Help me with me only AP

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: SAT/ACT Tests and Test Preparation: March 2004 Archive: Help me with me only AP
By Arow (Arow) on Friday, February 27, 2004 - 08:34 pm: Edit

Hi,

I will only be taking one AP exam. Please give me ANY useful advice forthe AP European History exam. I will have now until May 1st or so to study for the test. Its my only ap; I really want a 5 on it.

ANY advice would be appreciate and god bless.

By Chardonnay (Chardonnay) on Friday, February 27, 2004 - 09:45 pm: Edit

for the dbq, a well-written thesis is key. some girl in my class last year spent two weeks writing her own timeline of events, complete with people and events. she said it really helped her remember stuff. i read the glossary the night before the test, it seemed to help me(5). the euro test really isn't that bad, it's not just dates and dead guys. as long as you know the important events (enlightenment, french rev, ww's, etc) and are able to understand their impact on the world, you'll do fine.

By Arow (Arow) on Friday, February 27, 2004 - 10:29 pm: Edit

i thought dates are not tested?

Also, I am stressed out as to whos important in the Arts.

thanks

By Danielsjang (Danielsjang) on Friday, February 27, 2004 - 11:04 pm: Edit

hey, me too!
It's my only AP of the year, and i'm SOOO bad with history (more of science/math person)
I really want a 4 or more... How hard is it to acheive this?
Only (?) about 13% of the test takers get 5's i think...

By Thermodude (Thermodude) on Saturday, February 28, 2004 - 03:20 am: Edit

...I'm with you guys...the AP Euro exam is one I will take this spring. Some advice I would give is to buy some AP prep books. (I really like Rhea...but most of them are good) These will usually let you know what you need to know for the AP test to get a 5. Also....you should take some practice exams...you can get these either from prep books or online. That's mostly what I did last year for the AP US history and physics exams...and I believe it helped me to get 5's.

By Anothersuitcase (Anothersuitcase) on Saturday, February 28, 2004 - 01:33 pm: Edit

I never bought a prep book or even flipped through one, and I got a 5 on the AP Euro exam (but I'm naturally inclined to history, English, humanities in general.) The only major studying I did was outlining the chapters and re-reading and re-highlighting my handiwork. I toyed with the idea of putting major events, people, works, and acts/policies/laws on Post-Its and sticking them around the house, but I never got around to it. I suggest making a cause-and-effect chart to help you understand the big picture because that's what most of the questions ask--basically, how/why did this cause make this effect?

You don't have to know specific dates, but you do have to know the general decade of an event, person, etc.

By Arow (Arow) on Saturday, February 28, 2004 - 02:33 pm: Edit

does anybody know any good websites with practice problems?

I want to know what level I am on.

Thanks !!

By Averagemathgeek (Averagemathgeek) on Saturday, February 28, 2004 - 03:06 pm: Edit

Although I am not taking AP Euro, here is a collection of past questions:
http://collegeboard.com/student/testing/ap/eurohistory/samp.html

By Chardonnay (Chardonnay) on Saturday, February 28, 2004 - 03:25 pm: Edit

arow, there are no dates, but "dates and dead guys" is the generalization many make about history tests, i was trying to make a point. sorry for any confusion! :)

By Scorp (Scorp) on Saturday, February 28, 2004 - 11:50 pm: Edit

As long as you read carefully and understand every word and don't space out while reading the book you'll be fine. Just make sure you get enough practice writing DBQs and read the advice in the prep books on how to do it. very very important.

Use the REA book for the history review and do all 6 tests. (At least the MP part) and use the other books for tips and test strategies.

By Joel_Set (Joel_Set) on Sunday, February 29, 2004 - 03:04 am: Edit

what if u didn't read the book.. and you have like a HORRIBLE teacher.. can u still get a 5 by just studying rea?

By Altsuperhero (Altsuperhero) on Sunday, February 29, 2004 - 11:16 am: Edit

it's not impossible ... it'll just take a little more studying

... i'm probably going to take that route

By Scorp (Scorp) on Sunday, February 29, 2004 - 12:03 pm: Edit

"what if u didn't read the book.. and you have like a HORRIBLE teacher.. can u still get a 5 by just studying rea? "

Go back to the book and read the most important chapters and memorize them. These are: WWI, WWII (and what led to them and what came of them) French Revolution, Protenstant Reformation, and stuff of that nature. Napoleonic wars. Age of Reform and stuff like that.

By Aeg315 (Aeg315) on Sunday, February 29, 2004 - 12:23 pm: Edit

Buy Barron's AP Euro book. I read it the day before the exam and got a 5. It really helped refresh my memory on the mid-year stuff like France, for which I was able to do two thematic essays.

Also, don't get so caught up with grammar and style in your essays. They take about 3 minutes to read your essay, so they don't care whether or not you're a good writer. Just throw in all that you know that applies (and even some extraneous stuff can be better than none). Also, if you can make references to any historians (in my class, we read a lot of primary and secondary sources), do it. I even said, "According to Palmer and Colton..." Those were two of the historians that wrote one of the textbooks we used.

For the DBQ, use every document... each of them can be used somehow, so do it. Trust me on this one. For multiple choice (which I struggled with the most), just read all the stuff they outline for you in the Barron's book. It may also help to learn the names of all the leaders, monarchs, artists, and book titles. A good portion of the exam is on art and literature, so if you know the names of the philosophes and their books as well as the artists and their famous works, you're in good shape. There's my two cents on AP Euro. Best of luck!

By Blahdude (Blahdude) on Sunday, February 29, 2004 - 12:49 pm: Edit

they love to ask about martin luther!! i.e. who wrote justification by faith?, 95 theses..etc. they reword the question at least 5 times throughout the whole test!!!

btw. got a 5 on the exam..not hard at all.. good luck!

By Cybernetica (Cybernetica) on Sunday, February 29, 2004 - 04:23 pm: Edit

By far the best book for AP European History the exam is the conveniently short "Modern European History" by Birdsall S. Viault.

(Publisher: McGraw-Hill Trade, (January 1, 1990)
ISBN: 0070674531)

This book neatly and conveniently summarizes just about all the content you need to know for the exam.

As far as preparing to take the exam itself (and reading a fairly amusing/interesting review along the way), I would get the Princeton Review's latest "Cracking the AP Euro Hist" guide.

Finally, if you want a fun (though shallow) "story telling" version of the AP Euro material, check out ARCO's "Master the AP European History Test," which can be a fun summary in coordination with the above.

Oh, as always, order some back exams from store.collegeboard.com (if you can afford them..maybe your teacher has copies) and practice before the exam.

Good Luck,
Sahil

P.S. I don't know how motivated you are...If you want to really be anal and NAIL this subject there are some excellent, interesting, sometimes entertaining but unbelievably thoroug) books out there...The best, IMO (and the PR people agree with me on this one apparently) is John Merriman's "A History of Modern Europe" Published by W.W. Norton..it is 2 volumes and pretty expensive, but if you can find at a local library (maybe a college or university) or order it at your local B&N and then just browse through it without buying you will learn a HECK OF A LOT about what the AP covers to a degree that you will very likely never forget it.

Finally, to find free online versions of those all-helpful primary source docs (and bad outlines of the material) check out www.historyteacher.net

By Iamstupid (Iamstupid) on Sunday, February 29, 2004 - 05:22 pm: Edit

You don't need to read any of these books.

AND DONT GET THE BARRONS REVIEW BOOK THEY ARE STUPID RETARDS RETARDS I TELL YOU RETArds they are stupid!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
io hate barronbs!

oH, BTW I GOT A 4 on the ap euro exam last year by using princeton review. Get princeton review cracking trhe ap european exam because it has an excellent history review and good simulation tests.

REA is good for the historical review also, but their tests are harder than normal.

YOU DO NOT need to read a huge college textbook to get a 5 on the exam. All you need to know is specific facts which will be in the historical review of Princeton review and/or REA.

ALSO, ask your teachre for past AP tests and do them.

Finally, DO NOT USE BARRONS THE REVIEW IS BS AND IS TOTALLY IRRELEVANT GAHHHHH

By Arow (Arow) on Sunday, February 29, 2004 - 06:37 pm: Edit

What about Barron's practice questions? Are they good for practice?

Thanks for all your input. I currently have barrons, Prs, and the book by birdsall viault. :)

Thanks !

By Aeg315 (Aeg315) on Sunday, February 29, 2004 - 10:30 pm: Edit

Barron's questions aren't great, but they're not terrible either. I found it really useful for the information though. They have questions at the end of every unit, and those helped a lot. As I said, I highlighted the whole book the day before the exam (I stayed home from school the day before the exam), so the content was fresh in my mind. It would have been even more effective had I worked little by little starting a month before. No questions from any of the review books are that good though. I thought the chapter questions in Barron's were decent though - they were at the same level of specificity as the ones on the AP, although probably not that similar to the actual questions they ask. The test itself is very straightforward though... it's truly a test of knowledge, and there aren't too many tricky ones if you know the material. Good luck, man.

By Arow (Arow) on Monday, March 01, 2004 - 07:35 pm: Edit

Just one more question..

How are the essay topics? are they really broad? Any examples?

Thanks!

By Susu (Susu) on Tuesday, March 02, 2004 - 02:15 pm: Edit

Watch PBS, History Channel, Discovery Channel--especially useful when your eyes are burning and your back hurts from hunching over textbooks for days on end. The "History of Britain" series is interesting and gives you great, memorable visuals. "I, Claudius" will help you remember the first Roman emperors. There was a series on Napoleon, too. When you get to U.S. History, watch "The Civil War". All of these are available at your public library.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page