How to raise sat score..especially in verbal

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: SAT/ACT Tests and Test Preparation: March 2004 Archive: How to raise sat score..especially in verbal
By Jbaby262 (Jbaby262) on Thursday, March 11, 2004 - 01:29 pm: Edit

hey..well im only a sophmore in high school but i really need to get a good score on my sat before the year is over because i dont want to have to take the new test. the first time i took the sat i got a 910 in 8th grade but onto 9th grade i got a 1220 or something. I'm fine in math and i have like a 700+ on the math part but my verbal is horrible and i really need help. I have the barron's sat prep but i dont really know how to work the vocabulary? any suggestions? or is this prep book not a good one..I would really like to go to duke and it has always been a dream. Also can i take the sat now and put this score on my application or does it have to be within a certain time frame of your application to college? and im graduating high school in 3 years instead of 4....do you think colleges will frown upon that?

By Athlonmj (Athlonmj) on Thursday, March 11, 2004 - 01:53 pm: Edit

Colleges do frown upon leaving high school early unless you have a very good reason.

By Jbaby262 (Jbaby262) on Thursday, March 11, 2004 - 02:16 pm: Edit

Really? what if everyone at my high school is just slow and its too easy? lol because i fly through classes and i dont really see a point in staying in high school...its like wasting a whole year..cuz i want to apply to duke very badly and i dont wanna hurt my chances of getting in at all. do you have a aol screen name i can talk to you on?

By Sticksandstones (Sticksandstones) on Thursday, March 11, 2004 - 03:41 pm: Edit

there is no hiding it. You HAVE to memorize words, or read classic novels for vocab words. Whichever way you do it, you need a really good vocabulary to pass SAT verbal. Also do a lot of practice tests, once per week minimum.review your wrong answers and try to improve them. Learn to do Sentence completions and analogies reasonably fast cuz you'll need the time for the critical reading.

By Athlonmj (Athlonmj) on Thursday, March 11, 2004 - 03:46 pm: Edit

My AIM is in my profile. Usually the competition is tougher for students who want to graduate early. I know of a friend who is graduating early and she got into Stanford EA, but she did have a 1600 SAT 800/800/790 SAT II's and a 36 ACT.

By Jbaby262 (Jbaby262) on Thursday, March 11, 2004 - 04:48 pm: Edit

I really do try memorizing words..but its so difficult to remember the for a long time. i can memorize them but after about a month..its all gone again! do yall have any impacting ways to memorize vocab?

By Siavash8p (Siavash8p) on Thursday, March 11, 2004 - 11:48 pm: Edit

I try to make at least 5-6 statements with every single word that I learn . I`ll remember them forever.

By M2me4 (M2me4) on Friday, March 12, 2004 - 09:11 pm: Edit

I thought all sophmores are required to take the new SAT, the old one is not accepted anymore.

By Jbaby262 (Jbaby262) on Saturday, March 13, 2004 - 11:40 am: Edit

that sucks!

By Danielsjang (Danielsjang) on Saturday, March 13, 2004 - 12:01 pm: Edit

yes, i think m2me4 is right.. (sadly...--i'm a sophomore, too)

By Haithman (Haithman) on Saturday, March 13, 2004 - 03:54 pm: Edit

I believe it is accepted as long as you take the SAT II Writing also...

By Sticksandstones (Sticksandstones) on Sunday, March 14, 2004 - 09:35 am: Edit

this is how i memorize words:
i copy down about 17-19 words every other night, and repeat them two or three times. the night after that i copy down new words do the same thing but i also quiz my self on the night before's words.i do this every night and now i 19 lists of 15-20 words, and it takes a while to get through all of them but it is worth it.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page