Which is better TI 83+ or TI 89

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: SAT/ACT Tests and Test Preparation: October 2003 Archive: Which is better TI 83+ or TI 89
By Mahras (Mahras) on Saturday, October 25, 2003 - 10:05 pm: Edit

Hey i was wondering which is better. i really don't wanna change my calc after i have bought it cause i don't wanna spend time learning to operate my calc. Which is better. I'll be able to take calc AB and BC in my junior and senior years. So any advice on which should be better?

Thanks in advance...

By Issloots (Issloots) on Saturday, October 25, 2003 - 10:30 pm: Edit

ti-83 is better. ti-89 is way too complicated and expensive. I got ti-83 plus for $85

By Rubenizm (Rubenizm) on Saturday, October 25, 2003 - 10:45 pm: Edit

you can get 89 for maybe 120 bucks if you find a good deal. I'd probably recomend 83+ especially if you're not planning on majoring in math and stuff. I had a 83+, but then i decided to switch with my bro and find the 89 very helpful in calc. It can do stuff others can't...but that's prolly why my teacher doesn't allow 89s on some of his tests.

By Mahras (Mahras) on Sunday, October 26, 2003 - 01:07 am: Edit

Thanks but i want to take calc. In what ways is the 89 helpful in SAT II Ic. Thanks for any advice.

By Jason817 (Jason817) on Sunday, October 26, 2003 - 01:41 am: Edit

89 is better in every way you can think of. Especially for Calc. You WILL ace quizzes and tests if you somewhat get the stuff whereas you can make stupid mistakes and stuff w/ the 83. Not even a question.

By Slinky333 (Slinky333) on Sunday, October 26, 2003 - 11:24 am: Edit

I have both, not because I'm a complete dork, I won both through contests, the TI-83+ is far more user friendly and despite the common misconception it can calculate derivatives, however if you ever make it to calculus and beyond it is very helpful to have all the features available on an 89, i.e. factor, simplify, expand, solve, isolve, deriv, integr.... However one thing to keep in mind is that many schools won't let you use a calculator on tests and quizzes, or they will allow you to use a program like Mathematica which is far superior to either calculator, so check the class syllabus before you do anything.

By Freudboy (Freudboy) on Sunday, October 26, 2003 - 02:19 pm: Edit

89 is the only way togo

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page