AP Music Theory Prep

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: SAT/ACT Tests and Test Preparation: March 2004 Archive: AP Music Theory Prep
By Conker (Conker) on Sunday, March 21, 2004 - 06:06 am: Edit

Just did the multiple choice section of the 1998 exam, and I got 10 wrong. When you take into account the penalty, that's about 67.67/81. That's about an 84%, and the cut-off mark is a 60%, so it's not that grave a situation. However, many of the questions that I got wrong were ones that more than 40% of test-takers got correct, causing me considerable worry. Does anyone have any suggestions for:

1) recognizing chord progressions
2) recognizing time signature
3) recognizing rhythm

Thanks for your help!

By Conker (Conker) on Sunday, March 21, 2004 - 11:59 pm: Edit

*bump*

By Shhh (Shhh) on Tuesday, March 23, 2004 - 06:26 pm: Edit

2) recognizing time signature
3) recognizing rhythm

What do you mean?

By Conker (Conker) on Thursday, March 25, 2004 - 10:24 am: Edit

Well, they'll often play a passage and ask you to identify the time signature and rhythm. I usually get the rhythm questions right, but I just want to be able to do it faster. As for time signature, I will get exactly one, no more no less, of these deceptively easy problems wrong, and I would like some tips on how to ensure success.

My last problem is remembering to read the darned directions carefully!!!!

By Shhh (Shhh) on Thursday, March 25, 2004 - 04:45 pm: Edit

I cant really say much, all i can say is that they just FEEL different...depending on how hard it goes.

Just remember 3 4 is like west side story's "America"

By Thenarrator (Thenarrator) on Thursday, March 25, 2004 - 08:15 pm: Edit

isn't "america" from west side story in 6 8?

By Shhh (Shhh) on Thursday, March 25, 2004 - 08:59 pm: Edit

close enough.

By Conker (Conker) on Thursday, March 25, 2004 - 11:12 pm: Edit

Well, I know that "America" is in 6/8 and creates a hemiola feel. But I really wouldn't use it as an indicator for triple or duple meter. If the time signature questions on the AP Music exam were really that easy, I would have no problem getting them. But it's deciding between 9/8 or 3/4 that gets me.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page