How much does Having a good breakfast and a full nights slee

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: SAT/ACT Tests and Test Preparation: October 2003 Archive: How much does Having a good breakfast and a full nights slee
By Matlm (Matlm) on Monday, October 20, 2003 - 06:49 pm: Edit

For years, ever sicne I was in first grade I have been told to "Have a full nights sleep and have a large breakfast." I never really paid any attention to it.

Before I took my October SATs, (which I think I bombed) I got an average amount of sleep, and didn't really have much of a full meal. ( I have a very dry mouth and it is hard for me to swallow food in the morning.)

When asked how I could improve my math scores, when The problems i was getting wrong were the easy ones he told me "Have a full nights sleep and a large breakfast."

Im starting to think that it's true, how do you guys feel?

By Crnchycereal (Crnchycereal) on Monday, October 20, 2003 - 06:59 pm: Edit

Well, I'd say first of all that it certainly can't HURT. Sleep will rest your mind, as well as your body. And having a quick energy breakfast can help you think faster. I can't really speak from experience, though. I have this ridiculous habit of not getting to sleep if I know I have to wake up early the next morning to do something. For example, for my April 2003 SAT I exam, I got about 3.5 hours of sleep...couldn't fall asleep until 3 something in the morning. For my June 2003 SAT II's, I got about 4.5 hours...though that was mostly because I woke up randomly at 5 AM because of a nose bleed....and ONE time, when I had to wake up at 6 AM to drive some friends and me to PA for paintball, I couldn't fall asleep until about 2:15 because it was hot, I was just too friggin NERVOUS about driving to PA, and I had this massive nosebleed at around 1:15 AM...but anyway, to answer your original question, a lot of sleep and a good breakfast definitely help, but I'm just some weird anomaly...

By Doofus (Doofus) on Monday, October 20, 2003 - 07:05 pm: Edit

I got 5 hours of sleep and no breakfast...I'll let you know friday!

By Jason817 (Jason817) on Monday, October 20, 2003 - 07:08 pm: Edit

dont get too much sleep. Get 6-7 hours at least.

By Freak4korn72 (Freak4korn72) on Tuesday, October 21, 2003 - 03:55 pm: Edit

I'd say get at least 6 hours of sleep because you will easily become bored by the 3rd verbal or math section and not able to focus after 3 hours of testing.

I'd also say get a decent meal in before you take the test because then during those 4 hours you wont have to worry about your stomach rumbling or bugging you to feed it so you can focus more.

It will help you with the latter sections

By Number9 (Number9) on Tuesday, October 21, 2003 - 04:20 pm: Edit

Heh. I was drowning in work, so I was up until 3am. I woke at 5:30am to get read for school. Didn't have time for breakfast, and my intestines felt like they were twisted.

I grabbed a Mt. Dew and a miniature halloween-sized Three Musketeers as a quick snack, and it was time for the PSATs.

I felt like I was going to vomit throughout the entire first half of the test. I still didn't do bad (too quick to say, really).

I think it depends on what type of person you are. I, somehow, manage to be more alert when I sleep less. I become extremely lathargic when I get a normal 6+ hours of sleep.

By Mk1o3o (Mk1o3o) on Tuesday, October 21, 2003 - 06:15 pm: Edit

from my own experience, i would say that sleep (6-7 hours) is the most important factor on test day. Also a carb breakfast is good for you too. if you need a placebo, you can always take vitamins every other day, 2 weeks before the test. (which i did for the oct sat...)

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page