Good ways to study

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: SAT/ACT Tests and Test Preparation: April 2004 Archive: Good ways to study
By Scigeekgirl88 (Scigeekgirl88) on Sunday, March 28, 2004 - 02:08 am: Edit

I went to a local bookstore and bought a package of SAT/ACT "crap"... Books, manuals, flashcards, the whole kit & caboodle.
Even though I won't take my SAT until about this time next year, (ACT... a month or so sooner) I've come up with some ways to study quickly and efficiently... So if you're in a bind, this will work, and if you've got time, you will be able to learn even more words and whatnot.

1. Make vocab flashcards!!! (or buy them)
I have at least 500 right now, and I keep adding to the pile (see below), and I have broken up the deck into about 20 different piles. I go through about 5 - 7 piles per month (of course, it's very easy to do more than that). I will put a mini-deck by the toilet, in my purse, on my nightstand, and in the refrigerator (not to mention more normal places, like notebooks). I'm only in the bathroom a minute, but that's really all you need to practice a couple words. If you visit the bathroom 3 times daily, you can go through a whole mini-deck, and within a week, you have it memorized! You really haven't done anything extraordinary except... Use the facilities! Always have the cards with you because they really do kill time... And you really do learn them!
---> This also works for math + physics equations, though I'm not entirely sure which ones you ought to know for the tests and which ones will be provided.

2. Read and look up words you don't know. It sounds so elementary (primarily because it is), but it's really helpful. They even make books that are written just for SAT/ACT takers... They are (I'm assuming) fun little stories with many vocab words in them. Of course, novels work wonders, too.
---> Write the words down on flashcards so you can keep studying them and transfer them into your longterm memory!
---> Use vocab in your everyday speech (this works great with your parents and with teachers, they think Oh my god, what a genius!)

3. Go ahead and splurge about $30... Invest in a test prep CD-ROM. The one I have is INCREDIBLE (Score BuilderTM for the SAT, PSAT, & ACT).

4. If it is within your means, take a class. I know they're expensive, but if you think you might have problems (or if you're REALLY committed to getting stellar scores), it's worth the $$$.

Good luck everyone!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

By Simplyloved (Simplyloved) on Sunday, March 28, 2004 - 03:56 pm: Edit

I did something to this degree and I agree with you. This method workd so well, I hope I did better. Also, a couple of the words i studied were on the test which almost never happened to me before.

By Mrbesch (Mrbesch) on Friday, April 02, 2004 - 11:08 pm: Edit

DON'T take a class if you are scoring 1100s-1200s range. I did a Kaplan class, and it was HORRIBLE. It's really basic stuff for people who are super struggling with the test. Buy books and such, its the same as a class except much cheaper and less of a pain in the buttocks.

Also, remember that the SAT is not the end all be all. Same with college. You won't be a failure if you don't go to Harvard or whatnot. Just do your best.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page