Any one else like me?

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: SAT/ACT Tests and Test Preparation: March 2004 Archive: Any one else like me?
By Jwood (Jwood) on Saturday, February 28, 2004 - 06:01 pm: Edit

I am a senior right now, and I have been accepted to the University I want to go to. It´s almost spring, and the Juniors at my school are preparing for their entrance tests. I´m having these urges to take the SAT and ACT again.

I know, this is pathetic. But I love the SAT and the ACT!!! It´s a compulsion... Anyone else feel this way?

By Iamstupid (Iamstupid) on Saturday, February 28, 2004 - 06:28 pm: Edit

It's people like the CollegeBoard hires.

By Ilovefood (Ilovefood) on Saturday, February 28, 2004 - 09:01 pm: Edit

I know exactly what you mean. I can't stop taking it!!! 32 last Feb. wasn't enough, then next 32 didn't help, the 34 was good for a while, the 35 is starting to wear off. So, even though I know I can't do any better, I think I want to take it again. I'm addicted to standardized testing!!!! That's why I'm still here - I'm trying to attain greatness through the people I give advice to!! I'm giving out advice left and right to the kids in my school. I make graphs and charts of the ACT scores I've collected from the kids in my school, and I acn't stop!! There should be a rehab center for people like me...

By Vtoodler (Vtoodler) on Saturday, February 28, 2004 - 09:03 pm: Edit

I must admit that taking the SATs were a most scintillating experience. However, despite my desires, I know that I must focus my efforts and brain power on more important things such as essay contests and scholarships.

By Foreignboy (Foreignboy) on Saturday, February 28, 2004 - 09:06 pm: Edit

Crazy Americans.

By Mychocopie (Mychocopie) on Saturday, February 28, 2004 - 10:05 pm: Edit

yeah i know what you mean

By Tired_Student (Tired_Student) on Saturday, February 28, 2004 - 10:18 pm: Edit

Im thinking that if you can get 1600 once you could probably get around it a second time without much hassle. You guys dont know how much you are envied

By Esperanza (Esperanza) on Sunday, February 29, 2004 - 02:40 am: Edit

oh gee..

By Twinkletoes696 (Twinkletoes696) on Sunday, February 29, 2004 - 02:59 am: Edit

No, I think it's a tedious waste of 3 hours. Sitting through 12-16 hours total of standardized testing administrations (twice for the SAT I's, twice for the SAT II's) was more than enough. I can think of 10287 better ways to spend 3 hours of my life...:)

By Entropicgirl (Entropicgirl) on Sunday, February 29, 2004 - 10:59 am: Edit

Ohhhhhh yeah, SATs!!! I plan to take them over, and over, and OVER again, and see how many times in a row I can get a 1600!!! Get it put in the Guiness Book of World Records...if only they weren't changing the format, thus DASHING my hopes and dreams...*sigh*
No, honestly...too much time sitting in a random room without stretching my legs or laughing! Not very much fun at all.

By Foreignboy (Foreignboy) on Sunday, February 29, 2004 - 11:07 am: Edit

Thinking of 10287 ways to spend 3 hours will surely take you much longer than 3 hours.

By Twinkletoes696 (Twinkletoes696) on Sunday, February 29, 2004 - 01:40 pm: Edit

Yeah, but even that would be more worthwhile than taking the SATs.

I have a crappy attention span when I'm bored, so in certain parts, the SAT was like pulling teeth for me- despite the fact that I had extensive prep with my big friendly 10 Real SATs and 8 Real SATs (an ancient wonder with recentered tests).

I had really been hoping I'd only have to take each round of tests once (3 SAT IIs=once, done, check, 1 SAT I, done, check) but fate, or my lack of scholastic aptitude, rather, intervened and I didn't do as well as I had hoped.

I ended up wasting around $57 in hindsight- 28.50 for a testing administration that never happened because of illness, and another 28.50 for an administration that yielded only a 20 point gain (my SATs only went up 20 points over a course of 7 months despite gains of 50-150 during practice... but oh well), which wasn't really a waste, but it's still frustrating.

Anyway, I really don't see what pleasure anyone could derive from doing the test.

By Zantedeschia (Zantedeschia) on Sunday, February 29, 2004 - 03:14 pm: Edit

I think only people who do well have the desire to retake it again and again... they're already guaranteed a good score so there's nothing to lose...whereas I'm sure the person who takes it five times and still doesn't increase more than 100 points is just plain frustrated.

By Yoyomama04 (Yoyomama04) on Sunday, February 29, 2004 - 06:35 pm: Edit

Yeah, you definitely need to find a better hobby! The SAT sucks.

By Xjay2max (Xjay2max) on Sunday, February 29, 2004 - 09:13 pm: Edit

twinkletoes, i so agree with you..

after massive prepping - which i only wanted to do once - 660 literature, 710 writing - meh.

and im scared about the sat i, ive been pulling 1500+ on the practices on 10RS, but considering my past experience with the wonderful world of SAT IIs, im not very confident anymore.

wow, i wasted so much money on the College Board and its SAT program. now i have to waste $246 to sit for 3 AP exams! oh joy.

By Spacechic20 (Spacechic20) on Tuesday, March 02, 2004 - 05:06 pm: Edit

oh my god. thats like having a hobby of taking the SAT. thats really sad.

By Ohio_Mom (Ohio_Mom) on Tuesday, March 02, 2004 - 05:25 pm: Edit

There's always the GRE - LSAT - MCAT and so on to look forward to.

By Iamstupid (Iamstupid) on Tuesday, March 02, 2004 - 06:38 pm: Edit

if there's been anything I've learned from the review books, it wasn't the material, it was the concentration for the questions that I latently developed.

Before perusing the books I used to answer the questions superfluously without much thought and depth.

Concentration and confidence are the second best tools for the SAT, first tool being 10 RS.

I WILL GET AT LEAST A 1500 I WILL AND THE TYRANT IS GOING DOWN

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page