When should juniors take the SAT/SAT II?

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: SAT/ACT Tests and Test Preparation: October 2003 Archive: When should juniors take the SAT/SAT II?
By Slacker007 (Slacker007) on Thursday, October 23, 2003 - 09:21 pm: Edit

Hi. When are the best times for juniors to take the SAT and the SAT II's? If you are a senior, it would be helpful if you just posted when you took them last year. Also, if i take them again next year as a senior, will I be taking the new 2400 version or the same 1600 version i'll be taking this year? Thanks!

By Encomium (Encomium) on Thursday, October 23, 2003 - 09:29 pm: Edit

If you're in the class of 2005, you will not take the SAT with a score of 2400. That will come out well after you send in your college applications.

Time schedules vary. A common way to take it is in May or June, but some people start as early as January to give themselves time to either spread out their SAT II's later or have time to retake/study for the SAT if they don't like their scores then. Personally I believe I'm going to take the SAT I in march.

As far as SAT II's, I strongly recommend that you take the subject-based sAT II's (Chemistry, Biology, even Math IIC) at then end of the respective courses. Re-taking a biology SAT II in october when you haven't covered the material in a while, is very difficult. But, you can take stuff like the SAT II Writing and SAT II Literature whenever. Also, if it's an AP class and your school goes until mid-june, you could probably be ready for the SAT II in May, since AP exams are in May. It's a lot of personal choice. If you're willing to take 3 SAT II's in one day then you might have more freedom with the SAT I.

By Over30 (Over30) on Friday, October 24, 2003 - 12:07 am: Edit

If you studied for the PSAT and think you know the material, I recommend taking the SAT right after the PSAT since you've already prepped for it. It also depends on whether you'll want to take it more than 2 times, and whether you want to take three SAT IIs the same day. I say the earlier the better, it gives you more options to retake if you want to. Also agree about taking the SAT IIs at the end of the class, May or June.

By Yumpop (Yumpop) on Friday, October 24, 2003 - 01:16 am: Edit

Take SATs as soon as possible. I'm a junior and I finished math and biology SAT II's in June and I am done w/ the October SAT I too. It will be nice to relax Senior year about tests, since we'll already have college apps to worry about! Plus if you start now, you'll have time to retake later and study in between.

Good luck!

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page