Will I make Finalist status?

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: SAT/ACT Tests and Test Preparation: October 2003 Archive: Will I make Finalist status?
By Malabarista (Malabarista) on Friday, October 24, 2003 - 03:12 pm: Edit

Hello.
I made semifinalist status in the National Merit Scholarship competition. I'm wondering, since I scored in the 99th percentile of the PSAT, do I have to score in the 99th on the SAT to reach Finalist status? I recently scored a 1470 which isn't bad, but it's not 99th percentile. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

By Meggykewpie (Meggykewpie) on Friday, October 24, 2003 - 03:46 pm: Edit

I received semi-finalist status too with a 214, but my highest SAT score right now is only a 1330, and I've taken it 3 times already. Can I sitll make finalist status? I really can't score any higher too, I did think the PSAT was just easier and I did score higher in writing than I did in anything else. Do they also judge what SAT II writing scores?

By Thedad (Thedad) on Friday, October 24, 2003 - 04:29 pm: Edit

I think the cut-off is around 1300. 1470 is definitely good enough and I *think* 1330 is but can't swear to it. They just go by SAT I.

By Vtoodler (Vtoodler) on Friday, October 24, 2003 - 05:06 pm: Edit

The NMSQT people don't really look at your SAT scores per se. What they really look at is your course load and your high school grades and your personal descriptive. Besides, a 1470 is an excellent score. Good job.

By Malabarista (Malabarista) on Friday, October 24, 2003 - 05:50 pm: Edit

Thank you for your help.

By Thedad (Thedad) on Friday, October 24, 2003 - 06:50 pm: Edit

Vtoodler, the NMSQT people look at SAT scores to validate the PSAT scores...it's a rough-cut kind of thing.

By Vtoodler (Vtoodler) on Monday, October 27, 2003 - 04:46 pm: Edit

As long as the individual has a certain SAT score range, then its okay for them to advance to finalist status. But what factors are the most important are their secondary acamdemic record and their personal descriptive essay.

quote from:http://www.edufax.com/faq/s79.html
"SAT scores are the least important component in choosing National Merit Finalists, since the students have already been considered in the pre-selection process. The essay is of paramount importance."

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page