Raising SAT 1 scores

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: SAT/ACT Tests and Test Preparation: October 2003 Archive: Raising SAT 1 scores
By Capo (Capo) on Monday, October 27, 2003 - 07:35 pm: Edit

SAT 1 Math: ok for math its pretty obvious, just take lotta practice questions and memorize the types of questions the SAT will give you

SAT 1 Verbal: ok but for verbal what else can you do beside memorize vocab and read? my reading comprehension is really weak and i dunno how to raise it up, any ideas? because i think for the reading comprehension its either you get it or you dont,

By Smartmika (Smartmika) on Monday, October 27, 2003 - 08:43 pm: Edit

I agree with your analysis of the SAT Verbal. Honestly, memorizing vocabulary is futile. I recommend that you acquiesce--and read!

Even if you read maybe a page of prose (perhaps from a 18th/19th century novel), and then sit back and reflect. What did the author try to convey? What types of words illustrated the author's position? Then try to figure out the meaning of some difficult vocabulary words by their context.

Then also read a scientific book. Don't bother with a textbook, but rather maybe read some kind of article. Just become used to the style of the SAT. Try to analyze the article.

Other than that, I really can't give you further advice. Math is easily manipulated--verbal requires more effort.

I wish you luck :)

Michael

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page