Is Barron's vocab enough for the SAT?

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: SAT/ACT Tests and Test Preparation: October 2003 Archive: Is Barron's vocab enough for the SAT?
By Mic (Mic) on Wednesday, October 22, 2003 - 06:22 am: Edit

Hi, I am wondering if Barron's 3,500 vocab is enough for the SAT? I am a non-native speaker so when I encounter words in analogies in the Kaplan book such as "lentil" and "legume," which I don't think appear on the Barrons vocab list, I simply have no idea what I should put. So should I memorize a bit more than the Barrons wordlists?

Thanks!

By Raindrops (Raindrops) on Wednesday, October 22, 2003 - 07:08 am: Edit

It's MORE than enough. Don't go beyong Barron's. If you don't know what legume means, you can review some elementary school spelling books (not mean to sound harsh). =)

By Mic (Mic) on Wednesday, October 22, 2003 - 08:06 am: Edit

hehe, thanks raindrops, i know what you mean. For me, sometimes the supposedly easiest analogies on plants, animals are simply my nightmare.

By Xiggi (Xiggi) on Wednesday, October 22, 2003 - 11:49 am: Edit

I don't think appear on the Barrons vocab list,

Welcome to the REAL world. 99% of the words on the Barron's list will not appear on future SAT tests.

I understand that it is difficult for non-natives to stay away from the Barron's list but you should try to locate lists that are simpler and more effective. Your best bet is still to spend ALL your time working on past tests and refining your skills.

By Ryuukami (Ryuukami) on Wednesday, October 22, 2003 - 05:21 pm: Edit

Xiggi, I know you to be good for your word and all that (from most of the threads i have read) but how are you so SURE that most of the Barron's words will NOT appear on future SATs? Is it b/c they are chaning it? Please clarify this...

By Tennizpro06 (Tennizpro06) on Wednesday, October 22, 2003 - 05:39 pm: Edit

ive used barrons and it worked great. if you're a loser like me, try picking up the huge one from grubers also.

By Xiggi (Xiggi) on Wednesday, October 22, 2003 - 06:14 pm: Edit

Ryuukami~

I have tested the existing Barron's list against most disclosed tests, and especially the recent ones. The words that appear on the test and are on the list are the most common words that almost everyone should know. However, to get to the "regular" words, you have to go through more than 3,000 words that are simply too complex to be on a SAT test. The reason is simple, Barron's is using the same list for its GRE and SAT books.

However, do not take my "word" for it. Just buy the October 2003 tests when it will become available and go scout for the words that appeared on the list, and ask yourselfif you needed the 3500 wordlist to know the words.

From the reports on the words that appeared on the latest test, it looks like my "opinion" about the validity of Barron's will be confirmed, one more time. There were tons of words that both appeared in Barron's and on the test. Too bad that all of them were in the math sections. :)

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page