3/27 SAT Verbal

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: SAT/ACT Tests and Test Preparation: April 2004 Archive: 3/27 SAT Verbal
By Scion (Scion) on Saturday, March 27, 2004 - 07:21 pm: Edit

post only verbal here (same reason applies)

By Hewashere (Hewashere) on Saturday, March 27, 2004 - 07:26 pm: Edit

what was the answer to the "burden" question? (roman numeral passage)

By Xjay2max (Xjay2max) on Saturday, March 27, 2004 - 07:48 pm: Edit

what about the memory passage where it asked the synonym of "character"?

i heard it was "tenor..." personally, i put "role."

By Phantom (Phantom) on Saturday, March 27, 2004 - 07:55 pm: Edit

hewashere--i said it requires another mathematical operation

for the irreplaceable v. fundamental dispute, I chose irreplaceable, and let me explain why:

most people are arguing that fundamental means important, which is valid. however, I thought that irreplaceable not only implied important, but also went along with the whole theme that everyone has a slightly different version of memory of any particular event. therefore, in that sense, memory is unique to every individual and it is irreplaceable.

it would really help if someone could provide the actual sentence with vital in it?

By Modestmouse (Modestmouse) on Saturday, March 27, 2004 - 07:59 pm: Edit

Okay. Here's why I DIDN'T choose irreplaceable, it goes against everything PR taught me. It's the answer you WANT. You WANT to think that any memory is irreplaceable. I honestly think it was fundamental. That was the least extreme and "jumping to conclusions" type of answer. Or I may be wrong. What that's -2 Verbal. Is that still in 800 range? Eh....

By Thepiskickass (Thepiskickass) on Saturday, March 27, 2004 - 08:00 pm: Edit

Man.... I put "role" on the character one too. Tenor is such an obscure-ish type answer. Collegeboard wouldn't really do that to us would they? Never mind. Yes they would. I'm going to go sulk in the corner over my most probably terrible score now.

By Billiam2 (Billiam2) on Saturday, March 27, 2004 - 08:23 pm: Edit

I don't understand why you're assuming it's tenor. I don't see why it is clearly tenor over role.

By Scion (Scion) on Saturday, March 27, 2004 - 08:28 pm: Edit

ok, for the burden one, i put A. that was something about recording numbers. wouldnt it be a burden to remember what represented 4 if the first 3 numbers were self-explanatory?

and, its still role, even though tenor means generalization. the sentence said "general character," so it couldnt be "general generalization."

By Flameball63 (Flameball63) on Saturday, March 27, 2004 - 08:33 pm: Edit

But the thing is, I think that's the reason I picked it...was because the other words sounded absolutely awkward...I picked Tenor...

By Just_Forget_Me (Just_Forget_Me) on Saturday, March 27, 2004 - 08:36 pm: Edit

modestmouse -2 verbal is almost certainly an 800

flame-i picked tenor... and thought it sounded extremely awkward and un-ECSish.

By Billiam2 (Billiam2) on Saturday, March 27, 2004 - 08:37 pm: Edit

EC-ish? So what do you believe to be the answer?

By Flameball63 (Flameball63) on Saturday, March 27, 2004 - 09:32 pm: Edit

Tenor: "the concept, object, or person meant in a metaphor","habitual condition ", or"Tendency"....so, general concept...how does that sound?

By Scion (Scion) on Saturday, March 27, 2004 - 09:35 pm: Edit

huh? whatever, dont worry. the verbal curve is much more lenient. i omitted 1 and missed 2 in january and got a 800.

By Bluebaron1616 (Bluebaron1616) on Saturday, March 27, 2004 - 09:39 pm: Edit

role:

Part played in Real life.

That sounds like it would work as well.

Adult's General role in the past have accurate memories etc.

By Jens (Jens) on Saturday, March 27, 2004 - 10:18 pm: Edit

I put ROLE and FUNDAMENTAL

Yeah i thought tenor was generalization and like Scion said, it couldnt have been "general generalization" but i dunno

By Socalnick (Socalnick) on Saturday, March 27, 2004 - 10:24 pm: Edit

did anyone recognise any of the verbal passages

By Auburnwareagle (Auburnwareagle) on Saturday, March 27, 2004 - 10:28 pm: Edit

ok so no one else got the MLK passage?!?!?!

By Kewlkat8 (Kewlkat8) on Saturday, March 27, 2004 - 11:52 pm: Edit

was it confrontational or mutually oppressive for the miss abigail the grandmother one

By Scion (Scion) on Saturday, March 27, 2004 - 11:54 pm: Edit

confrontational i think.

By Simplyloved (Simplyloved) on Sunday, March 28, 2004 - 12:32 am: Edit

i got confrontational. Also i put fundamental as in basic. I didn;t think it was irreplacable because memory is replacable. On the second paragraph the guy was talking about how he didn't remember stuff about the dog and his bro didn't remeber anything about the dodger game. The reason each remember what they remembered is cuz it was significant to them. The other memory was not important to them so they replaced that memory with something else. I wish i could remember the context in which they were asking for the ord vital.

By Scion (Scion) on Sunday, March 28, 2004 - 01:37 am: Edit

vital?
something "of vital recall"

By Hobbes344 (Hobbes344) on Sunday, March 28, 2004 - 02:06 am: Edit

I don't remember that one but I remember putting down an answer for the memory one that said that the author of passage 1 would disprove the author of passage 2 by saying that the baseball game was really "impressionable" or something like that. Oh yeah, it dealth with the "discarded memory." Was this right?

By Billiam2 (Billiam2) on Sunday, March 28, 2004 - 09:52 am: Edit

fore that grandmother one: What was the aunt's stature? I think i put direct/forceful. And then the other one was 'what was the narrator's wife's relationship with her aunt'? I put confrontational, or something like that.

What question are you talking about that you put contentious as an answer?

By Gmf05 (Gmf05) on Sunday, March 28, 2004 - 09:58 am: Edit

Yes it was direct/forceful. It was a paraphrase of what it said before (honesty = direct, whatever else it said = forceful)

By Reject (Reject) on Sunday, March 28, 2004 - 10:07 am: Edit

-which one went into the diposal box? i put dog memory cus that didnt mean anything to first person

-grandmother stature? put the talkative one. not sure

-got role, and irreplaceable, these two are up for grabs

By Reject (Reject) on Sunday, March 28, 2004 - 10:08 am: Edit

why would yankee game be discarded? thats the thing he actually remembered, he didnt remember the dog stuff [his brother did]

By Bluebaron1616 (Bluebaron1616) on Sunday, March 28, 2004 - 10:15 am: Edit

crap.

I think I put the aunt was talkative and extcited....crap!!!!

By Glory (Glory) on Sunday, March 28, 2004 - 10:16 am: Edit

hey guys, two questions

A) How did the first 3 numerals I, II, III escape like the changes overtime for the numbering:

was the answer 1) all original civilizations had the same basic consistent pattern for those 3 numerals
2)they were easily identifiable.

B)What would be one memory that both siblings as adults would remember

1) The one about how one child got hurt and the other one went to find mom ( I put this one b/c it was a mutual experience related to family- which according to the second passage was what both children would remember )

2) Something about a neighbor- which i immediately crossed out b/c it was one of those silly answers not mentioned @ all in the passage( or at least i thought)

thanx.

ps. any idea what curve is:

800,800,800,800,780 : lets hope.

By Hewashere (Hewashere) on Sunday, March 28, 2004 - 10:18 am: Edit

Glory-
The question by the mathematician about Roman numerals

Question: something about how the I, II, III escaped being changed over the years (were easy to distinguish)

for one of the ones about memory, i put the answer that said how one child got hurt and another one went to find the mom (no it was remembering the neighbor's children, as it said in the passage that adults remember more long term events better); the question asked what memories adults would remember,not both siblings and parents

By Reject (Reject) on Sunday, March 28, 2004 - 10:19 am: Edit

B)What would be one memory that both siblings as adults would remember

i put the second because they example that the passage explained was that they would remember vague memories of things and have it common. [ie there parents] so they would roughly remember wat the neigbors family was like and share the same thing.

i dont think it was the ankle thing because they could have had totally different memories about that.

By Rubixcube (Rubixcube) on Sunday, March 28, 2004 - 10:44 am: Edit

I put neighbors too, because the siblings both had the same amount of contact with the neighbors, and it wasn't a single experience for one of them.

By Billiam2 (Billiam2) on Sunday, March 28, 2004 - 11:20 am: Edit

Can you tell me what the other answer choices for this question was? The one that both siblings as adults would remember?

By Jenz129 (Jenz129) on Sunday, March 28, 2004 - 11:29 am: Edit

One was the older sibling getting an award and I think another one was one sibling graduating?

What was the answer with the RC question about "charged"? Has it been pretty much decided that the FSA section was experimental?

By Saera (Saera) on Sunday, March 28, 2004 - 11:33 am: Edit

Anyone remember a sentence completion where one of the choices was 'something:inimical'? I remember being vaguely unsure of that one, but I can't remember anything other than that I chose inimical...

By Haruhara (Haruhara) on Sunday, March 28, 2004 - 03:18 pm: Edit

who put "ARABIC 3" for one of the roman numeral questions... forgot question, but the choices were like "arabic 3, arabic 11, roman 4, roman blah, roman blah"

By Jenz129 (Jenz129) on Sunday, March 28, 2004 - 03:20 pm: Edit

I put arabic 3, I'm pretty sure that was the answer.

By Haruhara (Haruhara) on Sunday, March 28, 2004 - 03:22 pm: Edit

yay

By Tired_Student (Tired_Student) on Sunday, March 28, 2004 - 03:26 pm: Edit

it has to be arabic 3, since the article was talking about I, II, and III. 4 defeats the purpose because it doesnt follow the pattern.

By Scion (Scion) on Sunday, March 28, 2004 - 03:27 pm: Edit

the discarded memory one-yeah what was the answer to that one?

and i chose the next door neighbor's family

so, was it IRREPLACEABLE or FUNDAMENTAL?
i kinda remember the question saying that the author's memory might be kinda "fuzzy" to downright wrong of "some instances of vital recall."

By Skapoor1 (Skapoor1) on Sunday, March 28, 2004 - 03:30 pm: Edit

what did you guys get for the question with the word arbitrary and a line # in it? it was something like what is the relationship between #s after 4. I got D, they appear randomly throughtout the ages, because a the other choices all seemed to have flaws in them.

By Doerame (Doerame) on Sunday, March 28, 2004 - 04:59 pm: Edit

in the zora neal hurston passage... there was a question about the reason she wrote about african american women (or something to that extent) ... does anyone remember this question?

i remember choosing the answer that said her fictional characters were more controversial than their real life counterparts...

By Scion (Scion) on Sunday, March 28, 2004 - 09:11 pm: Edit

doerame, i dont think thats the answer, sorry (haha i hate getting things wrong), but i think the answer has to do w/ not making too much out of hurston's characters.

By Xjay2max (Xjay2max) on Sunday, March 28, 2004 - 09:29 pm: Edit

i agree with scion.

it said in the 3rd paragraph or so (i found all the CRs very interesting btw lol) that the critics were criticizing the wrong thing.

By Kyle8744 (Kyle8744) on Sunday, March 28, 2004 - 09:35 pm: Edit

i want to talk about the fictional passage about the clergyman talking to the young man who wants to marry the musician girl.

what did everyone get for the question about what the clergyman meant when he talked about "tugging on her string"?

what about the other questions relating to that passage?

By Kyle8744 (Kyle8744) on Sunday, March 28, 2004 - 09:38 pm: Edit

did he want to guide her development or quash her desire for independence?

i said guide her development because i didnt think the passage talked much about her wanting to be more independent.

By Flameball63 (Flameball63) on Sunday, March 28, 2004 - 09:38 pm: Edit

Can somebody please rephrase the Roman Numeral "arbitrary" question. Some people are saying that it's "least" arbitrary, but, in my memory(which don't count for much), I recall the question was: According to the author, which of the following would he say as an "arbitrary" number?

My thing: Even if you think about it, how can it be 3(don't gasp, keep reading)? The passage basically lumped I, II, and III into one category of "memorized/traditional" numbers that makes sense. If it was three, then why wasn't it 1, or 2? The whole passage's point was that the symbol for the number four didn't make crap sense...so wouldn't that be more "arbitrary" than three? And, the 11, well, again, it has a 1... ERGH!! I dunno. I am not sure I even read the thing correctly. But, when I looked at the answers, and read the passage again, it occured to me that the author wrote the whole thing to STATE that I, II and III were all the SAME FORMAT in any culture...what's so arbitrary about that???/

By Simplyloved (Simplyloved) on Sunday, March 28, 2004 - 09:40 pm: Edit

that was experimental so the reason why a lot of ppl aren't really talking about it is because a couple ppl didn't get that passage.

By Jens (Jens) on Sunday, March 28, 2004 - 09:42 pm: Edit

NO it was NOT experimental, I had math experimental and that verbal section.
Flameball- I only vaguely recall the question, but Im pretty sure I put down 3 as not arbitrary. If you could restate the q, I could probably answer it.

By Flameball63 (Flameball63) on Sunday, March 28, 2004 - 09:45 pm: Edit

I did...I am pretty sure that was the question. But somepeople is saying the question asked about the "least" arbitrary. I read the question like three times, and the word LEAST NEVER HIT ME.

Question: According to the author, which of the following would be "arbitrary".
a)Arabic 1
b)Arabic 2
c)Arabic 3
d)Roman Numeral IV
e)Roman Numeral 11

By Phantom (Phantom) on Sunday, March 28, 2004 - 09:46 pm: Edit

Flameball-im not completely sure if I understand what you're saying, but I remember the question as asking for the "most arbitrary" number, and my answer was 11.

By Kyle8744 (Kyle8744) on Sunday, March 28, 2004 - 09:47 pm: Edit

since it was not experimental can anybody answer my question?

By Flameball63 (Flameball63) on Sunday, March 28, 2004 - 09:47 pm: Edit

And to add to my spiel about that question. If it was LEAST ARBITRARY...IT WOULD BE 1...since the author mentioned that in many diver culture, one is just A stick...horizontally or vertically...now THAT's NOT ABRITRARY.

By Flameball63 (Flameball63) on Sunday, March 28, 2004 - 09:49 pm: Edit

Phantom, what I am saying is what u are saying. The answer is between 4 and 11...it can't be 1, 2, or 3. But, somepeople right now is saying that the question is asking for the LEAST arbitrary. HAHA...I think I sound like a nut. Oh well.

By Billiam2 (Billiam2) on Sunday, March 28, 2004 - 09:50 pm: Edit

I believe i put Arabic 3, but now i'm not so sure.

Because as someone explained above, Arabic 3 was lumped in with arabic 1 and 2. Roman Numeral 4 does not fit into the rule of counting the hash marks, and neither does Roman Numeral 11... so i dont know. I dont remember my thinking at the time, but i believed that arabic 3 was right... not sure why now though.

By Flameball63 (Flameball63) on Sunday, March 28, 2004 - 09:51 pm: Edit

Kyle, that WAS experimental, I am 100% sure. I think Jens thought you were talking about the roman numerals passage. I got the same experimental as you, but forgot the question. I remember one answer as "regrettably underhanded".

By Scion (Scion) on Sunday, March 28, 2004 - 09:51 pm: Edit

yeah it was arabic 3.

anyone know the question which i thought the answer to was "non-cultural mental processes"?

By Kyle8744 (Kyle8744) on Sunday, March 28, 2004 - 09:52 pm: Edit

ok, good, im glad to hear that that passage didnt count, because two of the questions about it were beastly hard. one was about the clergyman tugging on the metaphorical string, and i forget the other one.

By Kyle8744 (Kyle8744) on Sunday, March 28, 2004 - 09:53 pm: Edit

it was about why all cultures have the first 3 numbers represented with something like I, II, III.
and your answer was right, it hink

By Robert456 (Robert456) on Sunday, March 28, 2004 - 09:55 pm: Edit

was the aviary analogy experimental?
It was like aviary:birds

By Flameball63 (Flameball63) on Sunday, March 28, 2004 - 09:56 pm: Edit

Can someone give a PRECISE reason why it was 3?

By Jens (Jens) on Sunday, March 28, 2004 - 10:00 pm: Edit

ROMAN NUMERAL Q

Ok I put down roman numeral IV, b/c if thats what the question asked (which one is arbitrary) then IV is arbitrary b/c he states that it was random to write IV (5-1) instead of (7-3 or 6-2) etc.

Im pretty sure it didnt ask which was LEAST or MOST arbitrary (??)

By Flameball63 (Flameball63) on Sunday, March 28, 2004 - 10:01 pm: Edit

Me too Jens. good to hear someone put down IV...

By Jens (Jens) on Sunday, March 28, 2004 - 10:01 pm: Edit

Also yes kyle that section is experimental, i was replying to someone else

By Billiam2 (Billiam2) on Sunday, March 28, 2004 - 10:27 pm: Edit

Jens: I'm not saying that it's wrong or what, because i think i agree with you, but then why is Roman Numeral 11, or XI not arbitrary as well?

By Mrbesch (Mrbesch) on Sunday, March 28, 2004 - 10:34 pm: Edit

"I did...I am pretty sure that was the question. But somepeople is saying the question asked about the "least" arbitrary. I read the question like three times, and the word LEAST NEVER HIT ME.

Question: According to the author, which of the following would be "arbitrary".
a)Arabic 1
b)Arabic 2
c)Arabic 3
d)Roman Numeral IV
e)Roman Numeral 11 "

Ok, the answer here was IV. The reason for that is that the author identifys 1, 2, and 3 as being ultimately the same as other civ's numbers for 1, 2, and 3. And since the author makes it a point of saying how numbers after 3 changed, d must be the answer.

I hope.

Btw, a fire alarm went off during the 2nd section. We had to evacuate for 10-15 min, then we went back and finished the test!!!! Is that grounds for canceling scores? Or, do you think College Board will let me cancel mine due to special circumstances?

I did crappy on verbal. I think i got around 4-5 q's wrong, and math i got about 3-4 or so. Hence, my concern for canceling scores.

Is it wrong I like reading passages? I think they're fun. Sometimes.

By Scion (Scion) on Sunday, March 28, 2004 - 10:36 pm: Edit

mrbesch, ur right about the arbitrary one. i think i put that.

By Kyle8744 (Kyle8744) on Sunday, March 28, 2004 - 10:56 pm: Edit

i wouldnt cancel. you really never know, and with only 7-9 questions wrong total, your not going to end up with a horrible score that colleges will look down upon you for. just retake if your not satisfied.

By Flameball63 (Flameball63) on Sunday, March 28, 2004 - 10:59 pm: Edit

The reason it is not XI is because it's 10+1.
Hence: 1, 1+1, 1+1+1, 5-1(arbitrary), and 10+1.This is why they specifically said "Roman Numerals XI".

By Jens (Jens) on Sunday, March 28, 2004 - 11:00 pm: Edit

By Flameball63 (Flameball63) on Sunday, March 28, 2004 - 11:02 pm: Edit

Do u guys think I should cancel? I seriously misbudgeted my Math Time( I am really good at math). And then, it was just horrible. I blew the QCs and GridIns(left like three blank), spent too much time dwelling on one damn problem. But, verbal, I think I did "ok". So, at most I'll get like a very very low 1400 or 1350+. This is my first time taking it. So, anyone have any suggestions? Please help. I've been struggling with this for a whole two days now.

By Billiam2 (Billiam2) on Sunday, March 28, 2004 - 11:06 pm: Edit

What sense does that make flameball? The point is that 4 is arbitrary, as is 6, since they are not represented by 4 and 6 hashmarks, respectively. 11 is equally arbitrary as 4.

By Jens (Jens) on Sunday, March 28, 2004 - 11:07 pm: Edit

Billiam- was it roman numeral 11? or just 11? I dont really remember...but I just remember thinking that IV was more random than 11 and that it was mentioned in the passage.

Flameball- its ok to do not-so-good your first time. However that puts pressure on you the second time. If you truly felt that you did HORRIBLE, then cancel, otherwise I wouldn't.

By Simplyloved (Simplyloved) on Sunday, March 28, 2004 - 11:09 pm: Edit

I thought the questino said which one is "arbitrary". i don't recall it saying most or least. i picked 11.

By Glory (Glory) on Sunday, March 28, 2004 - 11:10 pm: Edit

Does anyone remember what hte last memory question was? I keep having this feeling that it was something hard.

By Flameball63 (Flameball63) on Sunday, March 28, 2004 - 11:19 pm: Edit

Last Memory Question: If you were the author, what would u discard.

Answer: Family Dog.

By Flameball63 (Flameball63) on Sunday, March 28, 2004 - 11:23 pm: Edit

Billiam: Think of it this way. All of the functions(1+1=2, 2+1=3, and 10+1=11, are left to right...that's the way normal people would do it). But, with IV, what would you do, if you are to follow the above procedures? 1+5? No. That would give it six. Instead, its 5-1=4... now, tell me that's not the better answer compared to 11.If 6, it would, again, be 5+1=6. And so on and so on. The whole series is left to right addition, EXCEPT the IV...do u kinda now get what I am trying so hard to say?

By Scion (Scion) on Sunday, March 28, 2004 - 11:44 pm: Edit

what was the answer to the "burden" question? (roman numeral passage)

By Melissamelissa (Melissamelissa) on Sunday, March 28, 2004 - 11:51 pm: Edit

everyone needs to chill.....like 90% of people did really bad and so theres gonna be a uge curve...chill out ppl

By Musicbuster007 (Musicbuster007) on Monday, March 29, 2004 - 11:27 am: Edit

I didn;'t get any E's on the 15 min verbal section... I think that's bad. Although if tenor was a correct choice, than it would constitute as one E. DOes anyone remember a lack of E's on that section?

By Runrickyrun (Runrickyrun) on Monday, March 29, 2004 - 12:44 pm: Edit

Um, I don't think the choices were Arabic 1, Arabic 2, Arabic 3, Roman Numeral IV or Roman Numeral 11.

Are you sure about those choices? I put Arabic 3 because it was the only one that did not need a "simple calculation" to solve.. I'm pretty sure the question said "LEAST" Arbitrary.

By Runrickyrun (Runrickyrun) on Monday, March 29, 2004 - 12:45 pm: Edit

Err, I don't think I explained that right, I think that Arabic 1 and Arabic 2 were NOT choices, the other 3 were.

The first two choices were numbers in which you'd HAVE to perform a "simple calculation" and the last two you'd HAVE to perform a simple calculation as well. It was Arabic 3 that you wouldn't have to.

By Phantom (Phantom) on Monday, March 29, 2004 - 05:27 pm: Edit

I don't even think that IV was even a choice because I remembered thinking during the test that "duh, they wouldn't put IV on as an answer choice because they already classified IV as an arbitrary number in the passage." I actually think that IV was the answer to another question.

By Phantom (Phantom) on Monday, March 29, 2004 - 05:31 pm: Edit

WAIT! WAIT! revelation here...I am now 99% sure that the answer choice was "the number 4 written out with 4 lines." Can anyone support this?

By Flameball63 (Flameball63) on Monday, March 29, 2004 - 05:37 pm: Edit

I am...100% sure...that those were the choices.
Arabic 1,2,3 and Roman Numerals IV and XI...100% sure. Because I checked with several people.

By Flameball63 (Flameball63) on Monday, March 29, 2004 - 05:40 pm: Edit

I read that question over like three frickin' times trying to figure out what exactly it was asking about...and, yes, those were the exact choices, and yes...Arabic 1 and 2 were choices, but, no, I never saw a "least" anywhere..and I read it like at LEAST three times over.

By Phantom (Phantom) on Monday, March 29, 2004 - 05:44 pm: Edit

hmm, really? I remembered picking the answer XI with certainty because it was the only number which did not fit the 1 dash=1, 2 dashes=2, etc. pattern of reasoning. I remembered that it was the only one which required a mathematical operation. And in any case, why WOULD they have a choice (IV) if that was already used as an example in the passage to be arbitrary? And if that WAS a choice, than shouldn't XI be right also?

By Flameball63 (Flameball63) on Monday, March 29, 2004 - 05:48 pm: Edit

My friends all picked IV(they said), so, I am sure it was a choice. And, looking for why it wasn't XI...refer to my spiel above. I explained it like three times now. Don't feel like typing again.In the passage, the author never directly said "IV is arbitrary...", it was what he was trying to say. I think. haha. Good luck anyways, verbal was pretty hard this time...I personally screwed myself over on math...which is MY BEST AREA...ERGH!!!!!!!!***pulls hair***

By Daromanian (Daromanian) on Tuesday, March 30, 2004 - 02:57 pm: Edit

guys its pretty likely there were diff versions of the question given out becuz i too remember it as 3 being the only simple one and it asking the least arbitrary.

By Tsunashima1 (Tsunashima1) on Tuesday, March 30, 2004 - 05:37 pm: Edit

What did you guys put for the burden question in the Roman Numerals passage?

I put something like recalling basic mathematical operations. The Roman Numerals I, II, and III are self-explanatory but others like IV require subtraction.

By Scion (Scion) on Wednesday, March 31, 2004 - 12:19 am: Edit

was the answer to the burden one A? that said something about the hassle of recording numbers, because it would be a "burden" to have to remember that the representation for the number 4 wasn't just 4 bars. what did u guys put?
and for the arbitrary one, i put C, Roman Numeral 4. although there was that roman numeral 11, i did have a reason for not picking it, but i dont remember it now!

By Scion (Scion) on Friday, April 02, 2004 - 12:24 am: Edit

hey, i just remembered one more sentence completion - the one about a book not being more than a "series of diverting stories." was the answer anecdote or pedantic? (i put anecdote)

By Flameball63 (Flameball63) on Friday, April 02, 2004 - 01:41 am: Edit

anecdote here. Something about the sentence triggered the "short" story thing in me. Pedantic...didn't fit.

By Scion (Scion) on Friday, April 02, 2004 - 03:02 am: Edit

ok yay! flameball63, so what was the "burden" again in the roman numerals passage? and what would the author of the 1st memory passage have said about what the author of the 2nd memory passage said about "interpretations" of memory?

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page