AP Physics or Chem?

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: SAT/ACT Tests and Test Preparation: March 2004 Archive: AP Physics or Chem?
By Best_Wr (Best_Wr) on Tuesday, March 02, 2004 - 01:32 am: Edit

I'll be a sophomore next year. I wish to attend Yale or school at that level. Would taking AP Physics B as a junior make me a more competetive candidate than taking AP Chem (as junior). I'm trying to work both of them in, but if i can't, advice from you will be much appreciated.
Also, which test is harder?

By Haithman (Haithman) on Tuesday, March 02, 2004 - 03:11 am: Edit

I would probably say AP Chem before Physics. But Physics is a great class and taking it junior year would be fun. I say Physics.

By Vsage3 (Vsage3) on Tuesday, March 02, 2004 - 04:20 pm: Edit

Physics B is too simple.. take Chem then Physics C.

By Gabushida (Gabushida) on Tuesday, March 02, 2004 - 05:50 pm: Edit

Take which ever one you find more interesting. Ones not going to make you more competitive than the other.

Personally, I really like physics, and really enjoyed Physics B as a junior. Im taking Physics C this year. Dont listen to Vsage, B is not too simple, and skipping right into C is just going to hurt a lot more than it does for us AFTER B.

By Justice (Justice) on Tuesday, March 02, 2004 - 07:21 pm: Edit

Vsage is right take AP Chem. Take it. I'm in first year AP Physics C right now and I'm glad I didn't have to waste time memorizing formulas without understanding where they come from---which is basically what Physics B amounts to. If you can handle it, try to take Physics C without B. If you can't, I think Physics is the better science.

By Best_Wr (Best_Wr) on Tuesday, March 02, 2004 - 08:26 pm: Edit

My mistake: I'll be a junior next year, and I only have a choice b/w Physics and Chem (both AP). If I want to apply to engineering, wouldn't it be good for me to do boht Physics and Chemistry? Our school doesn't have Physics C, and I hope they'll create one in my senior year.

Would taking both Physics B and Chem. and getting 5 on both of them be a stretch? (I'm a good student: 1450 PSAT and surely 5 on AP Bio and top 1% in class).

By Vsage3 (Vsage3) on Tuesday, March 02, 2004 - 09:43 pm: Edit

I'm currently taking Physics C(M), Chem, Bio, Spanish Lang. and English Lit (the five aforementioned being AP's) as well as diffEq, so I think you can handle Chem and Physics B :). Have faith: I've found out most classes just aren't what others crack them up to be. That's a shame C isn't offered at all though. Perhaps you should ask your physics teacher or whoever does the schedules for all the classes about sliding in physics C somewhere (get a petition going or something to back up your stance)

By Thermodude (Thermodude) on Tuesday, March 02, 2004 - 10:13 pm: Edit

"Best Wr"....I would certainly take both AP Physics B and AP Chemistry. The subjects of Thermodynamics and Modern Physics even criss-cross a bit....so taking AP physics and AP chemistry together could be quite constructive. I have a friend (who's sophmore's PSAT score was around yours) who took 5 AP's last year and scored a 5 on all the exam's. Obviously, the choice is yours to make....but if your good at math and science...I would say that scoring 5's on both the AP physics and Chem would be within your reach....provided that you do put in some hard work and so forth.

By Best_Wr (Best_Wr) on Wednesday, March 03, 2004 - 04:38 am: Edit

I love math and science. Just gotta decide. This is a big dilemma. More advice'd be appreciated.

By Cnn (Cnn) on Wednesday, March 03, 2004 - 06:02 pm: Edit

The Choice is yours....my padawan learner :)

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page