 1370 first time. does that count? i never really studied for it. i took practice tests but never looked back at them that much. i sucked at verbal, cant really help u there. but i did better on my practice tests and the real thing on weeks that i had read. i was a lot of TV, or at least it seems so to me(2-3 hours a day). social life is ok.

By Tinkerchelle (Tinkerchelle) on Monday, March 29, 2004 - 03:45 pm: Edit

I got a 1460 on my PSATs (just took my SATs last weekend, so don't know), but I do three varsity sports, take all AP/honors classes, and a bunch of leadership positions...and STILL have lots of time to waste...you can always make time. Practice...pratice...practice, if you want to improve. Also, it doesn't do much, but subscribe to dictionary.com's word of the day in your email :)

By Gmf05 (Gmf05) on Monday, March 29, 2004 - 04:12 pm: Edit

I didn't spend a lot of time studying (1470 PSAT) for the March SAT. The week before I did like all of the practices in 10 Real SATs, but otherwise you can't really "study" for the SAT - just know how the test works and the kind of strategies you need. Personally, I do lots of leadership/club/sports stuff as well and have tons of time on weekends anyway. But that's me...

By Hegemony (Hegemony) on Monday, March 29, 2004 - 05:20 pm: Edit

1510, but im bad at math, so all I can say there is to practice ur reasoning skills through taking math classes.

I debate - it's extremely valuable for verbal. You gain a large level of exposure to academic literature which frequently uses the type of verbage seen on the SAT. You could also seek out this without the activity (albeit without the in-round absorption benefit).

By Ecnerwalc (Ecnerwalc) on Monday, March 29, 2004 - 07:12 pm: Edit

1430 PSAT. I do a lot of extracirricular activities at my school with several leadership positions. (including debate- yes, debate helps! raised my verbal score 80 points after debating for half a year.) Do one sport- track.
For verbal improvement, I would recommend going through word lists (grubers, barron's, kaplans) and circling words that you don't know. Then, type out word lists that contain about 20-25 words that you don't know. I then transfer the lists to a Palm Pilot and read then where ever I go. (VERY HANDY) AT least this is how I study word lists.
Analogies- miss 1. Sentence completions- miss 0.

I don't have anything to say in reading comprehension.

By Irene975 (Irene975) on Tuesday, March 30, 2004 - 02:00 am: Edit

I got 1580 (M 780, V 800) second try. I guess I studied quite a bit, a few hours each day.. I learnt lists of vocab (it's indispensable) and tried to use them in everyday life. For math, I tried to do as many practice tests as possible - there isn't really all that much to learn.

Oh, and I certainly did have a social life :) It's also really important to keep sport up - it not only makes you feel a whole lot better, but it actually benefits your brain.
Good luck! :)

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page