Sophomore... National Merit?

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: SAT/ACT Tests and Test Preparation: October 2003 Archive: Sophomore... National Merit?
By Aravis (Aravis) on Monday, October 20, 2003 - 07:26 pm: Edit

Is it possible for a sophomore to be a national merit scholar? I don't think it likely but the guidance department at my school said it was possible... Is it true?

By Tenista09 (Tenista09) on Monday, October 20, 2003 - 07:32 pm: Edit

If you get a 2400

By Tanman (Tanman) on Monday, October 20, 2003 - 07:39 pm: Edit

As far as I know, the only way a sophomore can become a scholar is if they plan to graduate high school after 11th grade.

By Mazzo (Mazzo) on Monday, October 20, 2003 - 07:43 pm: Edit

no you must be a junior

By Curiousone (Curiousone) on Monday, October 20, 2003 - 08:33 pm: Edit

Doesn't matter what your score is. Only juniors taking the PSAT are qualified. Sophomores just take it to see how they might do the following year and what they should improve on, etc. Otherwise, it means nothing.

By Marite (Marite) on Monday, October 20, 2003 - 08:53 pm: Edit

From National Merit Corporation website:

"Students who plan to leave high school a year (or more) early to enroll in college full time usually can participate in NMSC programs if they take the PSAT/NMSQT before they enroll in college full time. Such students must take the PSAT/NMSQT in either the next-to-last year or the last year they are enrolled in high school.
Those who take the PSAT/NMSQT in the next-to-last year of high school will be entering the competition for awards to be offered as they are finishing their final high school year.
Those who take the PSAT/NMSQT in their last year of high school will be entering the competition for awards to be offered as they are completing their first year of college. "

By Geniusash (Geniusash) on Tuesday, October 21, 2003 - 06:55 pm: Edit

Not unless you're graduating early, I made the cut-off as a sophmore and didn't get anything.

By Mpnolan (Mpnolan) on Tuesday, October 21, 2003 - 07:02 pm: Edit

Great. I took it for no reason.

Well, I didn't do well (guess: 200/240) so I guess that's good.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page