REGARDING THE SAT II MATH IIC

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: SAT/ACT Tests and Test Preparation: October 2003 Archive: REGARDING THE SAT II MATH IIC
By Zechs (Zechs) on Thursday, October 23, 2003 - 10:27 pm: Edit

Has anyone here taken the MathIIC with a TI89?

I just bought one and am curious as to how much it helps.

Was it very useful in October?

Any idea what percent of problems the TI89 can solve from any test?

I hope that the TI89 will make a difference for me in November.

By Aspirer42 (Aspirer42) on Thursday, October 23, 2003 - 10:36 pm: Edit

Did you know that you CAN take the MathIIc with a TI-83+ and STILL make an 800? Yep, it's possible. I'm assuming you've taken it already and want to improve, though, so I'm not bashing you; I'm just saying that it's possible to get it by other means and get tired of those who say otherwise. (And no, I'm not bragging; my 77th percentile Writing score kind of humbles me enough from doing that).

Personally, though, I hear it's a big help if you don't want to/can't remember a lot of the formulas. I think most of what you need in that area is either common sense, basic math, or given to you in the book, but I can see how it would give you more time if you're, say, solving the quadratic equation. Anyway, good luck :)

By Zechs (Zechs) on Thursday, October 23, 2003 - 10:54 pm: Edit

Well thanks Aspirer42, and no I have not yet taken the test. I heard that the TI89 gives one a MAJOR ADVANTAGE.

And if it isn't too much trouble, can somebody please explain to me what parametric equations are?

For example: A line has a parametric equations
x = 5 + t and y = 7 + t, where t is the parameter. The slope of the line is:

Answer is 1.

And what are conics?

Thanks to anyone who can help me with any of my questions.

By Zechs (Zechs) on Thursday, October 23, 2003 - 11:05 pm: Edit

Well thanks Aspirer42, and no I have not yet taken the test. I heard that the TI89 gives one a MAJOR ADVANTAGE.

And if it isn't too much trouble, can somebody please explain to me what parametric equations are?

x = 5 + t and y = 7 + t, where t is the parameter. The slope of the line is:

Answer is 1.

And what are conics?

Thanks to anyone who can help me with any of my questions.

By Jason817 (Jason817) on Thursday, October 23, 2003 - 11:13 pm: Edit

x = 5 + t and y = 7 + t, where t is the parameter. The slope of the line is

I never learned parametric equations but its pretty obvious. Just use these two equations to get the equation in the form y=mx+b:
y=7+t
t=y-7
substitute
x=5+t
x=5+(y-7)
x=y-2
y=x+2
From here you can see easily that the slope is 1.

Yes the 89 is very useful. Of course, its biggest use is saving time and time is the biggest problem when taking this test, so that tells you something. Unless you already work fast and accurately, the 89 will help.

By Rubenizm (Rubenizm) on Thursday, October 23, 2003 - 11:34 pm: Edit

the ratio of the coeff of t is the slope

By Zechs (Zechs) on Thursday, October 23, 2003 - 11:35 pm: Edit

Thanks a lot Jason!

Can someone explain to me what a parametric equation is? Also conics.

By Rubenizm (Rubenizm) on Thursday, October 23, 2003 - 11:35 pm: Edit

and the 89 is gonna hurt you unless you practice a LOT. it's cpmlicated and you need to be fast.

By Dr_Slc (Dr_Slc) on Friday, October 24, 2003 - 12:00 am: Edit

i got a 800 with a TI-82, so you don't neeeed an 89, unless you have 150 dollars to spare..

By Mz_Sterious_510 (Mz_Sterious_510) on Friday, October 24, 2003 - 12:27 am: Edit

Parametric equations are equations with a paramter t, for x and y. If you aren't very familiar with them, you can use a TI-89 to graph paramtric equations by putting your calculator in parametric form and plugging in the two exquations (one for x and one for y) or you can solve for t to determine the exquation of the function in the standard form.

conic sections=
parabalos
hyperbolas
circles
ellipses

You should know the equations for all these and be able to graph on a calculator if applicable.

key terms: eccentricity, foci, latus rectum, major axis, minor axis

I wish I could offer some more help but I myself am drowning in all the material I need to practice for the math IIC. Good Luck!

By Encomium (Encomium) on Friday, October 24, 2003 - 01:34 am: Edit

Are conic sections on the Math IIC? I didn't know that.

By Mythologist (Mythologist) on Friday, October 24, 2003 - 10:51 am: Edit

Ti 83? Ti 89??????
I once tried and missed only 1 question without a calculator (oh yeah) and the question was about the value of sin20 and the rest of those boring questions I used long division and stuff like that. i think scientific calculators are more than enough. I do math really fast and i did the test in 40min. So i consider for most people time is the most important factor to consider. since i always find scientific calculators much faster to use than graphing ones, $10 is basicly all u need.

By Mz_Sterious_510 (Mz_Sterious_510) on Saturday, October 25, 2003 - 12:30 am: Edit

Conic sections are definitely on the exam.

Anyway, mythologist, not everyone excels at math nor can memorize all the necessary formulas to successfully complete the math IIC in the given time, so a graphing calculator (I use a casio not a TI-89 but they have basically the same features)can help some students to correctly and quickly answer questions they otherwise would have missed. By the way, what is the highest math you took before your exam?

By Abz1986 (Abz1986) on Saturday, October 25, 2003 - 12:44 am: Edit

"i got a 800 with a TI-82, so you don't neeeed an 89, unless you have 150 dollars to spare.. "

- No it should be "i got a 800 with a TI-82, so I don't need an 89...". Not everyone is as 1337 as you are. Here is my 2 cents:

The biggest problem on this test isn't missing problems. The biggest problem is like Jason said, time. The TI-89 gives advantage by saving you time. The TI-89 won't give you any insight on how to do math problems, it is only as smart as you are. If you know how to do the problems though, the TI-89 will allow you to be able to do them fast.

By Mz_Sterious_510 (Mz_Sterious_510) on Saturday, October 25, 2003 - 12:54 am: Edit

It helps people like me (who make extremely dumb errors that are not related to a lack of knowledge) to have a more accurate picture of the problem. Besides it is a fantastic time-saver.
I am memorizing all the formulas in addition just in case for november.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page