Red bull before SAT hah

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: SAT/ACT Tests and Test Preparation: March 2004 Archive: Red bull before SAT hah
By Yujin (Yujin) on Wednesday, March 24, 2004 - 07:00 pm: Edit

Damn..I'm always so dead in the morning. I was pretty dead when I took the PSAT and finished with a 177 >:|

My bro says to take a Red bull right before the test to give you a sugar rush and somewhat get your brain moving.

What do you guys think?

By Gabushida (Gabushida) on Wednesday, March 24, 2004 - 07:25 pm: Edit

I think that stuff is absolutely disgusting. I cant see how you people drink it. It tastes and smells HORRIBLE.

By Aim78 (Aim78) on Wednesday, March 24, 2004 - 07:29 pm: Edit

I've never drank the stuff, but maybe a healthier solution would be to take a jog or work out before the test. If you're not willing to wake up early for that, I think Red Bull would do the trick.

By Osnapjew (Osnapjew) on Wednesday, March 24, 2004 - 07:29 pm: Edit

DO NOT DO THIS. YOU WONT GET ENOUGH SLEEP; IT WILL NOT BE A GOOD REST.

Best idea: do LOTS OF EXERCISE friday night, go to bed at 9 on friday and wake up at 6 on saturday. take a shower and run through some practice problems. EAT BREAKFAST, BUT NO CAFFEINE. NO SUGAR. (ie, orange juice === BAD)

eat some cheerios and a few bananas. take some with you to the test center. no hot chocolate. no coffee.

By Ubercollegeman (Ubercollegeman) on Wednesday, March 24, 2004 - 08:19 pm: Edit

In general, eat breakfast, but DO NOT DRINK ANYTHING. Eat something with carbs, like a bagel.

Red Bull got me through AP Biology pretty well, but I wouldn't recommend it for most people. I regularly pull all nighters, so the effect of caffeine and energy drinks has diminished over time for me. I really wouldn't recommend it though, since during the SAT, your brain will be a little bit out and more prone to make mistakes on the math. Red bull is more for studying all night, not giving your mind a warmup.

By Suhu (Suhu) on Wednesday, March 24, 2004 - 08:57 pm: Edit

What works for me is to stay up late before any test. Get about 4-5 hours of sleep. Wake up late, rush to get ready for the test, don't eat breakfast, and hope you do well on the test.

Works everytime!

(Stress and tiredness makes me think better)

By Socalnick (Socalnick) on Wednesday, March 24, 2004 - 09:51 pm: Edit

I heard eating egges 1 hour before a test improves you memory. I'm not shure if memory will help you on the sat.

By Exonian04 (Exonian04) on Wednesday, March 24, 2004 - 10:24 pm: Edit

do not drink anything is a terrible idea.
drink water. and i've relied on eggs for a while now with favorable results.

By Yujin (Yujin) on Thursday, March 25, 2004 - 09:23 pm: Edit

This is my first time taking it.

I will try the Red bull right before the test.

Before that I will probably eat some bacon. mmm

By Tired_Student (Tired_Student) on Thursday, March 25, 2004 - 09:48 pm: Edit

Red bull makes you rush and rushing = getting easy questions wrong. In addition, ever wonder what happens when the sugar rush diminishes? Well basically you'll get knocked out by the third section and fall asleep on the LONG CR

By Zantedeschia (Zantedeschia) on Thursday, March 25, 2004 - 11:50 pm: Edit

Nothing will help you if ur not prepared and nothing will ruin you if ur ready. I had coffee and a bagel...it was fine...just do what you normally do...drinking red bull for the first time is probably not a good idea.

By Rachelvish (Rachelvish) on Friday, March 26, 2004 - 02:54 pm: Edit

Do what Osnapjew says! I agree!

By Keyboardgunk (Keyboardgunk) on Friday, March 26, 2004 - 03:20 pm: Edit

I dunno about Red Bull... I've tried it twice and it hasn't worked for me. Red Bull doesn't last long enough to give you a rush/energy for 3 hours. From my experience, I managed to zoom through the first 2 sections, but afterwards began to feel really down and tired.

Also, I had to use the bathroom a lot...maybe because of the caffeine?

By Savedbythebell7 (Savedbythebell7) on Friday, March 26, 2004 - 04:12 pm: Edit

A drug called ephedrine...it stimulates the mind

By Snowjob (Snowjob) on Friday, March 26, 2004 - 04:32 pm: Edit

Do whatever you're used to doing. Before my last 3 dates with the college board (PSAT, SAT2 Writing, SAT2 Math) I've gone to the local deli and picked up a bacon egg & cheese. I've done well on all three tests; take from that what you will.

With the same token, I took a PR class where one of the diagnostic tests was from 6-9 on a Wednesday. It was during lacrosse season so it forced me to leave practice early, rush home, eat a bagel while driving to the class, and then take the test. I did very well; take from that what you will.

By Yujin (Yujin) on Friday, March 26, 2004 - 06:30 pm: Edit

haha well i WOULD eat a lot but i dunno i have a weak stomach.

having the urge to take a crap during the SATs will not do good for me.

By Culovv (Culovv) on Friday, March 26, 2004 - 06:37 pm: Edit

you guys are freaks. do what you normally do on friday night, wake up at 7:30, and drive to the test center.

By Mychocopie (Mychocopie) on Friday, March 26, 2004 - 10:52 pm: Edit

lucky charms, guys. I am dead serious.

By Aim78 (Aim78) on Friday, March 26, 2004 - 11:19 pm: Edit

A lot of people stress out too much about this test. What you eat doesn't matter, as long as it is a reasonable amount of food and doesn't mess your stomach up. I just eat 2 or 3 bowls of cereal. Your mental attitude matters a lot more.

By Brandnew (Brandnew) on Friday, March 26, 2004 - 11:35 pm: Edit

lol i never eat breakfast
so i didnt eat breakfast b4 the test, and i did just fine

also you must sleep well and NOT think about the test <--very important!

just chillax

By Nutmag345 (Nutmag345) on Saturday, March 27, 2004 - 07:30 am: Edit

Just get enough sleep and a decent breakfast. Also read the newspaper or something before going to the test (just to get warmed up). I don't like doing practice problems right before the test because it makes me nervous. GL to you all!

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page