SAT Vocabulary

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: SAT/ACT Tests and Test Preparation: October 2003 Archive: SAT Vocabulary
By Whtx (Whtx) on Wednesday, October 22, 2003 - 07:09 pm: Edit

I have decided to make flashcards and try to memorize 20-25 vocabs from the SAT wordlists. Im just sick of seeing vocabs pop up on the test and really have no clue as to what it means...

To who tell you that you gotta red alot or whatever, they're wrong. Reading definately helps you get better at English but I feel that studying vocabs are the way to go in defeating the analogy and sentence completetion.

When you read something, you dont know a word, you understand it through context and just forget about it in less than 1 FKING second. WHO the F would remember that word 3 months later? Thats why I think that method is BS... Does anyone agree with me that studying around 2000 vocabs will greatly help your verbal score?

By Jason817 (Jason817) on Wednesday, October 22, 2003 - 07:13 pm: Edit

2000? no. 250? definatly. Memorize the "hit lists" and the "most frequently used" word lists. Avoid Barrons/Kaplans' thousands of words.

It's true what you said that reading helps crit. reading but not vocab.

By Smartmika (Smartmika) on Wednesday, October 22, 2003 - 07:16 pm: Edit

Well, I would say that the majority of people who score superbly in Verbal do read often--and words DO stick.

Personally, I have a love of words--and if I read a new one, I make sure I remember it. I've never studied "vocabulary" and I've never gotten any analogy or sentence completions wrong on my SATs.

Studying around 2000 vocabulary words is just sad--more notably, pathetic. But go for it if you're willing to--there is now way you're going to remember all the words, and (more importantly), you'd be VERY lucky if six of those words actually appears on the test.

My advice: sit down, open a book, and enjoy. You'll learn without realizing it. Otherwise, stick to improving your math score.

Michael

By Wjk323 (Wjk323) on Wednesday, October 22, 2003 - 07:58 pm: Edit

how are you doing on the CR's though?
anals and sc's are easy to improve on...give it a month or two of practicing..and solving those type of questions will be like second nature.
However, improving the CR's is difficult, even though you might "feel" like if your not improving, you actually are when you start reading. On the other hand, you should read for the joy of it, not because its obligatory.

By Abz1986 (Abz1986) on Wednesday, October 22, 2003 - 08:08 pm: Edit

Personally, I don't love words, infact, I dipise them :p

Words like invidious and disconsolate kill me on the analogies (not so much on sentence completion).

And I don't read much either, but somehow, I do pretty well on the Critical Reading Section in practice tests (usually miss 0)

By Studiousvegetar (Studiousvegetar) on Wednesday, October 22, 2003 - 08:19 pm: Edit

I would learn roots/prefixes/sufixes b/c those can help you figure out the meaning of a word that you don't know. No list can ever predict any and every SAT word (unless it is the dictionary.)

By Number9 (Number9) on Wednesday, October 22, 2003 - 09:11 pm: Edit

I memorized Gruber's list (or at least in the process still) of 3400. Ive found myself much more prudent in the way of analogies.

I agree with learning roots, suffixes, and prefixes; and hitlists.

I learned the 3400 list because I wanted to expand my overall vocabulary for writing and such.

By Escaria (Escaria) on Wednesday, October 22, 2003 - 09:29 pm: Edit

rofl - honestly i never bother with memorizing vocab cuz wel.. it just doesn't help me
i know i'm not going to remember it so .. :P

the thing with the verbal part is.. people that speak another language (from latin i mean like french etc.) will have a bit of an advantage because english basically steals words from other languages ;)

ex. legume from the other thread...
shrugs- it's not hard for me cuz i speak french, but most ppl have no idea what it means :P

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page