SAT Math improvement stratagies (and a quandry)

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: SAT/ACT Tests and Test Preparation: October 2003 Archive: SAT Math improvement stratagies (and a quandry)
By Dazedhyacinth (Dazedhyacinth) on Thursday, October 23, 2003 - 06:56 pm: Edit

Well, the scores are in...and I'm pissed.
To start, I'm a verbal kid. I love english/editor of lit mag/ all that jazz. BUT I'm not a total math slouch either. I'm taking 2 math classes this year in addition to AP chem and getting an A in all three. But I have horrible math panic attacks and get freeze up. Here's the deal:
Last may, I got a 730V, 570M. No where close to what I need for the Ivys I want. So I retook them, after studying math like crazy. I really thought how could I not go up a few points in math after all that! Well, I managed. My new score is an 800V (for which I didn't study. At all. No practice tests, no checking my work, etc.) and a 590M. I've got to bring that up! I'm taking the ACT on saturday (last time, walking in totally unprepaired--"science? what science"--I got a 30). Again, my score depends on that math. What can I do!?!?!?

And the problem:
If my ACT is 32+, then no problem-o, but if it isn't, should I retake the SAT of the SAT IIs on Nov. 1. I realllllllly want to apply ED, and I've got everything else (grades, ecs, recs, essays). I just suck at testing. On the SAT IIs, I currently have 600M, 710Lit, 800 writing. Should I retake math and lit, or the SAT I? Help!

By Mz_Sterious_510 (Mz_Sterious_510) on Friday, October 24, 2003 - 12:34 am: Edit

May not be the best idea (...ok it is really far-fetched!):

Since you already have a 800 in verbal, why don't you retake the SAT I but only do the math sections, totally skip the verbal, instead do breathing/relaxing exercises and try to mentally and emotionaly prep for the math. Then your math skills will spring foward and spike up your score.

Additionally,ED may not be the best option for you, especially when you can pump up your testing.

Good luck!

By Zephyrmaster (Zephyrmaster) on Friday, October 24, 2003 - 01:11 am: Edit

Since you already have a 800 in verbal, why don't you retake the SAT I but only do the math sections, totally skip the verbal, instead do breathing/relaxing exercises and try to mentally and emotionaly prep for the math. Then your math skills will spring foward and spike up your score.

I don't know. If I PERSONALLY were an adcom, and I saw that someone got a 200v, 700ish math, I'd really think less of the person.

By Clipse (Clipse) on Friday, October 24, 2003 - 01:46 am: Edit

just do a half assed job on the verbal, and you can get a 500 no problems

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page