URGENT- AIME info needed

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: SAT/ACT Tests and Test Preparation: March 2004 Archive: URGENT- AIME info needed
By Mehere (Mehere) on Monday, March 22, 2004 - 08:16 pm: Edit

I am in charge of organizing the school's AIME contest, which is tomorrow for us. However, as a Canadian student, this is the first time taking AIME. And there are certain things I would like to clarify asap and i believe that many of you can help me and have answers to these questions.

1. Is there part mark for AIME questions?
2. Is our solution on the problems marked? or is only the answer on the bubble sheet marked?
3. Can a student only get 0 or 1 for a question if they only mark the answer and not solution? for example, if the answer is 100 and someone bubbled in 101 - close enough, will there be part marks for it?
4. What considered a top 5% on the AIME and for students who scored over 120, what should they be expecting on the AIME? How about students with over 110?

Thx

By Bobbyd (Bobbyd) on Monday, March 22, 2004 - 08:52 pm: Edit

AIME is all or nothing for every question. I think that answers #1 and #3. Question 2 I don't understand. Question 4, if you haven't prepared I would only expect 5 or less for someone over 120. For a student with a 110, 3 or less is probably a good guess. The average on the AIME is usually around 3 to give you an idea. To move on to the USAMO with a 120 a 10 is probably necessary although a 9 or even 11 is possible floor. For 110 just add 1 to those numbers.

By Mehere (Mehere) on Monday, March 22, 2004 - 09:07 pm: Edit

for number 2 i mean, will they even look at our solutions when marking? Sorry, this may sound stupid to those of you who have taken the exam. But is the bubble sheet the only thing to be marked?

By Kid (Kid) on Monday, March 22, 2004 - 09:49 pm: Edit

only the bubble sheet is sent back to the graders. you get to keep the question packet and the scratch paper. all or nothing, like he said

By Mehere (Mehere) on Monday, March 22, 2004 - 11:57 pm: Edit

Is there penality of wrong answers? and if the answer is 6, do we have to fill in 006 or just the last bubble with a 6?

By Mehere (Mehere) on Tuesday, March 23, 2004 - 01:21 am: Edit

BUMP

By Oasis (Oasis) on Tuesday, March 23, 2004 - 07:30 am: Edit

No, there is no guessing penalty. As said before, it's an all or nothing exam. You need to fill in any extra zeros if you have a single or double digit number. i.e. 6 has to be filled in as 006 and 48 has to be filled in as 048.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page