Mistake on Test Curve?

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: SAT/ACT Tests and Test Preparation: March 2004 Archive: Mistake on Test Curve?
By Qvdp (Qvdp) on Sunday, March 21, 2004 - 02:08 am: Edit

Hi, I will be taking the SAT I on March 27. I just took a practice test (Practice Examination 3) today from the ARCO (Thomson) Master the SAT 2002 book. I answered all questions on the verbal section, getting 8 incorrect and thus giving me a raw score of 68 (maximum is 78). According to the conversion scores at the end of the practice test, a 68 translates into a score just below 800 (70 is 800, it says, while a 65 is a 760, so a 68 is probably an approximate 790 or 780 based on this scale.) However, I looked at all the exams in the 10 Real SATs book, and in every single test, a raw score of 68 translates into a verbal score between 700 and 730.

So, my question is - did ARCO make a mistake when curving the score for their practice verbal exams, or is the practice test abnormally hard, making the curve extra generous? It would be helpful to know which score is going to be closer to my real one next week. Thanks.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page