Stuck in the mid 600s in verbal

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: SAT/ACT Tests and Test Preparation: March 2004 Archive: Stuck in the mid 600s in verbal
By Traci87 (Traci87) on Monday, March 15, 2004 - 06:05 pm: Edit

I've been "learning" words for 3 months now. I finished a list of 1500 words. Now, my problem is probably that I don't really KNOW these words. Still, my score has not increased at all after "learning" these words.

What am I doing wrong?

The verbal questions i get wrong are in evenly distributed in the 3 sections(analogies, SC, & CR)

I want to get in the mid 700s.

do i learn the 1500 words better? do i do more practice sections?

By Sticksandstones (Sticksandstones) on Monday, March 15, 2004 - 06:18 pm: Edit

more practice sections.
PRACTICE MAKES PERFECT. memorizing words doesn't necessarily garuntee a good verbal score

By Sticksandstones (Sticksandstones) on Monday, March 15, 2004 - 06:18 pm: Edit

more practice sections.
PRACTICE MAKES PERFECT. memorizing words doesn't necessarily garuntee a good verbal score

By Justice (Justice) on Monday, March 15, 2004 - 06:41 pm: Edit

You will need to build vocabulary no matter what, so do practice sessions but definitely continue to review vocabulary. I think it would be a good idea for you to get a word list onto excel and just use the words in sentences. Aim for about 20-40 words a day if you have months before your next administration---it'll take you about three months to do but its good to go slowly. To see if your vocabulary is good enough, just go to a site like freevocabulary.com. You should know about 60% of the words COLD, well enough to use them. Don't sweat it if you don't know every single word. It's not going to matter in the long run.
If you find there are a ton of words that you still don't know, chances are you should start some heavier reading this summer. A book like Pride and Prejudice easily contains 500 SAT words. Good luck!

By Traci87 (Traci87) on Monday, March 15, 2004 - 07:08 pm: Edit

i forgot to say that im taking the march 27th test

By Matts886 (Matts886) on Monday, March 15, 2004 - 08:37 pm: Edit

Stop studying words and just read. Words are easier to understand when you can recall the sentence you read it in, and it's so much easier to do that when it isn't just a random sentence on your flash card. Find something hard but interesting. Actually, I think there is a science fiction book with a few hundred SAT words.

By Danielsjang (Danielsjang) on Monday, March 15, 2004 - 10:20 pm: Edit

i don't think you'll benefit by reading now.. (march test???)
um... practice, i guess. If you haven't done so, get the 10 real sat's fast and do the verbals. If you want to analyze if it's the time's fault or just vocab, don't limit time, and do the verbal section (and maybe with a dictionary)
then just try many many practice verbal sat's...

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page