How can a non english speaker do good on SAT?

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: SAT/ACT Tests and Test Preparation: October 2003 Archive: How can a non english speaker do good on SAT?
By Gokuzcl (Gokuzcl) on Sunday, October 19, 2003 - 12:51 am: Edit

question as topic. How can one improve their writing and reading skill in one year? please help.

By Hertish (Hertish) on Sunday, October 19, 2003 - 01:21 am: Edit

read a lot and memorize a lot of vocab!!!!

By Sidis (Sidis) on Sunday, October 19, 2003 - 10:52 am: Edit

do practice tests. Study with your english teacher

By Studiousvegetar (Studiousvegetar) on Sunday, October 19, 2003 - 12:03 pm: Edit

Learn new words and do lots of practice reading comp sections. Reading comp. is the largest part of the verbal section. good luck.

By Gabypa (Gabypa) on Sunday, October 19, 2003 - 07:14 pm: Edit

I dunno. Strangely enough, I'm really good at verbal, and I've only learnt English three and a half years ago.

I've always been a maniac bibliophile, though. That might have helped.

Ever since I had to enter the American school, most of my reading (both academic and recreational) has been done in English. I guess it's that.

By Sidis (Sidis) on Monday, October 20, 2003 - 07:58 pm: Edit

Yeah Gabypa is right, even though you might not be a word wiz you could still learn a lot by reading with a dictionary at hand.I still recommend doing practice tests... my scores have improved by 300 pts only by learning of my mistakes (I also studied english by my own)

Good luck

By Xiggi (Xiggi) on Monday, October 20, 2003 - 08:31 pm: Edit

In addition to spending as much time as possible on older tests, you will find that studying roots, prefixes, and suffixes will help.

Students who studied latin, greek, and some roman languages have a definitive advantage over students from Asian countries. For that reason, not all foreigners are in the same boat when it comes to English.

If you have a year, try to get a few subscriptions to US magazines. If they are too expensive, check your library or even the US consulate. They may not have magazines but they have trade publications that are free. Pick something that INTERESTS you, so you WILL stick to your reading. Study the articles to get familiar with new vocabulary, grammar, and sentence construction. Also, check the SAT question of the day and suscribe to the varous sites that send you one word a day.

Finally, find a SMALL dictionary and carry it all times. Whenevr you have free time, just read a few pages. You could also start doing crosswords puzzles ... it is amazing how it builds up a good vocabulary and forces you to explore secondary and tertiary meanings of simple words.

Good luck!

By Gabypa (Gabypa) on Monday, October 20, 2003 - 08:39 pm: Edit

Yep.

My personal suggestion:

Subscribe to The New Yorker, Harper's, Foreign Affairs, and The Economist.

:-)

By Gokuzcl (Gokuzcl) on Friday, October 24, 2003 - 10:51 pm: Edit

Thanks, i will try the suggestions from all of you. One year away, hopefully i can learn enough to do good on SAT. I have another question, my grades in school are all A's but often i found i didn't learn anything, what should i do?

By Gokuzcl (Gokuzcl) on Sunday, October 26, 2003 - 01:07 am: Edit

Should i study for the new SAT or the Old SAT?

By Suchitar (Suchitar) on Sunday, October 26, 2003 - 02:06 am: Edit

Just a little suggestion
you could start with your topic;the english is not entirely correct
a better way to phrase it ..how can a non english speaker do well on the sat?

good luck n cheers:)

By Pcqo (Pcqo) on Sunday, October 26, 2003 - 05:58 am: Edit

English is my 3rd language.
And 1 year ago my english was almost awful.
I remember taking the SATverbal in my hand and not understanding any of the words.

Anyways on these October SAT I scored 480 verbal and 780 math which is not bad for a 3rd language speaker.

I would suggest you to read what you like. Even solving math questions improve your english because you see different vocabulary from those of newspapers or magazines.

If you have one year and aim for Ivies I would suggest you to start with SAT2s so that you can learn english in a long time period , which is the best way for non-native speakers

By Gabypa (Gabypa) on Sunday, October 26, 2003 - 06:59 am: Edit

Guys, it *is* possible.

But, see, don't learn only in order to get into "the Ivies." Don't make the acing of a test the single purpose of your lives, because that's simply not worth it.

Learn cuz you want to. Learn out of the sheer joy of learning.

OK, I might be sounding a little bit, erm, cheesy, but I really mean what I'm saying. Reading a lot is by no way an onus. I cringe at those, who can just sit looking at lifeless wordlists, memorizing out-of-context words like mad fanatics.
Read *whatever* happens to be of your interest. Read it in English. Or in Greek, Latin, or whatever happens to be the language you're wanting to pick up.

But don't do it only cuz of a test! Doing so defeats its own purpose, cuz then you'll just be forcing yourself to learn something you aren't enjoying. You'll be thrusting down your throat stuff u hate. That's just bad.

You'll see that what I'm saying works.

Look. English is my, let's see, my fourth language or fifth language. I started learning it 3.5 years ago, approximately. Still, I received an 800 V on this October SAT. In January, I got an 800 in my Writing SAT II test. In May, I scored a 5 in the AP English Literature exam.

The only thing I did *especially* for this SAT test was buying Xiggi's tests, which in the end I didn't even have time to look at. I just ended up donating them to my school.

I *did* take, however, three 10 real SATs from that red book days before the exam.

So you don't have the red book? Alright. Another good way to practice is to check out CC frequently. There will be always someone looking for help with specific SAT questions. And since there will be always nice people answering them, you can be sure that you'll end up learning smth. By participating in the discussions, you'll see that you can also improve the way you look at the questions ETS presents to you.

I'm sure you guys rock the math section. You say you need help in the verbal section only, right?

OK, here's my final suggestion. Instead of wasting your days tied to a SAT prep book, get out, and help those around you. You'll see that in that way, whenever you get back home, your brain will be more receptive to whatever you want to learn. And if that isn't enough, just take a book or two to read during your breaks and free periods. That's all.

I hope this helps.

Gaby

By Y17k (Y17k) on Sunday, October 26, 2003 - 07:59 am: Edit

"OK, here's my final suggestion. Instead of wasting your days tied to a SAT prep book, get out, and help those around you. You'll see that in that way, whenever you get back home, your brain will be more receptive to whatever you want to learn. And if that isn't enough, just take a book or two to read during your breaks and free periods. That's all.
"

i dont see the connection between SATs, helping people, and brain receptiveness.

By Gabypa (Gabypa) on Sunday, October 26, 2003 - 08:14 am: Edit

My point was simply to convince you guys that there's a world besides SATs, that perhaps by attempting to make use of part of your time in a more "unselfish" purpose, you would de-stress and learn better.

It was, let's say, a purely proselytizing line, not a scientifically backed argument.

Sorry if that wasn't evident.

By Coureur (Coureur) on Sunday, October 26, 2003 - 08:46 am: Edit

My advice: since you have a whole year to prepare, starting reading British novels from the 19th century: Thackery, Trollope, Austen, Eliot, Hardy, etc. Read a couple of dozen. Read them with a dictionary at hand, and look up every new word you come across. For the most part they are pretty good stories, so it won't be so much drudgery as pure studying. And you will learn the language in its natural context rather than as disembodied facts to be painfully memorized.

As time draws close to the test, switch to SAT study guides.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page