I just destroyed my Princeton ED application

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: SAT/ACT Tests and Test Preparation: October 2003 Archive: I just destroyed my Princeton ED application
By Marek (Marek) on Saturday, October 25, 2003 - 06:14 am: Edit

I feel horrible.

SAT I : 1420 (V 710 M 710)

SAT II:

World History 770
Writing 760
German Reading 760

and now I got a 680 in Math IIC!

Retaking in December. What is the best way to prepare for it? Should I take Math IC as well?

By Xitammarg (Xitammarg) on Saturday, October 25, 2003 - 07:44 am: Edit

Actually, I went on a tour of Princeton with my little brother last year, as it turns out. (I mentioned this in another thread a few days ago.) The guy giving the tour was some kind of lower-level admissions official--I don't know how their particular admissions office is set up, so I don't remember his name or his title, sorry.

But the important part is that someone asked him about SAT score ranges, and he said, flat-out, that Princeton doesn't care what your SAT score is. They take a more holistic view of the applicant (this is the norm for private schools, by the way).

Your scores are more than decent, so I wouldn't worry about it--the admissions guy has no reason to lie about a thing like that.

By Sunshine916 (Sunshine916) on Saturday, October 25, 2003 - 09:19 am: Edit

*sigh* thats what they SAY, but i have been looking around for the avg Princeton acceptee on the PR stats board trying to get an idea. i can honestly say that i have not seen one acceptee in the maybe 50 i've examined that did not have an SAT score over 1500. exceptions are recruited athletes, URM's, huge hooks, or a 1480/1490 SAT (very close). SAT II's are also always around 750.

they SAY they take a holistic view, but part of that view is test scores. no matter how much they do/dont look at test scores, its a big fat NUMBER that they can use to subjectively influence their thought on the rest of your application.

im not trying to be pessimistic, just realistic. one of my friends is applying ED as their top girls hockey recruit with a 1350 and bound to get in. it just seems to me that most princeton acceptees are top kids in every aspect-including SAT I's/SAT II's.

well im bombing out of my SAT II's next weekend...forget Princeton for me.

By Xitammarg (Xitammarg) on Saturday, October 25, 2003 - 10:40 am: Edit

Yeah, that's a good point. It's hard to tell if they really ARE looking at the scores, or if it's just that "top kids" all tend to have high scores, so even if you didn't look you'd wind up picking kids with high scores anyway. Bleck.

Still, though, if I were in Marek's 1440 position, I wouldn't worry about it TOO much--on the other hand, that's easy for me to say, since I'm out of college . . . :)

By Xiggi (Xiggi) on Saturday, October 25, 2003 - 01:15 pm: Edit

The Princeton adcom knew that Xitammarg's "little" brother had one of those elusive 1600 scores, and he was probably teasing both the student and the teacher :)

On a serious note, the adcoms was giving good advice, and so is Xit!

By Matlm (Matlm) on Saturday, October 25, 2003 - 02:05 pm: Edit

I have actually been able to look at this program that Guidance councilers use store all their informaiton about students in one place.

I dont remember about pricneton, but there were several students who were admitted into harvard with scores between 1470 and 1490.

By Marek (Marek) on Sunday, October 26, 2003 - 09:16 am: Edit

Thanks, makes me feel a bit better.

By Marek (Marek) on Sunday, October 26, 2003 - 09:21 am: Edit

Thanks, makes me feel a bit better.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page