AP and CLEP to Sophomore Standing

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: SAT/ACT Tests and Test Preparation: October 2003 Archive: AP and CLEP to Sophomore Standing
By Smartmika (Smartmika) on Monday, October 27, 2003 - 09:40 pm: Edit

Hello. I am admittedly very naïve on the subject of college admissions. I think I might lower my standards (I was offered a full academic scholarship to a good, but not Ivy League, school). They allow you to CLEP courses, as well as using AP credit (the requirements are only 3s and 4s).

I was wondering if anyone knew if it would be possible to take enough AP and CLEP tests so that I could go directly into my sophomore year.

Is this recommended? What are the advantages and disadvantages? Also, which courses should I take?

I'd likely take AP Biology, I am taking AP French Language (possibly literature also), AP Literature, AP Government (possibly), and I've already taken and scored a 5 on AP Language.

What about CLEP subjects? How are they treated differently than AP tests?

Please help me!!

Thank you :)

Michael

By Smartmika (Smartmika) on Monday, October 27, 2003 - 10:42 pm: Edit

"bump"

By Smartmika (Smartmika) on Tuesday, October 28, 2003 - 01:05 am: Edit

re-bump

By Smartmika (Smartmika) on Tuesday, October 28, 2003 - 05:54 pm: Edit

lol please help me!

By Smartmika (Smartmika) on Tuesday, October 28, 2003 - 11:45 pm: Edit

where are the ideas?

By Clickspring (Clickspring) on Wednesday, October 29, 2003 - 12:33 am: Edit

Well, I had enough AP credit to make me a sophomore when I entered college, and it's nice, but not all it's cracked up to be. Sure, I have almost all of my Gen Ed's completed, but I still don't know what I want to major in! It's good because it allows me to take non-gen ed classes to look at majors, but at the same time, dicking around looking for a major without getting credits I need is frustrating.

Go ahead for the free ride, and congratulations on getting one, but just realize that immediate sophomore standing isn't all it's cracked up to be if you're undecided anyway.

By Smartmika (Smartmika) on Wednesday, October 29, 2003 - 12:46 pm: Edit

Well, I know definitely I want to major in biology.

Can you provide with me further recommendations?

Thank you.

Michael

By Hikarikun (Hikarikun) on Wednesday, October 29, 2003 - 02:11 pm: Edit

If you want to major in AP BIO, taking AP Bio is encouraged.
However, retake that Biology class in college.
Which college are you going to?
If they have good biology program, you should retake that class even if you have 5 on it.
If you want to do sophomore standing thing, use it for other classes that are not related to Bio.
For example, u just skip history and english classes in college, but take bio.

I heard that MIT strongly encourage students(students who are going to major in these fields) to retake math and computer and sciece courses at MIT even if they have 5 on AP exam.

By Smartmika (Smartmika) on Wednesday, October 29, 2003 - 10:24 pm: Edit

THanks.

Any more suggestions?

By Smartmika (Smartmika) on Thursday, October 30, 2003 - 07:45 am: Edit

*bump*

By Smartmika (Smartmika) on Thursday, October 30, 2003 - 07:43 pm: Edit

BUMP!

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page