Worrying about ACT score....

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: SAT/ACT Tests and Test Preparation: October 2003 Archive: Worrying about ACT score....
By Bradloopik (Bradloopik) on Sunday, October 26, 2003 - 09:59 am: Edit

Hi there!
I'm totally new to this board, and choose not to frequent boards like this because the people here are so smart I feel dumb. But I feel dumb all the time, so I guess I should be used to it.

To the topic of my post: I'm a little worried about the result of my previously taken ACT test yesterday. It's normal I know; but I think I did well. The first time I took it I got a really low 20. I guess because it was my first (albeit not a valid excuse) and I didn't finish any of the tests!

This time, however, I did finish all the tests. I usually don't have enough time on reading, and the passage about Mamaita and tia were the friggin' dumbest things I've ever read. I only left five blank on the Math, but I found it extremely easy. I couldn't believe how many answers I could find. However, I did find that I got like two wrong, but I'm not sure. I had no idea how to work the log button on my calculator (But I blame that on my moronic math teacher who only taught us about God and not Algebra 2. I really want to get out of my Catholic school; as I think being a Catholic is basically following a cult. That's my opinion anyway, because I AM catholic).

The English part was easy. Except I had those infintile (i love that word) questions regarding "All of the following are acceptable EXCEPT". How retarded.

The Science was, for me, I think relatively easy. I had those two conflicting viewpoints, but it wasn't too difficult as I underlined the main points in their dismal "arguments".

So to my post: When all of you took the test were your inclinations correct in how well you thought you did on the ACT? Like for example, did you do think you did well, and you did? I think I did well, but there's always that part in the back of my head (I'm an empathic worrier) where I think I will get a composite of a 12.

I really want to get into McGill University in Montreal. I have good grades: 3.812 and 10 in my class (Out of 60) and have been taking honors everything. I've been vice president of two clubs for over two years, and my ECs are numerous. So, I'm not dumb; I just don't do well on standerdized tests. (I pulled a perfect this quarter on my Trigonometry class ;)) McGill however, wants a ACT of a 26 or higher. I think I might get a 25. I hope!

Which brings me to another question! How are the ACT scored? If you answer all the questions and get only 2 right, how do they composite that?

Sorry about the length of my post. Thanks for reading it!

PS: I really think all of you are geniuses. But I commend you for it; you know what you want, and you can get it. (I only got a 1130 on the SAT, but am never taking it again)

THANKS!

By Freak4korn72 (Freak4korn72) on Sunday, October 26, 2003 - 10:50 am: Edit

ACT is scored like this

Correct Answer: +1
Wrong Answer: +0
Blank Answer: +0

So basically you only get points for the correct answers so it helps to answer all questions because if you get it wrong, you'd get the same amount of points as if you left it blank. Unlike the SAT they do not subtract 1/4 point if youre wrong.

When I first took it, of course I did not know what to expect, I thought I did great (32) but I only got a 28. Im being more realistic this time and thinking 32, because im confident in almost all my answers. Except for 5 reading and 5 science.

I dont think you should have a problem getting a 26. Sign up to take the December date, or if there is none in December then you may want to take the SAT again just to be sure. I did the same thing. I got a 1220SAT (590v/630m) and 28ACT (not that im saying they're bad I just want scholarships and I need 1360/31) I signed up for the SAT 2 more times and the ACT 1 more. My second try on the SAT I got a 1320 (580v/740m) and we'll see how my third one goes. I guess to sum up what im saying is that you should be able to do better the 2nd time you take the test unless they give you a really difficult part.

I'd still recommend taking it one more time just incase if you dont feel sure about it.

By Bradloopik (Bradloopik) on Sunday, October 26, 2003 - 12:24 pm: Edit

Thanks very much for your comments.
I am not planning on retaking the ACT because of application deadlines. I am basically applying for all early decisions at 6 schools (by Nov 15). So this last ACT was the final one.

Most of the schools (4) that I applied to take people with a 20 ACT and 3.0 GPA, so my chances are very good to get it. I'm hoping to apply for the honors if my ACT scores are high enough.

Thanks again
-brad

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page