HS 06'

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: SAT/ACT Tests and Test Preparation: March 2004 Archive: HS 06'
By Caliplaya03 (Caliplaya03) on Tuesday, February 17, 2004 - 05:51 pm: Edit

This really sucks. Why does the class of 2006 have to take the new sat. Why couldn't they just make the freshman take it. Well at least the ACT isnt changing...

By Iamstupid (Iamstupid) on Tuesday, February 17, 2004 - 06:16 pm: Edit

why don't you just take it before they begin using the new SATs.

By Chocoman (Chocoman) on Tuesday, February 17, 2004 - 06:16 pm: Edit

HAHAHAHAHA.

Whoo. How I live being born in 87.

By Korey (Korey) on Tuesday, February 17, 2004 - 06:24 pm: Edit

lol, I know what you mean...it sucks, but oh well...

By Caliplaya03 (Caliplaya03) on Tuesday, February 17, 2004 - 06:26 pm: Edit

Iamstupid if I want to apply to a uc i have to take the new 1.

By Haithman (Haithman) on Tuesday, February 17, 2004 - 07:05 pm: Edit

Im taking the SAT I in May, hpoing to score a 1430+ then the SAT II writing in October or something so I dont have to worry about taking the New SAT because I cant wait that long anyways.

By Caliplaya03 (Caliplaya03) on Tuesday, February 17, 2004 - 08:05 pm: Edit

bump

By Caliplaya03 (Caliplaya03) on Wednesday, February 18, 2004 - 01:58 am: Edit

bump

By Sam255 (Sam255) on Wednesday, February 18, 2004 - 11:09 am: Edit

what exactly does the new SAT entail, and should i take the SAT I in may just to see what i get?

By Caliplaya03 (Caliplaya03) on Wednesday, February 18, 2004 - 03:07 pm: Edit

Bump

By Phrozenphoenix (Phrozenphoenix) on Wednesday, February 18, 2004 - 04:21 pm: Edit

The new SAT math will have a lot of Algebra II, but the PSAT won't. As for the writing, they are addind a new writing section that will have short answer questions and an essay.

Since they've actually changed the material that they are covering, there's probabaly no need to take it, though it wouldnt hurt to try a few practice tests.

I was wondering, though, if anyone knows of any practice tests for the new exam, because I was having trouble finding them. The 2004 books that I have mention the test being changed, but have no material on the new one.

By Caliplaya03 (Caliplaya03) on Thursday, February 19, 2004 - 01:57 am: Edit

bump

By Caliplaya03 (Caliplaya03) on Thursday, February 19, 2004 - 09:47 pm: Edit

I heard they are adding a new writing section on the ACT but good thing it is optional.

By Shamigo (Shamigo) on Thursday, February 19, 2004 - 11:21 pm: Edit

i wonder whos gonna actually grade the essays tho...its a big change from all scantron

By Prethumous (Prethumous) on Friday, February 20, 2004 - 09:23 am: Edit

The essay won't be the only addition.

Several CC members who'd taken the exam in recent months reported the appearance of (AP) Statistics-type problems in the Maths section.

By Caliplaya03 (Caliplaya03) on Friday, February 20, 2004 - 04:48 pm: Edit

well isnt that great

By Sticksandstones (Sticksandstones) on Friday, February 20, 2004 - 05:04 pm: Edit

what sucks most is that there aren't prep books for the new SAT ( im gonna take it too)so we might as well just close our eyes and point to one of the answer choices

By Feuler (Feuler) on Friday, February 20, 2004 - 05:17 pm: Edit

I think collegeboard has said that they will release practice tests a couple months before the first administration. I forget exactly what they said though.

I wouldn't worry about prep too much; my guess is that if you prep for the existing SAT I and SAT II Writing you'll be fine. The addition of more advanced math will make no difference because the problem-solving will be of exactly the same nature, just with different topics; at least that would be my guess.

Also, there's no reason to worry at all because all of you will be taking the SAME test, so its not as if anyone is going to be at some kind of disadvantage.

By Caliplaya03 (Caliplaya03) on Friday, February 20, 2004 - 09:41 pm: Edit

bump

By Vtoodler (Vtoodler) on Saturday, February 21, 2004 - 10:40 am: Edit

you always have the choice to take the SAT before changes are made

By Winnerpl (Winnerpl) on Saturday, February 21, 2004 - 10:55 am: Edit

I wish I had teh oppotunity to take the new SAT. no more anologies, and I'm good at writing, so I'm positive I woudl do better than my 650 on verbal.

By Caliplaya03 (Caliplaya03) on Saturday, February 21, 2004 - 03:41 pm: Edit

Would you do better on the math part? Since there adding some intermediate algebra? BUMP

By Caliplaya03 (Caliplaya03) on Saturday, February 21, 2004 - 05:57 pm: Edit

BUMP

By Jolt21 (Jolt21) on Saturday, February 21, 2004 - 06:32 pm: Edit

man, i wish they changed the SAT for me...im in AP Calc BC and AP Statistics..i sucked it up on the verbal part and got half of the analogies wrong..man did they screw me over, you guys are lucky..now all you higher math kids will distance yourself from everyone else..

By Caliplaya03 (Caliplaya03) on Saturday, February 21, 2004 - 08:31 pm: Edit

bump

By Caliplaya03 (Caliplaya03) on Saturday, February 21, 2004 - 11:08 pm: Edit

bump

By Caliplaya03 (Caliplaya03) on Sunday, February 22, 2004 - 03:39 pm: Edit

bump

By Ohio_Mom (Ohio_Mom) on Sunday, February 22, 2004 - 10:24 pm: Edit

There are a couple of SAT 05 books on Amazon just do a search and you will find them. More will be coming out as the various test prep folks write them - and they will, trust me. The important thing is to determine exactly what math is included - and to learn it on your own if it hasn't been covered in school. All the test prep stuff on the majority of the test - critical reading, most of math, and the non-essay writing - is going to stay and you can work on that. As for the essay - pay really close attention to the feedback you get in english class. You will want your essay to be as technically correct as possible.
You are preparing a lot earlier than most kids - I am sure you will do fine.

By Tanman (Tanman) on Sunday, February 22, 2004 - 10:39 pm: Edit

For those of you who will be taking the new SAT, you might want to check out a section of the CB's website: The New SAT 2005
The site says that CB will release a new book, REAL SATS: THE COLLEGE BOARD'S GUIDE TO THE NEW SAT as well as other resources for the new test in fall 2004

By Caliplaya03 (Caliplaya03) on Sunday, February 22, 2004 - 10:48 pm: Edit

Thanks a lot tanman and ohio mom. Lol the test is goin to increase from $10-12, that's a lot of money for a cheap kid like me j/k

By Ohio_Mom (Ohio_Mom) on Monday, February 23, 2004 - 11:06 am: Edit

Kaplan does free SAT tests in January - they call them marketing events - lets you take a test in a proctored environment. The Kaplans are scaled a bit harder - but it lets you practice in a more test like environment.

By Caliplaya03 (Caliplaya03) on Monday, February 23, 2004 - 06:55 pm: Edit

bump

By Caliplaya03 (Caliplaya03) on Tuesday, February 24, 2004 - 12:15 am: Edit

ya i heard about that

By Caliplaya03 (Caliplaya03) on Tuesday, February 24, 2004 - 09:17 pm: Edit

bump

By Caliplaya03 (Caliplaya03) on Thursday, February 26, 2004 - 07:17 pm: Edit

bump

By Caliplaya03 (Caliplaya03) on Sunday, February 29, 2004 - 05:45 pm: Edit

bump

By Haribo (Haribo) on Monday, March 01, 2004 - 08:22 pm: Edit

i'm also a sophomore, and am taking the old sat in may.

i took a princeton review psat that was based on the new sat. my verbal went from a 650 to a 540 (im terrible at critical reading), but my math went from a 750 to an 800. in my opinion, the math in the new sat is easier because they are taking out the quantitative comparisons section.

if you are applying to privates and publics, i would recommend taking both the new and old sat tests.

By Caliplaya03 (Caliplaya03) on Wednesday, March 03, 2004 - 09:24 pm: Edit

well at least it sounds like the math was a little easier.Well thanks for the info Haribo

By Savoirfaire87 (Savoirfaire87) on Saturday, March 06, 2004 - 01:13 am: Edit

i'll probably take both the new and the old versions...

By Foreignboy (Foreignboy) on Saturday, March 06, 2004 - 05:52 am: Edit

I think the new SAT is a good idea. It would decrease the number of rich kids who score full marks because they pay thousands of dollars for prep courses. (for the next couple of years at least)

By Deor (Deor) on Sunday, March 07, 2004 - 03:38 am: Edit

For whatever reaon, no one's yet mentioned that the analogy sec. is OUT! Now my only weakness is just quickly writing the essay part, which from what I've read off of CB won't be looked at by colleges much save for research until a few years.

By Baggins (Baggins) on Sunday, March 07, 2004 - 01:20 pm: Edit

I have no problem with the writing part b/c I'm taking AP US History. If any class will teach you to write in a limited time its this class. I've learned how to write in this class better than any of my English classes.
I don't mind the math section b/c I suck at the quant comp. I'm in pre-calc this year so the advanced stuff isn't a big deal.
The only thing thats bothering me is the addition of the grammar questions and more reading. I'm not proud of my reading speed. The more prep I can get the better. I was planning on improving my reading skills at Harvard but I'm thinking of using the summer to prep for the old SAT instead. Unfotunately the college board says some collges won't take the old SAT from class of 2006.
The only thing the new SAT is doing is putting a big dent in my summer plans and my parents really, really, really, really worried.

By Caliplaya03 (Caliplaya03) on Thursday, March 11, 2004 - 12:56 am: Edit

bump

By Starzlite (Starzlite) on Tuesday, March 23, 2004 - 01:10 am: Edit

hey!!

By Starzlite (Starzlite) on Tuesday, March 23, 2004 - 01:11 am: Edit

hey guys!! wat's up?? i have heard that the new SAT prep books r coming out in August....cool na!!

By Oasis (Oasis) on Tuesday, March 23, 2004 - 07:32 am: Edit

Hey, at least sophomores don't have to take ALL new SAT. Freshmen have to take the new SAT and ONLY the new SAT.

By Haithman (Haithman) on Wednesday, March 24, 2004 - 12:22 am: Edit

Sophomores have a choice right?

By Oasis (Oasis) on Wednesday, March 24, 2004 - 08:07 am: Edit

According to ETS who gave a seminar on the new SAT at our school, the class of 2006 should take at least one old and at least one new. The class of 2007 would need to take all new.

By Drusba (Drusba) on Wednesday, March 24, 2004 - 09:00 am: Edit

For those above who believe they can take the old SAT and the SAT II writing for admission for'06, be aware of the following: the University of California system has announced that you must take the new SAT for 2006 admission as it will not accept just the old SAT plus SAT II writing.

By Sticksandstones (Sticksandstones) on Wednesday, March 24, 2004 - 09:24 am: Edit

guys, i have never taken a SAT timed essay( and im a sophmore, thats crazy!), how long do u get to write the essay? how long should it be? and what r the strategys u guyz use for the essay?

Thnx in advance

By Haithman (Haithman) on Wednesday, March 24, 2004 - 11:31 am: Edit

on the SAT II Writing i believe you get 20 minutes for the essay.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page