Bombed the AIME...

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: SAT/ACT Tests and Test Preparation: March 2004 Archive: Bombed the AIME...
By Songster87 (Songster87) on Tuesday, March 23, 2004 - 08:42 pm: Edit

Bombed it. Totally and utterly. I had a 129 AMC so I figured I could do relatively well on the AIME and get a 6 at least. Got a 4.

Was off by 1 on #4 and wasted an hour on #6 (and still got it wrong), which caused me to run out of time on problems I knew how to do (#9, #10, #14, etc.)

My question is: should I even put my AIME score down on my college application? At MIT or Harvard or Princeton, I'm sure they have applicants with much, much higher AIME scores than 4. Also, it seems to discredit my 129 AMC and my academics in other areas (grades, SATs). Also, I will be applying more or less as a math/science person, and an AIME of 4 seems to undermine that somewhat.

I know a 4 isn't the end of the world or anything, but if I have better stats elsewhere, is this a score I would want to shove under the rug or should I still put it on my app? Am I allowed to just put my AMC score or would colleges be suspicious of why I didn't put my AIME score as well?

By Firebird12637 (Firebird12637) on Tuesday, March 23, 2004 - 11:16 pm: Edit

4 isnt bad, considering how the mean score is like 1.3...

By Webhappy2 (Webhappy2) on Tuesday, March 23, 2004 - 11:57 pm: Edit

More like 2.3 is the mean

Wait until the stats come out.

By Ubercollegeman (Ubercollegeman) on Tuesday, March 23, 2004 - 11:59 pm: Edit

I just screwed it up big-time too.

Three or four STUPID mistakes :(.

By Failure (Failure) on Wednesday, March 24, 2004 - 04:11 pm: Edit

NOT a big deal, guys.

By Failure (Failure) on Wednesday, March 24, 2004 - 04:18 pm: Edit

Just to add to my last comment, you do realize AMC and AIME are just competitions. Your scores on these things can in no way "undermine" your qualifications, they can only help you. Just that fact that you qualified to take AIME is impressive enough. Granted, for MIT, a 4 probably is not as impressive. But still, this can only help you, although it may not be much. So definitely put in on your application. I'm sure you have other outstanding achievements to go along with it.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page