Spanish Help

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: SAT/ACT Tests and Test Preparation: October 2003 Archive: Spanish Help
By Blee731 (Blee731) on Friday, October 24, 2003 - 05:54 pm: Edit

I wrote this for my mom to send to her friend. I'm not a native speaker, so don't bash my Spanish :)
Here is what I wanted to say:
"I heard that Joe will retire next week. What gifts will you buy him? Brian helped me write this letter."

I translated this into:
"Oí que Joe retirará la semana próxima. ¿Qué regalos comprarás para él? Brian ayudóme escribir esta carta."

Her friend responded with this rewritten version:
Oí que Joe se retira la próxima semana. ¿Qué regalos les compraran a él? Brian me ayudo a escribir esta carta.

Please give me the grammatical corrections and the reasoning behind them. Thank you.

By Malabarista (Malabarista) on Friday, October 24, 2003 - 06:06 pm: Edit

--Oí que Joe se retira la próxima semana--
Not sure why the verb tense is present. I'll ask my teacher about this. Próxima always goes in front of semana when saying "next week".

--¿Qué regalos les compraran a él?--
Use the indirect object, le, when you are, for example, giving something to someone. I don't know why this native speaker put les, since that refers to more than one person. It also appears he/she didn't put an accent to make comprarán, the future tense form.

--Brian me ayudo a escribir esta carta.
You only put the indirect object at the end of a verb when it is in the infinitive (ayudarme) or is a command (ayúdame tú!). Your mom's friend correctly changed the location of that to the fron of the verb. However, it appears that he/she again did not use an accent to make ayudó, the past tense form.

Hope my AP Spanish skills are of some use to you. :)

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page