I just got my SAT I scores and I'm disappointed...

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: SAT/ACT Tests and Test Preparation: October 2003 Archive: I just got my SAT I scores and I'm disappointed...
By Ndbisme2 (Ndbisme2) on Thursday, October 23, 2003 - 06:32 pm: Edit

I need to increase my math score a lot.

On the October SAT (my first try on my senior year)

Math 570 65 Percentile
Verbal 650 89 Percentile

I definitely need a score in the 1400s.

Any advice on how to improve my math score? I already know what to do to improve my verbal score.

Any books recommended? I don't particularly like math and I am in pre cal honors this year.

By Incubus1 (Incubus1) on Thursday, October 23, 2003 - 06:35 pm: Edit

Well, I have a 1220 too...but I'll damned if I look at that test again. Anyhow, try Barron's. Anyway, will you have time to take the test again?

By Jens (Jens) on Thursday, October 23, 2003 - 06:35 pm: Edit

Try 10 reals, Barrons book specifically on math. The good side: math is really easy to improve! as long as u get the general gist, ur good to go cuz most of the questions have a common structure that ull realize once u've done a lot of them. How i improved my math was simply practicing and u only need to know some basic geometry and arthrimitic. but seriously work thru practice books- Barrons, Princeton Review, 10 reals,etc (Barrons is usually harder so it would be great practice.) Good Luck!

By Ndbisme2 (Ndbisme2) on Thursday, October 23, 2003 - 07:33 pm: Edit

Thanks for the help!

I'm good at algebra but I did not learn much in geometry 10th grade. Any good books that would help me out with my geometry? I've already read Barron's too.

I'm going to buy Gruber's and 10 Reals.

By Ndbisme2 (Ndbisme2) on Thursday, October 23, 2003 - 07:33 pm: Edit

Thanks for the help!

I'm good at algebra but I did not learn much in geometry 10th grade. Any good books that would help me out with my geometry? I've already read Barron's too.

I'm going to buy Gruber's and 10 Reals.

By Xiggi (Xiggi) on Thursday, October 23, 2003 - 07:51 pm: Edit

Ndbisme

Just focus on working though the old tests.

Get your Grubers, Barron's, or PR but do not do much more than a cursory review to know where the concepts are located.

Start by working to 2 or 3 tests without time limits, and with the books to help you AND with the answer key. It does not matter what you would score, you are simply making sure that you UNDERSTAND all the concepts and UNDERSTAND the answers. It should take you about ONE hour for each section. So, that should be about 10 hours and it is better to do one hour a day than 5 hours at once.

After that, move to solving the problems without looking in the books but with unlimited time. Do 1-3 tests under those conditions. Check the answer key AFTER taking the test. Make sure you go and check the concepts that tripped you.

Lastly, move to your last tests and respect the test conditions. If you get REALLY good, start trying to save time and finish early. But that is only important if you try for a perfect score.

Just remember one thing: If you SKIP all questions that carry a 4 or 5, you score above 600. So you can focus on all 1,2, and 3s and then pick and chose your victims to get another 50-150 points.

Voila!

By Jason817 (Jason817) on Thursday, October 23, 2003 - 07:59 pm: Edit

Nothing helps. 10 Reals, Barrons, PR, and Grubers are all garbage. I completed all of them at least once and my score didn't go up at all.

By Ahlawahed (Ahlawahed) on Thursday, October 23, 2003 - 08:03 pm: Edit

Im mad at my scores, i cant believe this, i know i got higher, well i did order the question answer service thing, but how about the score by hand, what kind of difference will that do, does the computer make a mistake or something

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page