Sat course

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: SAT/ACT Tests and Test Preparation: October 2003 Archive: Sat course
By Hollaratme (Hollaratme) on Tuesday, October 21, 2003 - 08:20 pm: Edit

has anybody taken a sat course which they thought was really good,or even heard was really good did it help you please let me know esp if its avaible in the ny nj area thanks

By Hollaratme (Hollaratme) on Tuesday, October 21, 2003 - 09:58 pm: Edit

bumppppppppp

By Ivybound (Ivybound) on Tuesday, October 21, 2003 - 10:02 pm: Edit

The PR course is supposed to be really good. They guarantee a score improvement and posted pretty high average increases on their Web site. I have their prep books and think they're the best company at teaching how to take the SAT. Very easy to follow approach.

By Smartmika (Smartmika) on Tuesday, October 21, 2003 - 10:02 pm: Edit

SAT prep courses are a waste of time. Here are my recommendations:

Take challenging math courses. Perhaps you could purchase a book on the subject and work from it. Or, at least, from older versions of the SAT tests.

For verbal, read. Your a moron to memorize vocabulary. The ability to discern the nuances of literature can only be acquired through reading.

Michael

By Mk1o3o (Mk1o3o) on Wednesday, October 22, 2003 - 01:20 am: Edit

yea...

By Hollaratme (Hollaratme) on Wednesday, October 22, 2003 - 04:52 pm: Edit

what do u mean by a challenging math course

By Clickspring (Clickspring) on Wednesday, October 22, 2003 - 07:24 pm: Edit

he means take precalc in high school

By Matlm (Matlm) on Wednesday, October 22, 2003 - 08:45 pm: Edit

if you can afford it, it wouldn't hurt to take a course.

By Hollaratme (Hollaratme) on Thursday, October 23, 2003 - 02:49 pm: Edit

im takin pre calc right now i can afford it but what shud i take

By Hollaratme (Hollaratme) on Saturday, October 25, 2003 - 09:31 am: Edit

bump

By Xiggi (Xiggi) on Saturday, October 25, 2003 - 01:27 pm: Edit

If your objective is to score between 1100 and 1300, ALL the classes are pretty similar. If your aim is to score higher, you will be much better off on your own.

The classes are expert are making sure that average students reach their true potential and end up scoring ... average. The guarantee is not worth anything. It is a guarantee to retake the same ineffective class.

My recommendation: invest the same time in working through the 10 RS, spend 1/10 of the money in buying a few source books and you'll come out way ahead. If you have monet to burn, you should discuss to hire one of the INDIVIDUAL tutors. That is a better option than the general class. However, ask for MULTIPLES references and monitor your progress on the 10 RS.

Just a final comment, there is obviously NO precalc or trig on the SAT. All the math material is 9th grade and is only Algebra1 and regular Geometry. If you happen to know the Law od Sines or Cosines, it may help on an occasional question, but that would be as ultra rare as a 1600 score :)

By Jongleur (Jongleur) on Saturday, October 25, 2003 - 10:46 pm: Edit

I took the Princeton Review Honors Course over the summer. I went from a 1340 (630 on verbal and 710 on math)in April to a 1510 (790 on verbal and 720 on math) this October. I would highly recommend the course.

By Rubenizm (Rubenizm) on Sunday, October 26, 2003 - 12:33 am: Edit

wow that's really nice jongleur, congratulations. and i'm always bitter and sarcastic.

By Hollaratme (Hollaratme) on Sunday, October 26, 2003 - 05:47 pm: Edit

i have a 1100 right now and i want to atleast get a 1300... i HEARD I CAN waiver into the honors course but then im not guaranted the 1400, but the honors course has the best teachers and all so even if i dont get a 1400 im still taakin the course from the best.

By Satstudent (Satstudent) on Thursday, October 30, 2003 - 09:05 pm: Edit

Jongleur,

From 630 to 790 verbal in one summer is one HUGE improvement, especially for verbal. Congrats.

Can you tell us what did you learned that helped you improved so much? Typically, verbal is much more difficult to improve than math.

thanks

By Studiousvegetar (Studiousvegetar) on Thursday, October 30, 2003 - 09:19 pm: Edit

I took regular Princeton Review. I went from a 1320 to a 1380.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page