Whats more important: SAT I or SAT IIs?

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: SAT/ACT Tests and Test Preparation: October 2003 Archive: Whats more important: SAT I or SAT IIs?
By Spyrey (Spyrey) on Tuesday, October 21, 2003 - 09:44 pm: Edit

I've been thinking about which test(s) are more important. My SAT is 1330 right now, and my SAT II scores are pretty sad.
My SAT IIs are:
Writing: 670
Math IC: 690
Math IIC: 640

What is more important? Am I okay, even though my SAT IIs are weak? Should I tackle the SAT IIs again in hopes of getting higher scores?

By Jason817 (Jason817) on Tuesday, October 21, 2003 - 09:47 pm: Edit

depends on the school. FOr UC's, SAT II's are FAR more important

By Jens (Jens) on Tuesday, October 21, 2003 - 09:50 pm: Edit

Whats more important? Definetely SAT, but SAT IIs r very important as well. First of all be4 u decide to retake, r u a senior? what colleges r u aiming for? do u realistically think u can do A LOT better? (dont take it over for 50 or so points, it wouldnt make much diff). Once u get those things into perspective, then u decide. other wise dont retake unless u study study study and not "just hope" cuz it wont work and will be a waste of nerves, time and money.
Good Luck.

By Drusba (Drusba) on Tuesday, October 21, 2003 - 11:05 pm: Edit

What you might want to do as to a retake depends substantially on where you are intending to apply. SAT II's are generally required at ivies, UC's, and a number of your other schools in the east and west that have low admission rates. In the vast part of the country that lies between the Appalachians and California, there is only one school that actually requires SAT II's -- Rice; Northwestern recommends them and requires them for certain special programs. Thus, for the vast majority of schools in the US you can chuck your SAT II scores because they neither require them or rely on them for admission. At UC's, SAT II's likely have more importance (the system was even considering scrapping the SAT I); at others that require SAT II's they are close to the same importance as the SAT I and in some cases more important. At some of those, Yale, Penn, Brown, Johns Hopkins, Tufts, and some others, you can actually submit the ACT in lieu of both the SAT and SAT II's.

By Spyrey (Spyrey) on Wednesday, October 22, 2003 - 12:44 am: Edit

Thanks for the advice. I'm aiming for Cornell--does anyone know how important SAT IIs are for that school? I took the SAT I in October again--since I got my math up to a 760 on a practice test, I'm thinking that I got at least above 700 the real thing. That's why I'm concerned about the SAT IIs--I feel that my SAT I will finally be decent, but honestly, my SAT IIs are aweful.

By Jens (Jens) on Wednesday, October 22, 2003 - 07:05 pm: Edit

I would definetely take SAT IIs for Cornell. Cornell, tho is not like the other ivies in its almost impossible admissions, but nevertheless, I'm pretty sure SAT IIs play a significant role. However dont stress, other factors r important if not more (activities, essay, etc)

By Spyrey (Spyrey) on Wednesday, October 22, 2003 - 10:48 pm: Edit

Thanks for the encouraging words!

By Encomium (Encomium) on Thursday, October 23, 2003 - 01:15 am: Edit

50 pts might make a difference though which 'looks' better
670/690/640
or
720/740/690

?

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page