AP Literature

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: SAT/ACT Tests and Test Preparation: April 2004 Archive: AP Literature
By Virgo007 (Virgo007) on Tuesday, March 23, 2004 - 03:36 pm: Edit

Does anyone know any good novels/books to prepare for the AP Literature exam?

Anyone know any good test prep books for the AP Lit exam? Is one necessary?

By Sticksandstones (Sticksandstones) on Tuesday, March 23, 2004 - 04:16 pm: Edit

harry potter

Just Kidding.lol

By Shhh (Shhh) on Tuesday, March 23, 2004 - 06:23 pm: Edit

A prep book really should not be necessary. Just keep reading, keep analysing. It concentrates mostly on theme, so it should not be too hard.

For question 3 you are only allowed to write about "Books of Literary Merit," so you may want to concentrate on classic books and what not.

books we have read= The Awakening, Crime and Punishment, Oedipus Rex, Hamlet, A Doll's House, 100 years of Solitude, Death of a Salesman, Heart of Darkness.

By Ndbisme5 (Ndbisme5) on Tuesday, March 23, 2004 - 09:05 pm: Edit

Oedipus Rex? I read that in like the 9th grade. :-)

By Cornell_Hopeful (Cornell_Hopeful) on Tuesday, March 23, 2004 - 09:39 pm: Edit

As I Lay Dying (William Faulkner), The Scarlet Letter (Nathaniel Hawthorne), Pride and Prejudice (Jane Austen), Sula (Toni Morrison), The Glass Menagerie (Tennessee Williams). These are just the ones I read for AP Lit. I'm also reading crime and punishment, mentioned by shhh.

By Shhh (Shhh) on Tuesday, March 23, 2004 - 09:40 pm: Edit

I know me too lol, but we had to read it over for summer reading. I dont think anyone read it though, oh well, it has a lot of themes that may show up on the test!

By Virgo007 (Virgo007) on Saturday, March 27, 2004 - 11:52 am: Edit

lol Thanks. I read some of the books you've mentioned:

1) Crime and Punishment
2) Hamlet
3) A Doll's House
4) The Scarlet Letter

Right now I'm reading:

1) The Handmaid's Tale
2) Heart of Darkness
3) The Awakening

I have a list of 20 books to complete before the exam. Anyone here who previously look the Literature Exam and have any advice to give?

By Shhh (Shhh) on Saturday, March 27, 2004 - 08:25 pm: Edit

Its not that hard, I dont know why you are bombarding yourself with so much work. Work on analysis of theme mostly, since only question 3 asks you about a specific book. Multiple choice is all analysis. Study literary terms

I heard it is easier than AP Lang. Last year I did not study for AP Lang (took the class though) and i got a 4.

By Musefinity (Musefinity) on Saturday, March 27, 2004 - 09:08 pm: Edit

Ooh...do you like The Awakening? I couldn't decide whether to start The Awakening, Native Son, or Sound and Fury, but decided on The Sound and the Fury because I loved As I Lay Dying.

Shh: What does the AP Language exam cover and how does it differ from AP Literature? I'm taking it but I haven't taken the class or prepared, my teacher just told me to go for it...

By Cheetah (Cheetah) on Saturday, March 27, 2004 - 09:14 pm: Edit

I ended up writing my open question about Othello, a book I read two years before the exam for a different class. I did really good and I think reading some Shakespeare is a good idea since any one of his works could apply to many different types of questions.

By Shhh (Shhh) on Sunday, March 28, 2004 - 05:13 pm: Edit

THE AWAKENING IS A PIECE OF **** Not only is poorly written (every symbol is OBVIOUS and Chopin pretty much SPELLS OUT everything) but it seems to be Chopin's way of saying that her having an affair with 3 different guys is not immoral.

AP Lang is pretty much analysis. THere is one question where you have to agree or disagree with something, and you can use books to back yourself up, but you do not have to.

By Webhappy2 (Webhappy2) on Monday, March 29, 2004 - 12:48 am: Edit

I hated The Awakening too... Um, I don't know if I consider the motifs obvious, but the plot is boring. Typical woman who discovers repressive society sucks, yadda-yadda

I already read Doll House and Cherry Orchard before Awakening, so that's why it felt like the same-old, same-old by the time I read Awakening.

By Virgo007 (Virgo007) on Friday, April 02, 2004 - 06:54 pm: Edit

I'm studying for it because we have had two teachers and both of them didn't really teach very well. I have to know my stuff, but I'm probably overreacting. I don't want to each the English introductory class in college.

I really hope the AP Lit exam is easy.

By Najy (Najy) on Monday, April 05, 2004 - 01:14 pm: Edit

not a lot of people write on Anna Karenina. I'd suggest that if possible..or any books that not a lot of people would write about but that the test reviewers are definitely familiar with.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page