URGENT-PR worth it?

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: SAT/ACT Tests and Test Preparation: March 2004 Archive: URGENT-PR worth it?
By Vinny919 (Vinny919) on Thursday, March 25, 2004 - 12:09 am: Edit

I'm taking a Princeton Review course for the May 1st SAT. Is it really worth it? My second class is tomorrow and on the first diagnostic test I got 1390, 60 less than the other diagnostic test I took 1 month ago (that was luck though). So does anyone have similiar experience and did PR help them?

By Wutdeh (Wutdeh) on Thursday, March 25, 2004 - 12:14 am: Edit

princeton review tests are horrible. On one test I got a 1320...I actually got a 1490 on the real test.

By Vinny919 (Vinny919) on Thursday, March 25, 2004 - 12:39 am: Edit

How is the class though? And if they're like that then isn't that good? It keeps you humble and trains you better.

By Metz (Metz) on Thursday, March 25, 2004 - 02:19 am: Edit

Nothing compares to 10 Real SATs. It's the only one that will give you the confidence to go in test day knowing you are prepared.

By Thedad (Thedad) on Thursday, March 25, 2004 - 01:17 pm: Edit

My D took PR's tutoring and went from an October Junior 1400 to a January Senior of 1580. Fwiw.
We thought it was expensive but worth it.

By Xiggi (Xiggi) on Thursday, March 25, 2004 - 03:12 pm: Edit

Truth in advertising is warranted ... the expensive one-on-one tutoring provide a reasonable return on investment, and more importantly a decent return on \b(time) invested.

The organized group classes yield very little -if any- dividends. Spending 20 hours with the 10RS and any of the source books is far better than attending mediocre classes taught by average teachers.

If you plan on investing ANY money, spend it wisely. Hire the best tutor or service and stay way from the generic classes. Your best bet is to believe in yourself and spend the necessary time. There are no shortcuts or magic snake oil that can be bought!

By Brito1986 (Brito1986) on Thursday, March 25, 2004 - 04:10 pm: Edit

I agree with Xiggi that practice is key....but I had more luck with a course than individual tutoring. I took a one-on-one course with some company (Advantage something) and improved like 80 points from a 1120 to a 1200. Then I signed up for a course last December (testmasters) and jumped to 1410 on the January SAT. The teachers at Testmasters were a lot more experienced than my tutor was...and the course was cheaper and had more hours for preparation than the tutoring course. But, I agree, it comes down to the qualifications of the teachers. Anyways, now I am done with the SATs....so I am happy.

By Yoyomama04 (Yoyomama04) on Thursday, March 25, 2004 - 07:40 pm: Edit

Yes, it will be worth it. Their average score increase is 140 points. Their course materials are extremely good, and of course you can supplement with 10 Real SATs. Just keep at it with the course since you've already started and do the homework and study. You will be fine. Don't let anyone else psyche you out or cause you to second-guess yourself.

By Tired_Student (Tired_Student) on Thursday, March 25, 2004 - 09:54 pm: Edit

I increased by over 250 points. Plus their tests are much harder then 10 Reals. Overall PR owns the SAT I nationwide. They get the best results and the most business. Only thing that could mess you up is if you get a bad teacher, and if you do then fill that out when you get the assessment sheets so that future kids wont have to suffer =)

By Zantedeschia (Zantedeschia) on Thursday, March 25, 2004 - 11:45 pm: Edit

I recommend it. I don't know if it's true for all classes, but we used the 10 Reals in my class. And their tests are harder but they do prepare you. I jumped 120 points in class...then with some self-study gained 100 more points. I think they give some good pointers that are helpful even in self-study...and I took the class, not the tutor.

By Vinny919 (Vinny919) on Friday, March 26, 2004 - 12:25 am: Edit

Yeah it looks like its gonna be a good class. I'm at 1400 right now and I really want like 1550+ hopefully. Lucky for me, I get the guy who trains all the teachers in AZ.

By Deeny1414 (Deeny1414) on Friday, March 26, 2004 - 12:27 am: Edit

I took the class and it helped me so much! Forced me to study. My diagnostics went from a 1230 to a 1420 to a 1460 and I got a 1490 on the real thing. Just take it seriously, and it will help you!

By Xiggi (Xiggi) on Friday, March 26, 2004 - 12:29 am: Edit

Great! ... 3 stellar recommendations!

Well, this is the chance for this board to obtain an answer that nobody has ever been able to provide :

Could you give one strategy or tip learned in the class that is NOT in the 20 dollars book?

Oh BTW, the average increase is NOT 140 points. It is far, far below that! Ask PR to offer you a money back guarantee if you do not increase by 50 points, and enjoy the PR guy scramble to offer a worthless offer to let you retake the same class.

Also, having harder tests that the real tests is NOT a benefit at all but a big negative.

By Yoyomama04 (Yoyomama04) on Friday, March 26, 2004 - 11:25 am: Edit

Dude, what is your problem?! Maybe people don't want to share those strategies because they paid $1000 for them! Why don't you call the company directly and ask them? If I took the class I wouldn't come on here sharing everything I learned with a bunch of strangers who didn't help me pay for it.

Here is a direct quote from PR's Web site: "Our SAT students improve an average of 140 points - the top 25% improve a whopping 250 points!" They cannot advertise that if it is not true. I guarantee you their competitors would put a stop to that quick. They guarantee a 100-point increase.

What are you getting all worked up about??

By Xiggi (Xiggi) on Friday, March 26, 2004 - 12:43 pm: Edit

Yoyomama~

I am not getting all worked up about. I believe in sharing accurate and VERIFIABLE information. As far as sharing information, I also believe in sharing EVERYTHING I learned with a bucnh of strangers ... something I have done ad nauseum on this board.

For months or years, the consensus on CC has been that PR has consistently failed to yield improvements to our members. There are multiples reports of lackluster results. On the other hand, I have YET to read a report of great success in the 800-1000 classes that is backed by solid facts.

In this post, there were 3 solid endorsements. This seemed the perfect chance for someone to tell this board about some facts that would change our collective opinion. This forum is about SAT Preparation and findingout the truth is paramount to the success of test takers. I still support the notion that there is NOTHING taught in the class that is not in the 20 dollars book.

As far as the claim by the PR public relation machine ... if that would be even remotely true, why would they REFUSE to guarantee a full refund if failing to gain a meager 50 points?

In the past, we have had executives/tutors from Kaplan and PR posting here and extolling the virtues of the classes. One thing they were never able to do is to defuse the notions that PR has become nothing more than a money racket. They cannot guarantee ANYTHING. Their strategies ARE good but ALL of them are in the widely available books. Anyone spending 20 bona fide hours on the 10 RS and 2 hours reading the strategy book will do BETTER than taking the organized class. PR accomplishes one thing well: they help average students score an average score, and help unsuspecting parents feel better about their parental obligations.

By Infernalpanda (Infernalpanda) on Friday, March 26, 2004 - 02:14 pm: Edit

I concur.

By Keyboardgunk (Keyboardgunk) on Friday, March 26, 2004 - 03:07 pm: Edit

Thedad~ Which PR tutor did your daughter get help from? Premier, Master or regular?

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page