PSAT scores available...when?

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: SAT/ACT Tests and Test Preparation: October 2003 Archive: PSAT scores available...when?
By Beenthereil (Beenthereil) on Sunday, October 19, 2003 - 12:06 pm: Edit

Does anyone know when the scores will be available on line for yesterdays PSAT?

Thanks.

By Tanman (Tanman) on Sunday, October 19, 2003 - 12:08 pm: Edit

I dont think PSAT scores are avaliable online. As far as I know, we get them from our schools in December

By Beenthereil (Beenthereil) on Sunday, October 19, 2003 - 12:38 pm: Edit

Thanks, Tan. You are correct.

After I posted, I went to their site (I should have done that first!) and found out that they do not give the scores via the phone or online.

Mailed to the schools in late November for delivery to the students as the schools chose.

By Thedad (Thedad) on Sunday, October 19, 2003 - 01:46 pm: Edit

"As the schools choose." [shudder]

Some schools are quite lackadaisical, dilatory, and cavalier about it (three great words for your SAT analogy questions) and you might not get them until late Janurary if you don't press.

By Pookdogg (Pookdogg) on Sunday, October 19, 2003 - 06:16 pm: Edit

I wouldn't get too antsy over the scores; after all, a watched pot never boils. Even when you get your scores in December or January (I got mine late January), the score won't mean anything until near the end of the year, when the commended scholars are announced. Good luck!

By Thedad (Thedad) on Monday, October 20, 2003 - 01:00 am: Edit

Well, I'll disagree a little. If you get a very good score, it lets you tweak the focus on what schools you're applying to, which in turn can affect what schools you visit over Spring Break.

You can also start working on the Semi-Finalist essay early and not be freaking out when the school gives you your packet a week before it's due back.

By Catfish011 (Catfish011) on Monday, October 20, 2003 - 02:16 am: Edit

theres a semi finalist essay?
that blows!!!!

By Xiggi (Xiggi) on Monday, October 20, 2003 - 01:12 pm: Edit

Some schools are quite lackadaisical, dilatory, and cavalier about it (three great words for your SAT analogy questions) and you might not get them until late Janurary if you don't press.

I agree completely. I also received my scores in late January. It made me realize that I needed to do quite a bit of work for the SAT.

As most people who frequent this board know, it is NOT a good idea to follow the advice of your school counselors. In our school, freshmen have to take some BS test written by McGraw Hill (NBET or something like that), then sophomores have to take the equally idiotic PLAN that is somewhat of a Pre-ACT test, and finally, Juniors take the PSAT. Since my parents and I did not know any better, we followed the established pattern. Looking back, that is obviously a ridiculous pattern. First off, who needs to take those moronic tests as freshman and sophomores and who needs a preliminary ACT test that serves to evaluate students' aptitude to make it as a woodchopper or a mechanic? If anyone plans to take the sub-par ACT test, he can do that without those preliminary tests.

However, the SAT and PSAT are tests that can and SHOULD be prepared for. Following the pattern established by the schools, a LOT of students receive their FIRST indication of "aptitude" in January of the junior year. That does NOT leave much time to prepare, especially since the January-June of most students' junior year is the MOST BRUTAL of HS.
What I would recommend to ANYONE is not to wait for the PSAT grades and to take a SAT in November, December or January, and use that as yardstick. Waiting for the PSAT grades to roll in serves little purpose. The test is NOT necessarily the best indicator on how well you will do on the SAT. I increased my PSAT score by more than 300 points, just by studying the tests and strategies and spending about 60 hours in preparation.

What is the conclusion of all of this? I think that taking the PSAT test serves only one purpose and that is toqualify for the scholarships and that you should not make it a stepping stone for your SAT preparation. There are better ways to get there. The only caveat is that the situation will be a bit different with the PSAT 2004 and the post-spring 2005 SAT tests. The 2004 PSAT will be an important element since it will be the first unveiling of the new format. As far as the PSAT goes, everybody should campaign his/her school to let them take the PSAT as a freshman or sophomore. The more practice, the better you will become on the PSAT ... unless you plan to become a lumberjack, then the PLAN is wonderful!

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page