AP European History Major Topics

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: SAT/ACT Tests and Test Preparation: April 2004 Archive: AP European History Major Topics
By Scee3 (Scee3) on Sunday, March 28, 2004 - 01:10 pm: Edit

Hello!
I'm starting to study for the May exam, and, flipping through my textbook right now, I am pretty overwhelmed. Basically, I pretty much know nothing, as my teacher doesn't teach anything. For those who have taken the exam or are going to take it, what are the major topic I should focus on?
Looking at my textbook right now, I've got quite a few topics that I want to learn thoroughly, and its just too much! I'm not very good at picking out what topics are very important and what are secondary, that I don't have to review as thoroughly...

Renaissance
Protestant, English, and Catholic Reformations
The religious and civil wars (Three Henrys, 30 Years', Spanish Armada)
Absolutism and constitutionalism in Western and Eastern Europe
Scientific Revolution
Enlightenment
Agricultural Revolution and Cottage Industry
War of the Spanish Succession, Austrian Succession, 7 Years'
The American, French Revlutions and Napoleonic Era
Industrial Revolution in Britain, then Continental Europe
Romanticism, Revolutions of 1848
Urban Life (bacterial revolutions, Paris remodeling, realism)
Nation Building (Italy, Germany [Bismarck], France, Russia)
Imperialism
World War I and Russian Revolution
World War II

Just thinking about it makes my head hurt...I just don't know which ones are 'more important' than the others...so any suggestions would be appreciated...a lot!

By Redqueen (Redqueen) on Thursday, April 01, 2004 - 02:10 pm: Edit

Look at the Collegeboard website, under AP European History, then click on the blue course description. It goes over the major topics covered, sample questions, sample essay topics, what a good essay will include, major themes, how the AP readers grade essays, and what the criteria are for getting a good grade (4 or 5). It's all there, and best of all, it's free, more than sixty pages worth. It's intended as a teacher resource, so maybe because your teacher isn't really teaching you, you can use it as a surrogate (spelled that right?). Anyway, good luck, and hopefully the European History test isn't too hard this year (for both of our sakes).

By Socalnick (Socalnick) on Thursday, April 01, 2004 - 04:06 pm: Edit

dont forget the cold war

By Apg (Apg) on Friday, April 02, 2004 - 06:17 am: Edit

Socalnick has a good point. I would extend it by saying that you should take any time that you would use for studying the 30 yrs war and focus on the cold war. There was a pretty straightfoward cold war FRQ last year and there is a good possibility of another one. Also, there is almost ALWAYS a FRQ that relates to absolutism.

By Yellow (Yellow) on Saturday, April 03, 2004 - 08:42 am: Edit

here is a list of topics my euro teacher gave us:

renaissance
reformation and counter reformation
age of discovery and religious wars
absolutism in france/constitutionalism in england
absolutism in eastern europe
building the transatlantic economy
pre-industrial social lives
scientific revolution and enlightenment
french revolution
industrial revolution
1814-1848
age of nationalism
post industrial social lives
age of imperialism
wwI
russian revolution
age of anxiety (between the wars)
wwII
post war/cold war

while the social chapters are pretty easy, don't ignore them b/c i hear there tend to be a good amount of questions on that kind of stuff.

some of the free response questions tend to be kind of bizarre questions that unless for some reason you studied like peasants in poland specifically or european feminist movements you aren't going to want to write those essays...if you leave out a topic in studying there is a possibility you feel as though you can't write any of the essays.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page