SAT II books: ones I don't recommend

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: SAT/ACT Tests and Test Preparation: October 2003 Archive: SAT II books: ones I don't recommend
By Mythologist (Mythologist) on Monday, October 27, 2003 - 07:48 pm: Edit

I'm preparing for SAT II and inherited some books from my cousin. The books I don't recommend are:

SAT II SUCCESS Math IC and IIC (2002) by (PETERSON'S THOMSON LEARNING). see this solution which simplifies (1-x/y)/(1-x/y^2):
(1-x/y)/(1-x^2/y)
=((y-x)/y)/((y^2-x^2)/y)
=((y-x)/y)*(y/(y^2-x^2))
=1/(y+x)
=(y+x)^(-1)
If you can't find the mistake, you shouldn't take Math IIC.
There are numerous mistakes in this book, like not labeling a side and expect you to find the answer. It certainly makes you wonder that who made these books.

Cracking the SAT II (2001-2002 Edition, The Princeton Review)
Generally speaking this book provide good knowledges. I had a really hard time understanding this book, and later I found that the book has labeled many of those physics variables wrong. Considering the amount of variables in the book, it can mess people up quite a bit. Princeton review makes decent books, but this book is pretty much messed up. I hope the 2002-2003 edition is better.

Just some experiences I'd like to share.

By Ickyfoo (Ickyfoo) on Monday, October 27, 2003 - 08:00 pm: Edit

for math iic, i dont recomend kaplan's. barrons is the best.

By Wrathofgod64 (Wrathofgod64) on Monday, October 27, 2003 - 08:19 pm: Edit

for tests i recommend sparknotes book of 5 test, except the 3rd test has a couple errors but i found it VERY representative of the problems on the actual test.

By Jason817 (Jason817) on Monday, October 27, 2003 - 08:26 pm: Edit

Princeton Review for 2c is hella good.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page