Urgent: SAT Critical Reading Ambiguity

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: SAT/ACT Tests and Test Preparation: March 2004 Archive: Urgent: SAT Critical Reading Ambiguity
By Dannyferizzle (Dannyferizzle) on Friday, March 19, 2004 - 12:24 pm: Edit

Hi,
I get about 0-3 wrong on Analogies and Sentence Completion combined for verbal, but Critical reading is always that damned wild card that has kept me from 750+..

I get about six wrong on critical reading, dispersed evenly through each passage (about 1-2 per passage). So that doesn't seem like a lot but if i make those three careless mistakes in analogies and sentence comp. (all careless) -- that automatically puts me in high 600's low 700's.

Here's my problem, I always get that one wrong per passage because I encounter a question where I feel like there is strong evidence for each answer to the question but I can't pick which one is better--I feel that they 1) both answer the question, and 2) There is clear evidence in the passage supporting it.

I feel that I may be overreading due to my rigorous training (i go to one of those new england prep schools) and I feel I should be scoring 800 for sure because my analogie and sentence completions are PERFECt as long as Im not rushing (or being careless) it's just these damn C.R (not the hard ones, I usually am perfect on the difficulty 5 ones) that have two good answers, and I end up just picking one that my gut tells me. Therefore I have about six of those per test, so they usually don't all go my way and most of the time they ALL go against me.

Please any experts who have encountered similar problems and triumphed over them, please help and fast, I have the SAT in a week.

By Dannyferizzle (Dannyferizzle) on Friday, March 19, 2004 - 12:41 pm: Edit

Please help?

By Dannyferizzle (Dannyferizzle) on Friday, March 19, 2004 - 01:22 pm: Edit

bump--please help!

By Ilovefood (Ilovefood) on Friday, March 19, 2004 - 06:39 pm: Edit

That score is fine (whacks Danny in the head)...if you can't distinguish the better answer from the two, then you obviously don't deserve a better score.

By Dannyferizzle (Dannyferizzle) on Friday, March 19, 2004 - 06:48 pm: Edit

..well a little harsher than I hoped but I somewhat agree with you, its just that sometimes i score around 740, then others around 690--I still feel that I do better, I just need to be less of a pansy when trying to decide and be more rational like I am on the hard questions. I can answer the level5 ones, so I guess I just have to learn to apply similar logic to the lesser ones.

By Amylase (Amylase) on Friday, March 19, 2004 - 07:13 pm: Edit

lol, when i was preping for the SAT i had similar problem.

First of all do you have the Princeton review bood? if you have read it through. it introduce to you a concept that there is no "right" answer, just "ETS choices". Pick the best choice, or just pick the choice that ETS people would most likely to pick. that worked for me 780 on verbal

By Osnapjew (Osnapjew) on Saturday, March 20, 2004 - 01:18 am: Edit

i totally feel your pain... im flawless for sentence completion, miss 2 at most analogy, and then miss 5 reading comprehension.

basically, i'd recommend picking an answer, then if you have time at the end, reread the ENTIRE passage with the question in mind. it's usually there, just in places you'd least expect it.

ALSO, beware that a lot of the passages are old..and their paragraphs suck. ie, they continue on in a paragraph when there should have been a new one made. watch for this...it can lead to confusion.

gl :)

By Dannyferizzle (Dannyferizzle) on Saturday, March 20, 2004 - 07:27 am: Edit

Wow thanks!
I know what you mean, sometime's i'm reading these passages (because i'm used to good writers) and i'm like, get on with it, what the hell are you trying to say? You just introduced a completely new idea in the last two paragraphs!! Ack, thats the worst, when they ask for a big picture question and half the essay talks about one thing and the other half talks about the other.

Amylase, i don't have the PR book, I have Grubers(lots of errors) and the Kaplan 1600 (its as easy as the real thing...) but can you elaborate for me about the ETS choices please?

By I1lmatics (I1lmatics) on Sunday, March 21, 2004 - 12:59 am: Edit

"Here's my problem, I always get that one wrong per passage because I encounter a question where I feel like there is strong evidence for each answer to the question but I can't pick which one is better--I feel that they 1) both answer the question, and 2) There is clear evidence in the passage supporting it. "

This is your problem in a nutshell.. you are reading beyond where the question asks.. the ets intentionally bases their questions on where you read up to in the passage... in other words if you read beyond where the question is asked you will most likely develop an opinion that is not supported by the question at the time it is asked

.. ur best bet is to answer the questions as you read along thus prevented yourself from developing opinions based on text that is yet to be questioned

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page