Good books to read for verbal augmentation/improvement?

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: SAT/ACT Tests and Test Preparation: October 2003 Archive: Good books to read for verbal augmentation/improvement?
By Bradloopik (Bradloopik) on Monday, November 03, 2003 - 07:14 pm: Edit

Hello there!

I'm trying to improve my verbal score, which is somewhere around a 620. I would love it at a 650 or higher. But what are you going to do?

I've been reading much more now. I'm reading Frankenstein now, which has increased my vocab by like 50% in the first few pages, lol. I'm halfway through it.

Would the following books be good in verbal preparation, or maybe you can suggest some that you've seen an improvement from.

-Pride and Prejudice
-Wuthering Heights
-Jane Eyre (i don't know if it's spelt correctly)

Basically, I'm sticking to the classics, as my mind wanders when reading modern stuff. I actually have an interest to reading the above, and hope that perhaps they would help me.

Any suggestions?

Thanks a lot!
(I love this board)
-brad

By Jens (Jens) on Monday, November 03, 2003 - 07:31 pm: Edit

Those are good classics, but don't limit urself to fiction, expand ur horizon and read cultural stuff like Maya Angelou, Ben Franklin, etc. And also try to get a subscription to the New York Post. Note- College board loves cultural stuff

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page