Kaplan's 1600?

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: SAT/ACT Tests and Test Preparation: October 2003 Archive: Kaplan's 1600?
By Elrohir (Elrohir) on Tuesday, October 21, 2003 - 11:40 am: Edit

If anyone's used the book, is it worth it? And what about their (Kaplan's) online course - "SAT Target 1600"?

Do they really give you a boost, because I'm currently scoring around 1400 in my Princeton Review diagnostics (in hindsight I shouldn't have some for the course, costs wayyy too much, and you don't get nearly as much as they say you do).. and I'd like to score above 1500. In my last test I got 760 in math, and 650 in Verbal. My verbal score sucks, I really need to work on it.

So anyone here think the book or the course would help me get a boost of 100 points? I'll be starting on the Barron's book soon, so this will probably be in addition to that.

By Encomium (Encomium) on Tuesday, October 21, 2003 - 12:46 pm: Edit

I like the book because instead of going through arduous strategies and stuff for people scoring a 900...this gives you the very hardest questions. I like their strategies too. I used them for the PSAT and was able to weasle my way through and get the answer for 2 tough analogies and critical readings.

It will also help your math score to see the very hardest concepts.

I like it.

By Matlm (Matlm) on Tuesday, October 21, 2003 - 03:37 pm: Edit

DO NOT DO THE TARGET 1600 COURSE!!!!!!!

It is an utter rip off. I don't know about the book, but the online program is a total waste of time. They do not focus on "harder" problems, in fact they just repeat the exact same things that they do in regular prep. It is a complete waste of money.

By Metra (Metra) on Tuesday, October 21, 2003 - 04:32 pm: Edit

How does it help on verbal? I think all SAT books have all the dif kinds of analogies and sentence completion is basically common sense. What does this book do?

I guess you could use math to completely ensure an 800 (although i'll manage to get a stupid mistake or 2).

By Anduin (Anduin) on Tuesday, October 21, 2003 - 05:28 pm: Edit

I read part of the 1600 SAT book, and found it very helpful, especially on the analogies. Of course, I had done no other prep for the SAT, and I am sure that the 1600 Test Taker book is not the only one that introduces the concept of a bridge and types thereof.

However, I found that the analogies in the book were harder than any on the actual test, which I think helped. So the book is worthwhile.

By Wjk323 (Wjk323) on Tuesday, October 21, 2003 - 07:31 pm: Edit

i have the book..
just because its harder doesnt mean its better
just practice with the 10 REal's

By Ickyfoo (Ickyfoo) on Tuesday, October 21, 2003 - 07:55 pm: Edit

i'm using it(mostly just the math section) along w/ 10 real sats

By Elrohir (Elrohir) on Wednesday, October 22, 2003 - 04:12 pm: Edit

Thank for all the messages! I'll be getting my hands on the book then... will be working through the 10 Real SATs book too.

By Jros_2002 (Jros_2002) on Sunday, October 26, 2003 - 04:31 pm: Edit

I wouldn't recommend Kaplan. I recently finished a vocab book by Kaplan with 750 must know words for SAT. The book is divided into 3 sections - words you ought to know, harder words you ought to know, and really hard words you ought to know. The book did improve my vocabulary, but many words beyond section 1 were a complete waste of time to memorize. When I took the PSAT i found that i struggled on a few of the sentence comp/analagies. Lesson: harder doesn't equal better. Now in preparation for the dec 6 SAT i bought a book by princten review. These words seem more realistic and indicative of what is actually on the SAT. I wouldn't buy anything from Barron either. I found the pre-test SAT on Barron's SAT 1 to be blown out of proportion to whats actually on the 10 real SATs by the college board.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page