National Youth Leadership Forum On Medicine

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: SAT/ACT Tests and Test Preparation: April 2004 Archive: National Youth Leadership Forum On Medicine
By Bhaiyu87 (Bhaiyu87) on Saturday, March 20, 2004 - 12:37 pm: Edit

Hey guys, anyone ever go to this program?
How is it? Is it worth the money?
thanks

By Jens (Jens) on Saturday, March 20, 2004 - 04:36 pm: Edit

I got it too and so did a lot of people in my medical class. It sounds fun, if not "prestigious" but nevertheless something, IMO, to put in your resume.

anyone participated in this?

By Bhaiyu87 (Bhaiyu87) on Saturday, March 20, 2004 - 11:00 pm: Edit

bump/

By Ubercollegeman (Ubercollegeman) on Sunday, March 21, 2004 - 06:38 pm: Edit

I went to the NYLF tech thing, and one of my friends went to the NYLF med.

We both agreed that the entire thing was a giant waste in terms of educational value. The "smartest leaders" in the country who attend are mostly composed of mediocre students. However, I thought it was really fun-just not educational at all. It's ten days away from all your worries and your parents and a great chance to just relax.

By Bhaiyu87 (Bhaiyu87) on Sunday, March 21, 2004 - 09:55 pm: Edit

i heard they tell u all about being a doctor. MCATS and picking the college nad shadowing nad stuff like that. Is it helpful?

By Hobbes344 (Hobbes344) on Sunday, March 28, 2004 - 02:54 am: Edit

Dude Ubercollegeman I went to the NYLF Tech thing too at San Jose. Awesome! We're practically related now! jk. yes, it was pretty much a waste of time considering the DEARTH of girls and a lame-butt "dance" at the end. We mostly played Counterstrike the whole day. HOWEVER, I would recommend attenidng the NYLC at Washington DC. Dayamn, fine chicks and smart too. It's heaven ;). oh and it was educational...... like it matters.

By Ubercollegeman (Ubercollegeman) on Sunday, March 28, 2004 - 03:05 am: Edit

Haha, hobbes. What tech talk group were you in? :D I don't remember my number, but there were like two or three girls. One was fat and the other was ugly =/.

There was a serious lack of females there, and it sucked. The ratio was literally 9:1 or something like that. I made some good friends though there, and our days basically consisted of walking around the lobby of the hotel in search of hot girls.

The entire deal was really marked by a strange taste of independence and, consequently, fun. I loved that aspect of it.

Oh yeah, and nothing beats the time when some security guy had to get the key to my room, open it, and wake me up because I had overslept for the trip to the pier by about an hour. I believe my first words to him were, "Who the f*** are you?" Haha. I tried to socialize with tons of different people there, since almost all my friends in HS are Asian. Good times.

By Skapoor1 (Skapoor1) on Sunday, March 28, 2004 - 04:00 pm: Edit

My mom made me go to NYLF tech, and it was terrible. Quality of the students present is pretty low, they didn't teach us anything, and it wasn't particularly fun. Good way to throw away $3000 though.

By Youthscam (Youthscam) on Wednesday, March 31, 2004 - 08:52 pm: Edit

Yep...you guys pretty much hit the nail on the head.

Envison EMI Programs = SUMMER CAMP

Envision EMI is NYLF, NYLC, CYLC, GYLC, International Mission, Bootcamp and more...Don't fall for their marketing scams.

By Skywalkersblade (Skywalkersblade) on Thursday, April 01, 2004 - 01:28 am: Edit

Med is great. Good info on the med field, and hot chicks. Quality of students isn't as high as they say it is, but who cares. They're all great people. I'd definetely recommend going. You'd have an awesome time.

By Bhaiyu87 (Bhaiyu87) on Thursday, April 01, 2004 - 11:46 am: Edit

but the only reason i'm looking to go is because i wanna learn about the medical field adn stuff.
is it worth going then?
what was a typical day like ?

By Ubercollegeman (Ubercollegeman) on Thursday, April 01, 2004 - 07:25 pm: Edit

I can't speak for med. Like I said, my friend was extremely disappointed.

Also, a funny story that I remember now in which I gained fifteen seconds of fame. NYLF has speakers, and after each speaker is done with his or her thing, NYLF gives a mug and a shirt to present to the speaker on behalf of NYLF as a token of gratitude. I found one of those people and bought the mug off him for about two bucks. Next thing I knew, random people knew about me and were giving me all kinds of offers for my mug :).

My typical day. Wake up at 7:00 and skip breakfast, because breakfast usually isn't too great. I did NOT like my roommates too much, but I made decent friends with other people.

Morning "plenary" and "tech talk" sessions, which ranged from okay to pretty stale. Afer that, though, you pretty much had time to do what you wanted. I'd usually end up going with some friends to eat, check out girls, go online and chat with friends back home, whatever.

After lunch, they usually have some (meaningless) stuff planned for you. Same with dinner. After the last tech talk meeting thing is over, though, the fun starts. The second or third night in, we had a nice little party going on in one of the hotel rooms. Yes, this was a five or four star hotel, and we were blasting music so loud the entire hall could hear it. A few more of these went on.

I'm also a pretty reserved guy, but at NYLF, I was way looser. Hitting shamelessly on girls, hot or not, was pretty fun.

Basically, the stuff they plan for you, while not completely lame, is not that great either. The true fun lies with the bonds you make with your fellow NYLFers.

Oh yeah, last thing. NYLF had basically grouped the girls in one tower of the hotel and the guys in the other for obvious reasons. Of course, guys (like me) always wandered through the girls' rooms just to spite them despite the policy. Anyway, we were all bored one night and called some girls up. One thing led to another, and next thing we knew we were trying to convince girls across the tower (you can see them through a window) to strip. Other girls in the tower saw us (one of us had taken his shirt off, and most girls considered him good-looking). More girls started joining in, and consequently, more guys. Pretty soon we had both towers involved. Too bad curfew checks happened before things got fun =/.

By Youthscam (Youthscam) on Saturday, April 03, 2004 - 07:24 pm: Edit

Ubercollegeman makes my point...sure it's fun...it's a camp...you're with lots of kids your age...but educational? an honor? Selective? NO.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page