SAT II French scores!

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: SAT/ACT Tests and Test Preparation: October 2003 Archive: SAT II French scores!
By Curiousone (Curiousone) on Thursday, October 23, 2003 - 06:28 pm: Edit

790...totally unexpected. I was scoring 700-720 consistently on practice tests the week before but crammed with the Princeton Review vocab list the afternoon before the test. Apparently it did a lot of good!

I am not a native speaker (my oral skill particularly with accents and spontaneous grammar is almost awful), but I am taking AP French Language right now...

Yayyyy...

anyone else that can report scores?

By Stacey15 (Stacey15) on Saturday, October 25, 2003 - 10:55 pm: Edit

im taking SAT II listening next sat?
was the test hard?
and im also taking the AP French language... i bought Barron's How to prepare for the AP French... i recommend it a lot!

By Curiousone (Curiousone) on Saturday, October 25, 2003 - 11:07 pm: Edit

I've been doing practice listening exercises in my AP class and those are surprisingly difficult, as you only get to hear the dialogue once, and the questions are not printed, only read once... so be prepared to take notes!

As for the reading part of the test...vocabulary wasn't very difficult at all (mostly because of the concise vocab list in PR I learned the previous day), grammar was okay but on other tests it has been easier, and some of the reading comprehension passages required a) a lot of concentration and b) a lot of figuring out from context. Some of them I had incredible difficulty even beginning to understand as a whole picture... but a lot of them were easier. It varied. There is a big curve though, you can miss about 10 questions or so (by leaving them blank, but I didn't omit too many this time) as far as I know and still get an 800.

By Sarbear (Sarbear) on Sunday, October 26, 2003 - 01:12 am: Edit

800 (But I'm a native speaker, so I guess that's sort of cheating! . Well, ok, not really )

By Smartmika (Smartmika) on Sunday, October 26, 2003 - 01:39 am: Edit

Je trouve que c'est bon que vous avez réussi avec vos SAT IIs. Mais, je dois me demander si ou si pas vous pouvez comprendre bien la langue française. Je dois penser que non.

Pour moi, il semble que vous avez appris (par coeur) des listes de la vocabulaire et (comme peu que vous pouvez) la grammaire. C'est mauvais qu'on ne doit pas savoir le français pour réussir avec les SATs.

Peut-être (j'espère) que l'AP est plus indicatif des capacités françaises. Je ne sais pas.

Est-ce que vous avez des recommandations pour m'aider à améliorer mon français??

Merci beaucoup!! J'attends une réponse impatiemment.

Michael

By Sarbear (Sarbear) on Sunday, October 26, 2003 - 02:18 am: Edit

Toi, tu ne dois rien dire, comme tu te trompes beaucoup toi même!

Bon, je vais corriger ton message :)

"C'est vrais que vous avez marqué de bonnes notes, mais je me demande si vous comprennez bien le français. Je crois que non. Vous apprenez par coeur des listes de vocabulaire. C'est domage qu'il ne faut pas beaucoup savoir pour les SAT II. J'espère que les AP exigent plus! "

Let's see... recommendations? Hmmm. I'm working on a grammar booklet for a friend right now, so when I'm done I can e-mail that to you. You really just need to practice, especially orally. Most of my friends in AP/IB French can write pretty well (although their writing is very basic, formulaic, and formal), but they have attrocious oral skills/ accents. I'm sure there's a branch of L'Alliance Française near you. Volunteer down there, or ask them for a tutor. They're awesome if you are committed to learning.

Sarah

By Smartmika (Smartmika) on Sunday, October 26, 2003 - 04:01 am: Edit

You corrected parts of my post that weren't incorrect. You changed "I must wonder whether or not you are able to well understand the French language." to "but I wonder if you well understand french."

You didn't correct errors, you just changed the style of it. But thank god, at least people can read French!

My speaking/comprehension skills aren't bad... I studied in France for a few weeks this summer.

Sarbear--are you able to give me more specific information about "L'Alliance Française"? I live in Waymart PA in the US (the closest major city to me is Scranton). I don't know if the alliance exists near me.

Any other advice?

Merci!

Michael

By Sarbear (Sarbear) on Sunday, October 26, 2003 - 05:59 am: Edit

I corrected that part because you can't say "si ou si pas" and because nobody says "la langue française" despite its being correct.

I can't help you out too much with info about the organization in Scranton (although I know there are 8 locations in PA), but here's their website: http://www.afusa.org/
I really hope i could help! By the way, where in France were you??

Ton amie,

Sarah

By Smartmika (Smartmika) on Sunday, October 26, 2003 - 12:26 pm: Edit

Ah oui, re-merci sarbear. LOL What i wrote didn't make sense :)

I stayed in Lyon--and Paris... I will check out that site now.

Michael

By Curiousone (Curiousone) on Monday, October 27, 2003 - 06:40 pm: Edit

That was really unnecessarily cruel. The SAT II is nothing like real French, face it - therefore if I only scored in the low 700's prior to memorizing a list of vocab words, it does not indicate that I don't "know" French. Are you saying that everyone who scores in the low 700's on the SAT I verbal can't understand English? I think not. Come on now.

BTW, have you even TAKEN the SAT II French test? If you have, then you know that there ARE *really* difficult reading passages in each test. It's sheer arrogance if you think people are stupid just because they admit they had trouble understanding passages that were that convoluted.

CO, qui est très fâchée d'être insulté comme ça après qu'elle vient de finir une pièce de Molière pour ses devoirs d'A.P.

By Thelazyone (Thelazyone) on Monday, October 27, 2003 - 06:47 pm: Edit

I didn't decide to take French until the night before the test. I was looking at the statistics, and the AP US history only had 7% over 750, while the French had 15%, so I decided to switch.

By Thelazyone (Thelazyone) on Monday, October 27, 2003 - 07:24 pm: Edit

Hmm, that came off sounding like I never had anything to do with French before... actually I had taken two years of it.

By Bluebaron1616 (Bluebaron1616) on Monday, October 27, 2003 - 08:00 pm: Edit

I don't know.

I thought the real SAT II French test in the 22 real SATs was way harder than the AP test.

I took the AP last year and it wasn't so bad. I got a five and French is my third language.

Chere Sarbear:

Est-ce que tu viens de Quebec ou Europe?

Il ne m'a pris qu'une annee d'apprendre le francais-parce ce que je suis SIIIIIII intelligent!(Blague). Ce n'etait pas assez difficile comme j'ai imagine.
Bien sur mon francais n'est pas parfait mais ce n'est pas ma langue maternelle.
(Si tu n'avais pas encore realise....je suis un peu paresseux et j'oublie mes accents partout.)
P.S. Est-ce que tu peux m'enseigner des autres "mots" dans la meme catagorie comme salo, con, merde etc... (Encore une autre plaisanterie.)

Tout le monde:

J'ai quelques questions. Est-ce que vous savez qu'on doit prendre les SAT II French aussi si on a deja pris l'examen d'AP (si on voudrait s'assiter a une universite prestigeuse aux Etats Unis)?

By Curiousone (Curiousone) on Monday, October 27, 2003 - 08:06 pm: Edit

It's probably unnecessary to take the SAT II in French if you've already received a 5 on the AP exam. SAT II scores are used to have people with a qualifying score place out of beginning classes in college, which you can do with the 5 on the AP exam as well. You do need at least 3 SAT II tests in general, though, one of which needs to be Writing, another one maybe Math I or IIC, and then the third is up to you unless you're in engineering, in which case you should take a science one...

By Greekstyle (Greekstyle) on Wednesday, October 29, 2003 - 08:57 pm: Edit

Is there anywhere online I can find a useful list of French vocabulary words, as I am taking my French SAT II this Saturday?

By Compewter (Compewter) on Wednesday, October 29, 2003 - 09:30 pm: Edit

What's with all the bloody "tu"? Crikey! Don't you know that vous is so much more polite. Tisk tisk

By Sarbear (Sarbear) on Thursday, October 30, 2003 - 01:41 am: Edit

bluebaron - je suis française (les quebecois ne parlent pas le vrais français!!

compewter - ici, il faut tutoyer. on ne dit vous que quand on veut être hyperformel!! (really formal)

By Bluebaron1616 (Bluebaron1616) on Thursday, October 30, 2003 - 01:30 pm: Edit

lol!

"les quebecois ne parlent pas le vrais français"

Si mon prof en Canada avait ete ici...

Franchement je suis en accord avec toi.

C'est presque impossible de comprendre le Quebecois.

By Reasonabledad (Reasonabledad) on Saturday, July 31, 2004 - 04:19 pm: Edit

My French wife (native speaker from Paris) wants me to tell everyone that in her view the book "Mastering French Vocabulary" by Barron's is excellent for plugging the gaps in a student's knowledge of the French Language.

Does anyone have a grading curve for the SAT II test in French?

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page